Gareth Barry (Man City)

Si.

254 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Barry back?

I wouldn't take him back, He's 32 now and Irrespective of his wages, I just don't think he's that good anymore. Besides he's not a Lambert type of signing anyway. Rather have Luke Murphy from Crewe. 

I'd have Petrov in this years team if I could and he is 33. I would certainly take a 32 year old Barry as captain and leader of the revolution.

I'd take him at a push, but give him the captaincy back? What sort of message would that send to all our players and young fans?

as much as i want him back i think it would be counter productive, we cant try to build a team of young and hungry players etc then bring in barry on twice the wages. He would have to take a massive wage cut, then be willing to compete for his spot, i dont think hes interested in any of it. He would probably want a reasonably long contract too

I wouldn't take him back, He's 32 now and Irrespective of his wages, I just don't think he's that good anymore. Besides he's not a Lambert type of signing anyway. Rather have Luke Murphy from Crewe.

I'd have Petrov in this years team if I could and he is 33. I would certainly take a 32 year old Barry as captain and leader of the revolution.

I'd take him at a push, but give him the captaincy back? What sort of message would that send to all our players and young fans?

A good one

I think it's a myth that our policy is to only sign young cheap unknown players, i think (and hope) the policy is to sign the best players we can afford.

If we can afford Barry it would be a great signing

Edited by sne

The difference is we didn't sign Petrov when he was 32.

Would he take a huge wage cut (from probably £100k+ to £40k or lower) to come back to an area he wants to be in, at a club he has a soft spot for?

If he did, I would happily welcome him back.

• Like 1

not for me, he's lost a yard of pace when he didnt really have any anyway, think he'd come down here expecting to play every game too which when you consider how well sylla / delph / westwood played towards the end of the season wouldnt be that helpful, we'd effectively get him in and then straight away have 2 years to phase him out

Would he take a huge wage cut (from probably £100k+ to £40k or lower) to come back to an area he wants to be in, at a club he has a soft spot for?

It's a tough one. At current ability is he worth even 40k? We can't pay big wages just for somebody with experience, just for the sake of it. The only way I can see our current midfield unit splitting up is if we sign that huge CAM that everyone wants. Definitely not worth splitting up a unit that showed so much promise and can only improve by playing together, for the sake of a 33 year old. IMO.

As I recall he wasn't all that bothered about Villa when he did that interview in the Sun and tried to engineer his 'dream' move to Liverpool. Barry's not a Villa man in the same way Gabby is for example.

• Like 1

I am waiting for the thing that always seems to get trotted out in these circumstances when linked with an older player - "I wouldn't want Player X to come in, and stall the development of Player Y or Z".

I try not to get too sentimental about players, if we can get in someone better then I am happy for ANY of of team to be replaced, including Benteke and Guzan!

Gareth Barry would improve our team without a shadow of a doubt, and dare I say he would be the first midfielder on the team sheet!

I am waiting for the thing that always seems to get trotted out in these circumstances when linked with an older player - "I wouldn't want Player X to come in, and stall the development of Player Y or Z".

I try not to get too sentimental about players, if we can get in someone better then I am happy for ANY of of team to be replaced, including Benteke and Guzan!

Gareth Barry would improve our team without a shadow of a doubt, and dare I say he would be the first midfielder on the team sheet!

I'd hazard a guess you haven't watched him play recently. 

As I recall he wasn't all that bothered about Villa when he did that interview in the Sun and tried to engineer his 'dream' move to Liverpool. Barry's not a Villa man in the same way Gabby is for example.

Like Trent, I've heard from people close to him that he would happily come back to Villa one day. He's not a Villa fan, like Gabby, but you can see that he wanted to leave to win things. Though the way he left wasn't the best.

Yes! I'm basing this on the fact that I think (although I could be wrong) that he's very professional & has always looked after himself (in the same way Giggs has), so I don't see why he couldn't keep on playing at a high level right into his late thirties. I don't see why we couldn't make good use out of him for a couple of seasons at least.

I'd hazard a guess you haven't watched him play recently.

Yes, I have seen him play thank you.

I apologise that I didn't put IMO at the end of my post, you clearly don't share the same opinion as myself.

So, he'd struggle to get into our side Stefan?

Like Trent, I've heard from people close to him that he would happily come back to Villa one day. He's not a Villa fan, like Gabby, but you can see that he wanted to leave to win things. Though the way he left wasn't the best.

We'd just finished sixth in the league with a very good team, If he really cared about Villa he could have stayed and helped us win things.

I'd take him back in a heartbeat as we could do with a bit of experience and stability in midfield.

I think he'll sit on his £120,000 per week contract for one last year though.

Edited by R.I.C.O.

Â