Gareth Barry (Man City)

Si.

254 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Barry back?

Sorry, but they were rather exciting last year and I wouldn't want to see all of that go to waste.

Taking into account the vast majority of the season, that is one delusional statement.

What was rather exciting about them being battered 8-0 and so on. The amount of times the midfield was overan was huge.

There was a reason the whole site (and the whole footballing world) was crying out for someone with a bit of experience in January and that was certainly not because it was rather exciting.

The last few months were better, but the degree to which some are confident that will definitely continue into this season is mind blowing really.

I meant towards the end of the season when the whole team were playing well. I think it kind of goes without saying that they weren't exciting when they were losing 8-0 but hey.

Edited by Keyblade

I meant towards the end of the season when the whole team were playing well. I think it kind of goes without saying that they weren't exciting when they were losing 8-0 but hey.

Well for me, that is just not enough proof they can hack it in this league just yet. I think a steady head next to them will just help them a long nicely.

Exactly. I don't want to turn into a Liverpool-fan in taking every good result out of the context and putting everything on that. Yes we won some matches at the end of the season when we really had to and when most teams already were on the beach. Against every top team we lost every single time and never stood a chance. Not counting Liverpool as they aren't really a top team any longer. Delph, even though I love the fact that he stayed and is looking better, is not remotely close to Gareth Barry in terms of ability. Yet. We really need some experience and cool-heads in the middle of the pitch, a leader and a captain. Petrov was never a brilliant player but he played with stature and calmed the other ones down when under pressure. Westwood, Sylla and Delph are all three young and inexperienced, and their efforts can drop from game to game. A player like Barry would be very vital to us, both in terms of leading the line and also tutoring the younger guys. Imagine having Ryan Giggs, Steven Gerrard or Frank Lampard as your mentor on the training ground every day.

• Like 1

EXACTLY what we need to help the youngsters through next season .

We now have no one in the first team with years of experience and so he fits the bill.

I would take Gaz Baz back any day of the week.

Personally I would take him back, experience in the middle of the park, a starting eleven of: Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar, Okore, Luna, Barry, Westwood, Belhanda, Gabby, Weimann and Benteke, would be a top 7 challenging side :)

Yes please please please. Gaz Baz loves Villa and would be an amazing mentor to Westwood. If the wages aren't outrageous then make it happen Lambert!

Baz loves the Villa? Loved the money more at Citeh though don't you think? - or so it would appear.

His last big pay day won't be at VP thank you very much

Stop kidding yourself that he left for money. He has gone on to win major honours and his decision totally justified.

Don't be so naive. He left for the money 1st & the honours 2nd.

I disagree

He's won the FA Cup and Premier League since leaving us whilst we've generally flirted with relegation.

I was also gutted when he left but this is churlish at best

When you say you were also gutted when he left I hope your not including me in that remark because I was happy to see the back of him. Great International player, average premier League player who is a carthorse. Yes, he has his medals, but I think you'll find he has an even bigger bank balance.

Am I unhappy about that? No. If he can earn good money then good luck to him. However, don't insult my intelligence by claiming your main reason for leaving is to win medals.

Sorry! I'm not buying into that.

Also, anybody who doesn't want to stay & play for the club I love & support can clear off as far as I am concerned.

Let me put it this way, to you & anybody else visiting this site

Would you change your allegiance to follow Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea etc etc to see them win trophies?

I think you all know what my answer will be!

Poor analogy if you ask me. You're comparing being a fan to someone's career.

Let me ask you this... Would you play professional football for Man Utd, Man City or Chelsea if they came a knocking?

No, No a thousand times No.

I'm 100% Villa . Would I like to play in a Villa shirt & whup the arse of all those teams? Yes! Absolutely.

I'm checking off this site for now but here's the bottom line

Fat Boy did not want to stick around & play for this club & left at the first concrete opportunity to jump ship after previously having stunk the place out with similar claims when FSW failed to come up with £12M to take him to Liverpool 12 months earlier & completely blew his mind.

Take your final swan song somewhere else!

Okay, HUGELY hypothetical here, but let's say the opportunity to play for Villa isnt an option and you're playing for another PL team AGAINST Villa. You're one on one with the keeper in the last minute and you could win a crucial match for your employer.

What do you do?

speed-keanu-reeves-3222278-355-400.jpg

What do you do?

Surely you know the obvious answer to that.

I'd score in my own net & score the winning goal for my beloved Villa & throw myself into the Villa fans & celebrate like a mad man.

Anymore daft questions?

It's hard enough trying to off load the Barry that we already have let alone getting another one in.

Gareth Barry (Fat Boy) is slower than a snail. Paul Lambert requires energy in midfield & `The Snail` is not going to provide that.

Don't get me wrong because in my opinion Fat Boy has been England's best if not only decent player in the past 10 years at International level. Easily better than Lampard & Gerrard. Fat Boy is the only English player capable of getting the ball & keeping it. The rest (Rooney included) are at times a total embarrassment.

Is Barry better than Rooney, Lampard & Gerrard at Premier League level? No! Not by a country mile.

There are younger & better players out there now than fat boy & I'm certain Lambo will reveal "That player" that we all crave in the coming weeks.

Thanks for your efforts whilst previously at Villa Park Fat Boy  but to sum up as far as a return goes - No Fat Boy - No! No! No!

Personally I don't think "That Player" exists in Lamberts mind...its just what I think.

If he was with one of the worlds biggest clubs " That Player" may exist, but he's not, he's got a plan/blueprint and I think he's going to stick to it....unless something daft happens for him to change his mind.

TRO - `That Player` does exist. our one big Marquee signing of the Summer & Lambo wil swoop to sign him soon. 

Wait till all the issues surrounding the dead beats & the deadwood are resolved & see if it doesn't happen.

One thing's for certain, it won't be Fat Boy (slim)

If you heard him talking before the Dortmund/Munich game...you wouldn't be so sure.

But hey we will have to wait and see.

Whilst he might 'stifle' some of the young players by keeping one of them out of the first team he will equally improve there development. They will learn lots from his quality and experience at the training ground every day and will bring even more competition for the starting XI. ANd when the kids do eventually overtake him he would be a good steady head to bring on as a sub around the 70min mark to help actually defend a lead for once! 

^^^ Exactly, he has never relied on pace and has if anything improved whilst at City. Anyone who would seriously turn him down must be mad.

I do love comments like this. 

Whilst he never relied on his pace that doesn't mean as he gets less mobile it wont effect him, which it has.

He's just not right for us anymore anyway.

Really? Last time I checked he was a regular for a team who has finished 2nd and won the league in their last two seasons with him in their midfield. If his mobility had diminished would he be starting for a team like that?

Nope, he has adapted his game if anything. He'd be a great player for us, what exactly about him isn't right for us? The fact that he's a very good passer? The fact that his positional sense is excellent? The fact that he knows the role of a central midfielder like the back of his hand? The fact that he has top drawer experience?

The only issue is wages and that is totally on him. If he was prepared to take a huge cut then I'd welcome him with open arms.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

(remember the reception he got when he first came back to VP?)

Yeah I thought it was pretty pathetic at the time.

Gareth Barry owed us nothing. He gave 10 very good years and its a bit sad that some fans choose to remember one little moment where his agent (who Barry got rid of as a result I think) acted like a clearing in the woods.

The worst are the mugs who still revere James Milner but in the same breath are happy to slate Barry.

Gareth Barry had a straight choice. Sign a bumper new contract at Villa Park & try & help us secure Champions league status or swan off to money bags Manchester City on Mega Bucks & try & get them to do the same.

He chose Man City over us. His choice pure & simple. I have not forgotten, nor have many others.

There I rest my case

It's hard enough trying to off load the Barry that we already have let alone getting another one in.

Gareth Barry (Fat Boy) is slower than a snail. Paul Lambert requires energy in midfield & `The Snail` is not going to provide that.

Don't get me wrong because in my opinion Fat Boy has been England's best if not only decent player in the past 10 years at International level. Easily better than Lampard & Gerrard. Fat Boy is the only English player capable of getting the ball & keeping it. The rest (Rooney included) are at times a total embarrassment.

Is Barry better than Rooney, Lampard & Gerrard at Premier League level? No! Not by a country mile.

There are younger & better players out there now than fat boy & I'm certain Lambo will reveal "That player" that we all crave in the coming weeks.

Thanks for your efforts whilst previously at Villa Park Fat Boy  but to sum up as far as a return goes - No Fat Boy - No! No! No!

Jesus VR. I don't want this to sound bad (it's going to anyway) but the repeated used of capitalised "Fat Boy" makes you sound like a twelve year old bully in a playground. Please don't do it, unless you are actually 12 in which case I apologise.

Gareth Barry had a straight choice. Sign a bumper new contract at Villa Park & try & help us secure Champions league status or swan off to money bags Manchester City on Mega Bucks & try & get them to do the same.

He chose Man City over us. His choice pure & simple. I have not forgotten, nor have many others.

There I rest my case

What case is that? That you need to get out more?  ;)

I think its clear he made the right decision.

Â