Gareth Barry (Man City)

Si.

254 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Barry back?

Actually, I'm pretty sure you did a few months back.

Nope, said it was one of the worst.

Certainly in the bottom 100 - which is in the bottom 25%

Bottom 25% would make it below average, certainly not "one of the worst".

Do you think Barry would improve the midfield?

While having a go at people for what they said in the past maybe you should remember your hilarious prediction from last year that we had as much chance of finishing 6th as we did getting relegated.

On Barry, if the wages were reasonable I see no negative at all.

Wouldn't it be good for Westwood to not have to be relied upon every single game? Wouldn't it be good if we could rotate and not lose quality? Or have good cover for injuries and tiredness? Wouldn't it be good to have serious competition for places? Wouldn't it be good to have a truly great player for our youngsters to learn from?

I'm not "having a go" at anyone, and making a prediction is a lot different to making a statement.

Anyway, I could dredge up loads of ridiculous things you've said in the past.

Yes but I'm not the one trying to have a cheap pop at someone for what they said in the past am I?

Below average? Seen as though 50% would be average, your clutching at straws a bit there mantis.

I would be more confident going in to the season with one or 2 players in important positions that I know can cope with a full season in the premiership. Bar our strike force and Guzan, I don't think there is one single player who has been consistent for a whole season.

While having a go at people for what they said in the past maybe you should remember your hilarious prediction from last year that we had as much chance of finishing 6th as we did getting relegated.

On Barry, if the wages were reasonable I see no negative at all.

Wouldn't it be good for Westwood to not have to be relied upon every single game? Wouldn't it be good if we could rotate and not lose quality? Or have good cover for injuries and tiredness? Wouldn't it be good to have serious competition for places? Wouldn't it be good to have a truly great player for our youngsters to learn from?

I'm not "having a go" at anyone, and making a prediction is a lot different to making a statement.

Anyway, I could dredge up loads of ridiculous things you've said in the past.

Yes but I'm not the one trying to have a cheap pop at someone for what they said in the past am I?

I'm not trying to have a cheap pop at anyone.

Below average? Seen as though 50% would be average, your clutching at straws a bit there mantis.

I would be more confident going in to the season with one or 2 players in important positions that I know can cope with a full season in the premiership. Bar our strike force and Guzan, I don't think there is one single player who has been consistent for a whole season.

Not really. 25% is below 50% is it not?

What about Barry though? He's really getting on a bit now and I'm confident Lambert could pick up someone better elsewhere.

Edited by Mantis

On paper, bar the last 10 or so games of last season, that midfield is absolutely awful.

The one thing that does make me think positive is I know we have a manager who can be successful with weak teams.

Gareth barry would at least add some much needed calmness throughout the side.

Edited by Woodytom

On paper, bar the last 10 or so games of last season, that midfield is absolutely awful.

The one thing that does make me think positive is I know we have a manager who can be successful with weak teams.

It's poor I'm not doubting that but I don't think it's one of the worst ever.

Yeah but generally our midfield was pretty good towards the back end of last season. What's to say they won't continue to improve? I agree we need to buy a playmaker and perhaps a DM but Sylla, Delph and Westwood definitely showed promise.

Yeah but generally our midfield was pretty good towards the back end of last season. What's to say they won't continue to improve? I agree we need to buy a playmaker and perhaps a DM but Sylla, Delph and Westwood definitely showed promise.

Nothing, they probably will improve but there seems to be this belief that we are going to go into next season and be comfortable and I am not really sure what it is based on.

We have not kept a clean sheet for yonks

We are buying players who are completely unknown at this level.

As I see it could really go either way. Somebody like Barry will just give us that experience to keep us out of difficulty imo.

Put it this way Mantis, as it stands, can we really afford Vlaar or Gabby to get injured atm? 

I am critical of both at times, but their presence towards the end of the season was evident. We need back up that is not inexperience with potential.

Edited by Woodytom

Yes to Barry, as long as we could get a CAM too. Would improve our squad greatly. The reason our defence was so poor last season was because our midfield was awful for the first half of the season and it's the weakest part of our squad IMO

What about Barry though? He's really getting on a bit now and I'm confident Lambert could pick up someone better elsewhere.

I am a big fan of Lambert but he has signed a number of midfielders and I would struggle to make a case that any of them currently have anything like the ability that Gareth Barry still has. Potentially a couple of our midfielders could get to Barrys level and again Lambert could sign a young player with the potential to be very, very good.

Promising young players with potential in central midfield are not what we need though at present. We have a number of them already. I am a big fan of Westwood, Delph and Sylla but what they need is someone alongside them who has been there, done it and has that little bit of nous to know when to slow a game down and keep possession. The amount of times last season we conceded with in 10-20 mins of taking the lead was unbelievable. A big reason for that was lacking someone with in the side, a leader, who could calm those around him down and who knew what to do in those situations.

Gareth Barry is 32 and he is good for another 2 or 3 seasons at this level. The knowledge he could pass on to the young lads, whilst still easily being capable of holding his own ability wise, would be invaluable.

• Like 1

Nothing, they probably will improve but there seems to be this belief that we are going to go into next season and be comfortable and I am not really sure what it is based on.

We have not kept a clean sheet for yonks

We are buying players who are completely unknown at this level.

As I see it could really go either way. Somebody like Barry will just give us that experience to keep us out of difficulty imo.

Probably because towards the end of last season we look decent. The fact that we haven't signed people who are "proven" or "known" at this level is irrelevant. Pretty much all our best performers last season bar Gabby were relative unknowns at this level at the beginning of the season.

Put it this way Mantis, as it stands, can we really afford Vlaar or Gabby to get injured atm? 

I am critical of both at times, but their presence towards the end of the season was evident. We need back up that is not inexperience with potential.

Depends on how the new signings perform.

its a no brainer, GB knows villa inside out,he would  bring on all the new young players,at 32 hes can do a job still no problem as pace was never their,players like barry read the game,i look at barry like lampards job at chelsea.. this young side needs some genuine class and experience,. 

All the ones saying signing Barry would be a great signing? I thought it was totally clear what Lamberts and Villas plans are and which everyone is so optimistic about.

Signing a 32 year old on high wages and past his best is a jump back to the dark old days. Do you all want to go back to that and continue to have players on massive contracts who we cant get shot of.

Â