Nicklas Helenius

bickster

Should send him to the Championship for a couple of months on loan and hopefully he would score a few goals, show what he can really do in England and then come back in March/April and smash a few goals in for the Villa before the seasons out.

Should send him to the Championship for a couple of months on loan and hopefully he would score a few goals, show what he can really do in England and then come back in March/April and smash a few goals in for the Villa before the seasons out.

Send him to Notts County and have him link up with Jack and build a partnership I say

Villa boss hoping Nicklas Helenius can learn from Grant Holt 22 Jan 2014 06:54

No plans to send Nicklas Helenius out on loan as Paul Lambert looks for Danish youngster to learn from more experienced Villa team-mates

niklas-helenius-5101071.jpgNicklas Helenius

Paul Lambert has ruled out sending Nicklas Helenius on loan – but admits the young forward has fallen behind “streetwise” striker Grant Holt in Aston Villa’s attacking pecking order.

Lambert would prefer Helenius to stay at Bodymoor Heath and learn from the likes of Holt, Christian Benteke and Gabby Agbonlahor rather than making a temporary move away from Villa this month.

He admits the Danish international has impressed with his finishing in training – but reckons the 6ft 5in frontman needs to be physically stronger to compete in the Premier League.

Asked if the 22-year-old would be sent out on loan, Lambert replied: “Not at the minute, no.

“He’s not frustrated, that’s one thing Nicklas is not. If you watch Helenius finish in training he very rarely misses the target. He’s a young guy and he’s learning.

Villa-v-Sheff-Utd-3-6470668.png
Action Images / Alex Morton
Nicklas Helenius

“Holty will bring experience. He’s streetwise. He’ll get you free-kicks where maybe a younger player might not be able to do that for you.

“When Nicklas starts to get the physical side of it then he’ll handle it, I’ve got no worries about that. Holt’s got the experience of it and he knows how to use his body.”

Captain Ron Vlaar reckons Helenius will take confidence from opening his goal account in the FA Cup defeat to Sheffield United.

“When he scored his first competitive goal for the club everyone was really happy for him,” said Vlaar.

“Although he hasn’t had much match action, Nicklas has worked really hard to become a stronger, better footballer and that excellent strike will give him enormous confidence.

“He might also find himself involved more because of Libor Kozak’s misfortune.”

Clicky

I am perplexed by these comments by Paul Lambert.

He was signed as a wide forward apparently. Hes not physical enough for Premier League. But Tonev is? I can name another 10 players that arent as physical as Helenius.

I can understand in a forward position.. he may not have the strength to hold up the ball but that wasnt why he was signed.

Hes a great finisher.. never misses in training...  the only game he had a chance in recently and he proved that to be correct. So why does he need to be physical.. if he gets a chance and puts it away.. isnt that what a striker is for?

Height: 1.95 m

Weight: 83 kg

Jordan Bowery

Height: 1.85 m
Weight: 76 kg

Mr Tonev

Height: 1.78 m
Weight: 69 kg

Maybe Helenius is just fat?

We needed someone who can put the ball in the net during Benteke's dry spell (which has hopefully ended) and lambert is suggesting that player was here all along but he unwilling to play him.

I like Lambert but he does make it hard to.

Being physical isn't only about benching 200 pounds and weighing in at the same as Alan Shearer though. It's about battle and daring to go for every ball even though you might be tackled to the floor by Nemanja Vidic or John Terry. Peter Crouch is 8 cm taller and weighs 8 kilos less than Helenius, but he has made it to some degree because he isn't afraid to go up for headers or compete for a ball. Crouch is the most extreme example of course, but I bet there's a lot of insanely good strikers on 180+ cm and <85 kg out there. 

Putting on a few pounds of muscle will of course help him a lot because of balance and pure strength in duels with strong defenders, but the most important part is to learn the tempo and dare to use your body, it's not like he is underweight given his 83 kg. Besides, he is a striker and he is supposed to get into positions to score goals. Wingers and attacking midfielders are much more accustomed to heavy tackles and they are generally given a hard time compared to strikers looking for room to score, and you see that the ones that dare are the ones that succeed.

However, if you aren't creating space for yourself, if you are constantly tackled out of the game and always finding yourself close to the defender another factor might come in. The fact that he just isn't good enough for this level at the present moment - and that's why he isn't getting any games whatsoever. He isn't particularly young either, it's not like he is some 18 year old talent with five years to learn from others before being relied upon. He is two years older than Romelu Lukaku for example, and the fact that he isn't fit or mentally strong enough should have been an important parameter before we signed him.

He was signed as a wide forward apparently. Hes not physical enough for Premier League. But Tonev is? I can name another 10 players that arent as physical as Helenius.

I can understand in a forward position.. he may not have the strength to hold up the ball but that wasnt why he was signed.

ITK?

Lambert seems to be talking about him as competition for/with Benteke/Holt/Agbonlahor which suggests he sees him as a striker.

He's strong enough to keep going when someone pulls his pants down so surely that's got to count for something?

Perhaps that's the kind of 'street-wise' thing Lambert is talking about. Could you imagine Suarez continuing? As soon as the Spurs player touched him, he'd be on the floor.

Having said that, Liverpool would get the free kick/penalty. I doubt we would.

i think lambert sees something really special in this guy got a feeling the reason why he aint playing him yet is cuz the pressure on these players in this league is crazy and strikers can be very tempramental in terms of their confidence so if he does come in and have a stinker then his confidence will be shot.

got a feeling he is being blooded in very slowly. didnt the same thing happen with weiman we brought him from rapid vienna young striker but last season only truely became a regular.

• Like 1

i think lambert sees something really special in this guy got a feeling the reason why he aint playing him yet is cuz the pressure on these players in this league is crazy and strikers can be very tempramental in terms of their confidence so if he does come in and have a stinker then his confidence will be shot.

got a feeling he is being blooded in very slowly. didnt the same thing happen with weiman we brought him from rapid vienna young striker but last season only truely became a regular.

Well no. Weimann was signed as a 16 yr old on a youth contract.

Barely misses the target and knows how to finish..... FFS just play him lol.... we have the "physcial" players in Benteke and Holt to take the beating and then all Helenius would have to do in run across and slot it in which he would apparently do as he knows how to finish!

Lambert might aswell just say "He doesn't dive enough so won't win us free kicks"..... most of our free kicks are utter turd anyways!!!

Â