Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

3 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I'd say that's perfectly sound and sensible motivation for a 31 year old full-back. 

I present jolean lescott of villa as a counter argument, he was older mind you but could go that way pending on the level of motivation he has

Edited by Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I present jolean lescott of villa as a counter argument, he was older mind you but could go that way pending on the level of motivation he has

I have no idea what this means.

13 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I'd say that's perfectly sound and sensible motivation for a 31 year old full-back. 

Motivation to go there true.

But motivation to go there and motivation to perform for them are 2 different things

I mean come on. What do you think going from a La Liga title winner to a relegation dog fight could do to the motivation of a player?

I could be wrong but I don't think we will see the best of Trippier in a Newcastle shirt

Edited by villalad21

With James, TAA etc I'd say he's going for 1 last shot in an England squad that should do well at the WC

He'd have earned decent money at spurs and Atletico 

Not seen anything on contract duration though, that'd be the money motivation thing, are they going to pay him after the WC and in to retirement? But that's a problem for another day as far as Newcastle are concerned 

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Motivation to go there true.

But motivation to go there and motivation to perform for them are 2 different things

Sure. I just don't see why that should enter into Trippier's mind. Whether he is motivated to perform or not isn't his problem.

He's not some 23 year old picking up a big wage on a bench instead of playing. He's done his "medals and memories" stuff. He's played abroad and won a league title. 

He now wants to come back closer to home. I don't see how going and playing a dozen matches for Man Utd or getting a quarter of the money for Burnley (not that that's an option) is any more noble than what he has chosen. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Sure. I just don't see why that should enter into Trippier's mind. Whether he is motivated to perform or not isn't his problem.

He's not some 23 year old picking up a big wage on a bench instead of playing. He's done his "medals and memories" stuff. He's played abroad and won a league title. 

He now wants to come back closer to home. I don't see how going and playing a dozen matches for Man Utd or getting a quarter of the money for Burnley (not that that's an option) is any more noble than what he has chosen. 

Going from champions to a relegation scrap just seem like such a massive drop off for me.

I don't think we will see the best of his qualities at Newcastle.

I still remember when they signed Owen and everyone was going mental about it. Hopefully the same happens again.

18 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Going from champions to a relegation scrap just seem like such a massive drop off for me.

I don't think we will see the best of his qualities at Newcastle.

I agree. But I don't see why he needs to care about that. And I also don't see what his alternative is, given where he wants to live and raise his kids.

And if there was another club a few places higher up the league willing to buy him, why he shouldn't (at this stage in his career) make his financial future his main priority. 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

Newcastle can sell players the idea that if they survive this season then there's a chance to be part of something big, comparable to what happened with Manchester City, it's not just about this season, but what they can offer going forward, and even if they do go down this season, Trippier will have a get out clause, so it's a no lose situation for him.

I've always thought he's slightly overrated anyway, a good solid performer that rarely has a bad game but nothing paticularly special and he alone won't make a big difference to their defence, obviously they're going to sign more defenders but then it becomes a question of whether or not it's wise to make that many changes part way through the season.

Trippier signing is more positive for them in the sense of what it says about their ambitions as an whole rather anything to do with the players ability, because they've managed to sign an England international, from one of the biggest clubs in Spain as their first signing, so it sends out a message that they mean business and will probably help them to attract other players.

• Like 3

ive got the same reservations about coutinho so understand where its coming from but they're 2 excellent points above in regards to where he wants to live and what the sales pitch of newcastle is

would add something further - he's not failed at atletico, he's won the league, you factor in the ban and he's played a decent chunk of games for them too, he's not returning to england under a cloud of suspicion as to whether or not he's been good enough or a good signing for atletico, to me its more like he went on a bit of an adventure, played for a very good team and brilliant coach while the opportunity was there, ticked a box and now he's ready to come back and he's lined up his retirement plan, they'll see him out for his career

my only hope is that they go down and they're stuck with him or they stay up and within a year they need to replace him while not being able to shift him, got no problem with him making the move i just dont want it to work out for them!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

What does Lescott being rubbish for Villa have to do with why Trippier might want to join Newcastle?

As stated, lescott at villa joined (and i also pointed out at a later point of his career than trippier) and wasnt here for the club. He leeched off us and wanted a final pay day.  So this could be the case with trippier who is 31. Coming for the money and not for any other reason.

I do hope that clears up any confusion

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

As stated, lescott at villa joined (and i also pointed out at a later point of his career than trippier) and wasnt here for the club. He leeched off us and wanted a final pay day.  So this could be the case with trippier who is 31. Coming for the money and not for any other reason.

Trippier is joining to mainly get in the World Cup squad 

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I struggle to see how it's a counter argument to me saying "it's absolutely fine if Trippier wants to go to Newcastle for the money".

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Trippier is joining to mainly get in the World Cup squad 

Problem is right back is a area england has so many good right backs. I know southgate likes him but for me we should be looking at other younger options like reece james trent etc

Â