Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

34 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Could you explain what like then? And why you think he won't be?

Is no chance Rafa is coming to Villa Park in the near future unless as an opposition manager. He dropped down for one season to Championship and doubt he will do it again when clubs all over Europe will want him if he leaves Newcastle

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Is no chance Rafa is coming to Villa Park in the near future unless as an opposition manager. He dropped down for one season to Championship and doubt he will do it again when clubs all over Europe will want him if he leaves Newcastle

He never really dropped down but he came down with Newcastle in a view to get them back up, which he did.

And possibility being Zatman that yeah he won't come here, but no chance..? I guess the same was said about Terry too.

Now I am not saying that he will deffo leave Newcastle and say, oh yes Villa.. let's go!  But you would hope that A, we atleast try to get someone of this calibre. B, Have our sights set higher than just the Dean Smith's etc.

If I had said months ago the same thing but for Pulis instead, I guess your answer may have also been similar and he wouldn't come anywhere near the Championship either if he where to leave WBA with plenty of other clubs in the Prem would snap him up!..  he lands up at Middlesvilla!

In a world where football has gone to a different level I would say that at first glance maybe not possible, but it wouldn't be nigh impossible either.

If Tony/Villa come along and said right Ashley, heres potentially £6m waiting, we want to talk to Rafa.  I don't think it should be totally written off until the man himself where to say no, but to just assume he would say no is debatable.

50 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

He never really dropped down but he came down with Newcastle in a view to get them back up, which he did.

And possibility being Zatman that yeah he won't come here, but no chance..? I guess the same was said about Terry too.

Now I am not saying that he will deffo leave Newcastle and say, oh yes Villa.. let's go!  But you would hope that A, we atleast try to get someone of this calibre. B, Have our sights set higher than just the Dean Smith's etc.

If I had said months ago the same thing but for Pulis instead, I guess your answer may have also been similar and he wouldn't come anywhere near the Championship either if he where to leave WBA with plenty of other clubs in the Prem would snap him up!..  he lands up at Middlesvilla!

In a world where football has gone to a different level I would say that at first glance maybe not possible, but it wouldn't be nigh impossible either.

If Tony/Villa come along and said right Ashley, heres potentially £6m waiting, we want to talk to Rafa.  I don't think it should be totally written off until the man himself where to say no, but to just assume he would say no is debatable.

Another reason he won’t come here is because Mike Ashley is trying to sell the club and Rafa is one of the assets making it a more attractive purchase.

Just now, Genie said:

Another reason he won’t come here is because Mike Ashley is trying to sell the club and Rafa is one of the assets making it a more attractive purchase.

Even more reason we should throw in a cheeky £6m bid for him and scupper their takeover at the same time. ;)

10 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Even more reason we should throw in a cheeky £6m bid for him and scupper their takeover at the same time. ;)

I can’t see MA getting excited about that when he’s currenlty trying to flog the club for £400m and letting Rafa go will make it less attractive (plus he will have to then spend money bringing in a new management team). 

25 minutes ago, Genie said:

I can’t see MA getting excited about that when he’s currenlty trying to flog the club for £400m and letting Rafa go will make it less attractive (plus he will have to then spend money bringing in a new management team). 

But the man has a £6m buyout clause, so if that was met there is not a thing Ashley could do about it anyway?

30 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

But the man has a £6m buyout clause, so if that was met there is not a thing Ashley could do about it anyway?

There is no way even an out of work manager of Rafas ability would drop down a division to us, let alone one occupying a premier league job.

10 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Could you explain what like then? And why you think he won't be?

It’s not like Terry coming here. Terry is at the end of his career, he was actively looking for a step down and a challenge at a lower level. He’s also friends with Bruce so there was a connection there too. 

Rafa is not at the end of his career. He doesn’t have to actively look for a step down. The only reason he was managing at this level is because the relatively big premier league job he had been given found him relegated to the Championship and he was convinced to stay. 

Had Newcastle been relegated and THEN tried to get Rafa, he wouldn’t have gone there. Just like he wouldn’t come here. He is way too good for this job. 

I don’t know who you’re trying to convince with this. Everyone on this board would agree that Rafa would be a fantastic appointment. You don’t have to convince us of that. 

But it isn’t going to happen. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s not like Terry coming here. Terry is at the end of his career, he was actively looking for a step down and a challenge at a lower level. He’s also friends with Bruce so there was a connection there too. 

We know that now, but let's be honest no one and their brother would ever have merely suggested signing JT in the months before hand let alone thinking he would drop down for a challenge at a lower level by coming to us. It was a statement of intent by us also to show our ambition by pulling it off. 

The links and connections you suggest also helped. Granted.

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Rafa is not at the end of his career. He doesn’t have to actively look for a step down. The only reason he was managing at this level is because the relatively big premier league job he had been given found him relegated to the Championship and he was convinced to stay.

True he isn't and I agree he doesn't have to actively look for a step down.

Yes he stood by Newcastle and was convinced to stay and kept his part of the bargain and got them back up, Ashley never kept his part though - suprise suprise!

- again he (Rafa) didn't have to and could have left for a team with bigger heights across europe.

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Had Newcastle been relegated and THEN tried to get Rafa, he wouldn’t have gone there. Just like he wouldn’t come here. He is way too good for this job.

It's no different to them being relegated and then convincing him to stay then when he again could have left?

In another sense I agree, they are not a bigger pull than what we are and not that attractive for that to have happened hypothetically, no

I don't understand how he is way too good for this job but was good enough for a relegated Newcastle after a bit of persuasion?

43 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don’t know who you’re trying to convince with this. Everyone on this board would agree that Rafa would be a fantastic appointment. You don’t have to convince us of that. 

I am not trying to convince anyone about anything but merely posting in the topic of which it relates and a potential interest at that of mere suggestion for us a club to ponder over.

He would absolutely be a fantastic coup of a manager no question but I don't think he is as ungettable as many would think. Ultimately it would be down to him if he fancied it but as it stands, We are currently 9pts away from an automatic promotion spot and 5 months left in this league (hopefully) - bit let's be honest, it is Hardly an unattractive position for the manager in question or any decent manager that has the same ilk.

- Just a thought following what our own targets are as a club and what Tony Xia set as an aim upon his arrival for us to achieve.

We are a demanding lot and I think this is the 'type' of manager we should be aiming our sights at next, your Dean Smiths and Gary Rowetts as good as they are, don't strike me as being Top 4 esq managers who have been and done it which is surely the kind that we should be going for?

We have already had one Champions League winning manager so I don't think we are that unattractive to say the least.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

There is no way even an out of work manager of Rafas ability would drop down a division to us, let alone one occupying a premier league job.

Yep. A premier league job that is only one takeover collapse away from total disaster where it to happen.

If he was manager of Man City or the likes I would totally understand the reasoning, - he is in charge of a Newcastle team hovering above relegation in a hope of a takeover happening soon in the bid to sign reinforcements whilst having a weak clause in his contract. Hardly the most cemented jobs of security and stability now is it? ;)

17 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

We know that now, but let's be honest no one and their brother would ever have merely suggested signing JT in the months before hand let alone thinking he would drop down for a challenge at a lower level by coming to us. It was a statement of intent by us also to show our ambition by pulling it off. 

The links and connections you suggest also helped. Granted.

True he isn't and I agree he doesn't have to actively look for a step down.

Yes he stood by Newcastle and was convinced to stay and kept his part of the bargain and got them back up, Ashley never kept his part though - suprise suprise!

- again he (Rafa) didn't have to and could have left for a team with bigger heights across europe.

It's no different to them being relegated and then convincing him to stay then when he again could have left?

In another sense I agree, they are not a bigger pull than what we are and not that attractive for that to have happened hypothetically, no

I don't understand how he is way too good for this job but was good enough for a relegated Newcastle after a bit of persuasion?

I am not trying to convince anyone about anything but merely posting in the topic of which it relates and a potential interest at that of mere suggestion for us a club to ponder over.

He would absolutely be a fantastic coup of a manager no question but I don't think he is as ungettable as many would think. Ultimately it would be down to him if he fancied it but as it stands, We are currently 9pts away from an automatic promotion spot and 5 months left in this league (hopefully) - bit let's be honest, it is Hardly an unattractive position for the manager in question or any decent manager that has the same ilk.

- Just a thought following what our own targets are as a club and what Tony Xia set as an aim upon his arrival for us to achieve.

We are a demanding lot and I think this is the 'type' of manager we should be aiming our sights at next, your Dean Smiths and Gary Rowetts as good as they are, don't strike me as being Top 4 esq managers who have been and done it which is surely the kind that we should be going for?

We have already had one Champions League winning manager so I don't think we are that unattractive to say the least.

I admire your passion. 

53 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I hope we aim for the calibre of players such as Lionel Messi too. We need to aim high. 

He’d never come here. 

Although apparently someone said that about Terry too, which therefore means anything is possible ;) 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, bobzy said:

I hope we aim for the calibre of players such as Lionel Messi too. We need to aim high. 

Possibly.. You might need to wait 5 years though when he is near the end of his career and he might just then want to actively look for a step down and a challenge at a lower level?

He will probably sign for someone like Newcastle though who are deemed to have became a much bigger club than we are apparantly?

- If they can convince champions league winning managers to stay with them whilst in the championship then anything is indeed possible. ;)

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Â