Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

It's a tough situation for them - as it will be for us if we get it wrong.

They've spent a lot. A lot more than I thought actually looking at the numbers and it's basically a case of, you have your 500m squad, that's your lot until you sell a player or two. 

It will be interesting to see what they do. Like us, their best player is a Brazilian central midfielder who is, in a world where Declan Rice is 100m, a 100m pound player. How brave are they going to be? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

They've spent a lot. A lot more than I thought actually looking at the numbers and it's basically a case of, you have your 500m squad, that's your lot until you sell a player or two. 

It will be interesting to see what they do. Like us, their best player is a Brazilian central midfielder who is, in a world where Declan Rice is 100m, a 100m pound player. How brave are they going to be? 

Rumour is that Bruno has a £99m release clause 

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

They've spent a lot. A lot more than I thought actually looking at the numbers and it's basically a case of, you have your 500m squad, that's your lot until you sell a player or two

This is the main reason for their current circumstances.  They have made about £60m from players sales the last 3 seasons, we have roughly £200m from sales in same period. People wonder why City can spend so much, they have made over £300m from players sales in same period.

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

thats not how market values work

Newcastle improving doesn't mean they are eating in to spurs or say man utds market share, those clubs are still worth more than newcastle

if Newcastle artificially raise the market then in theory everyone benefits, we will surely be using their deal as a benchmark when negotiating our next deal, we've already seen this with man city and the impact they had on the numbers of man utd and chelsea - it just happens that the top teams benefit more than everyone else

rising tide raises all boats...

Well no not exactly. There is another side to it in that Spurs have to find a company with a marketing department who have done their sums and consider that spending £16m to have their logo on a sleeve will generate more than £16m of increased revenue for their business. Just pointing to Newcastle’s self sponsorship is probably not going to be convincing when that company is looking to get that deal signed off on by their finance department. 

Edited by LondonLax

49 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Well no not exactly. There is another side to it in that Spurs have to find a company with a marketing department who have done their sums and consider that spending £16m to have their logo on a sleeve will generate more than £16m of increased revenue for their business

Or, as increasingly seems to be the rumoured way, find a company willing to pass £16m worth of money from a company owned by a clubs owners through their own books in order to return it to that club as sponsorship.

Chelsea managed to find a company with a turnover of £12m a year that were prepared to pay £40m a year from their marketing budget for a shirt sponsorship.

The demands that the biggest clubs now have for sponsorship fees has completely outstripped the market for the product and yet this doesn't seem to have affected those clubs - why is that do you think?

I think they days of companies we've actually heard of sponsoring Premier league shirts might be over.

Hilariously, Sela - Newcastle's own shirt sponsor pay Newcastle £25m a year - they turned over £580k last year. On a four year deal, it will take them 200 years of trading to be able to make that money back.

They put on a drone display over St James park last year that cost more than the whole company makes in a month.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Hilariously, Sela - Newcastle's own shirt sponsor pay Newcastle £25m a year - they turned over £580k last year. On a four year deal, it will take them 200 years of trading to be able to make that money back.

Different SELA. Newcastle's sponsor makes about a billion a year. (There's also a real estate company that makes 580k, apparently). It doesn't stop the deal for NUFC from looking very 'fortuitous' though. 

14 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

A lot of people in here correctly saying Newcastle will have to sell somebody to help balance the books with their spending.

Be interested to see the same responses in our own thread when it comes to Emi, Dougie, Watkins, McGinn and Ramsey etc. We too are going to have to sell atleast one in the summer, the Grealish £100m will be up and off the FFP books, we'll need to generate more money.

I think when the time comes it will be Ramsey.

Sure we'll get criticised for it given he's local etc and when he's on it he's a top player of course. Ultimately though he's been moved away from central midfield where we're very strong and now plays pretty much every game on the left where he's good (when fully fit) but of course we could get similar player for 40-50m.

McGinn would've been a possibility 18 months back but he's coming up to 30 now and integral to what we're doing under UE. Martinez and Luiz will stick around for another year with us in CL, not too worried about that unless Arsenal put in a ridiculous bid but I'm not convinced  they'll have finance for that if they're signing a striker in the summer for 70m +.

On 11/01/2024 at 19:08, bobzy said:

I said fairly young, and 26 is to be honest.  He got unfortunate with an injury, but he's not an old player or anything.

If they need to sell a big name, it will be Guimaraes.  Feeling up there is that he's been much worse this season.

Guimaraes is a bit like their SJM. Box to box and real fan favourite. Actually would be a good fit for Arsenal thinking about what they need in midfield ahead of Rice.

You'd have thought though that they could probably sell Wilson for 20m + so that might be easy sell especially if they get in younger striker to develop behind Isak.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Guimaraes is a bit like their SJM. Box to box and real fan favourite.

He’s not the latter at all. As I said, the feeling is that he’s been much worse this season.

Almiron is more the fan favourite type.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

He’s not the latter at all. As I said, the feeling is that he’s been much worse this season.

Almiron is more the fan favourite type.

Yeah brunos had a couple of pops at them over unrealistic expectations as well as the real Madrid guff that I'd guess was his agent 

10 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Rumour is that Bruno has a £99m release clause 

He might do but he really isnt that good. For me he is technically good and a horrible/cowardly player to play against and not in a Gattuso/Roy Keane horrible way.

He gets away with cowardly tackles, he probably grew up admiring Robbie Savage

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Kalvin Phillips will be in for our game, Juventus dropped interest apparently.

Have you missed all the Newcastle can't spend any money this window because of FFP?

Does Eddie Howe expect the rest of us to feel sorry for them or something.

’oh poor us, we want to improve and buy every player under the sun but we have to abide by the same rules as everyone else’

Yeah no shit moron, lots of clubs would be out there buying players if it weren’t for FFP, Newcastle aren’t the only team with means.

The longer he’s in that job the less I like him.

• Like 3

They are terrible at the moment, an have now lost J Linton. If we don't beat these bunch of mugs at home in a few weeks how our seasons gone It'll be a crime.

Personally I think we will do our usual slow first half game, tire them out, then score 1 or 2 in the second half to take the game. Here's hoping.

Edited by foreveryoung

15 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Have you missed all the Newcastle can't spend any money this window because of FFP?

Will be a loan deal won't it? No point doing it this week given they're playing Man. City so he'd have been ineligible. 

Â