Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

18 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Just the other week Nice Guy Eddie said they had no friends in the market to help them out. He must have simply forgotten that their owners also ran the Saudi Pro League and could do them a favour to get Newcastle out of a tight spot...
A cynic might suggest that the PR campaign of 'these pesky financial rules are stopping us spending money' coming out of Newcastle the last few weeks was laying the groundwork to make this kind of move appear to be their only viable option...
Also, I'm sure Almiron is really keen to go to the SPL when a lot of players who signed in the summer are already trying to get the hell out of there!

Did I imagine the PL trying to put rules in place to stop this sort of thing?

Did I imagine the Barcodes only a few months ago denying they would use the Saudi league to bail them out?

Bunch of corrupt, greedy liars.

9 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Did I imagine the Barcodes only a few months ago denying they would use the Saudi league to bail them out?

They tried, but was voted against.

4 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It was voted against, and Newcastle said they wouldn't be loaning players from the SPL, but they didn't say anything about selling TO that league (possibly for an inflated price)...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

It was voted against, and Newcastle said they wouldn't be loaning players from the SPL, but they didn't say anything about selling TO that league (possibly for an inflated price)...

Yeah that was my thoughts, the vote was on loaning players from the league, not on the ability to sell players to that league 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Turned down £12m for Trippier. Odd. That's sounds like a good price for a 33 year old. 

He's been terrible recently since his off the field / personal issues. Clearly not worried / have a plan for FFP

16 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Turned down £12m for Trippier. Odd. That's sounds like a good price for a 33 year old. 

They are probably trying to milk more from the deal 

41 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Their plan is to get £30m from their pals, for Almiron

The rumour is in euros so that’s still around £25m which still seems above market value. 

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

The rumour is in euros so that’s still around £25m which still seems above market value. 

As much as I'm desperate to stick the bonesaw into Newcastle for shady dealings (and boy am I !!), I don't think £25m for a 29 year old coming off that performance last season is particularly outrageous. It might be heading towards the top end of his valuation, but I don't think this is really the slamdunk that's gonna do them in.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BOF said:

As much as I'm desperate to stick the bonesaw into Newcastle for shady dealings (and boy am I !!), I don't think £25m for a 29 year old coming off that performance last season is particularly outrageous. It might be heading towards the top end of his valuation, but I don't think this is really the slamdunk that's gonna do them in.

He's started most of their league games and still has 18 months on his contract as well I think?

Agree, it would be high but not outrageously so. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

He's started most of their league games and still has 18 months on his contract as well I think?

I think they know all eyes wil be on the valuation of deals. I think I have more issue with the ease with which they can make the deals happen. Need a quick £10m? Here, flog this fella to that lot. No need to inflate the valuation and get the microscopes focussed on you. Just sell at top end valution but be able to do it much more quickly than anyone else would be able to. That, in itself, is an advantage. But very difficult to prove it's been greenlit for those particular reasons. Basically a glorified ATM.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BOF said:

I saw some people post on here thats what we should have been asking for Coutinho last summer so its not bad for Almiron

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think they know all eyes wil be on the valuation of deals. I think I have more issue with the ease with which they can make the deals happen. Need a quick £10m? Here, flog this fella to that lot. No need to inflate the valuation and get the microscopes focussed on you. Just sell at top end valution but be able to do it much more quickly than anyone else would be able to. That, in itself, is an advantage. But very difficult to prove it's been greenlit for those particular reasons. Basically a glorified ATM.

That’s fair. I agree it’s the top end of his valuation, I think Newcastle are certainly getting the advantage of the best possible deal by selling talent to Saudi teams still. 

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

True his performance last season was basically close my eyes hit the ball as hard as I can towards goal and a few times it flew in. Totally unsustainable and that's why he did next to sod all in the second half of the season. So £25mil is great money for him

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Don't forget the market value is based on ASM ;) 

i dont think its that dodgy a number, maybe a little high factoring in his contract but its not phone the lawyers stuff

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

True his performance last season was basically close my eyes hit the ball as hard as I can towards goal and a few times it flew in. Totally unsustainable and that's why he did next to sod all in the second half of the season. So £25mil is great money for him

Agree. It is great money for him, based on my belief being the same as yours. He got incredibly lucky for a run of games and I said at the time his luck would run out....and it did.

But the market doesn't tend to agree and those websites that provide estimated values (and invariably they understate them) have him anything between €18m and €30m.

Throw in that Newcastle owe the club they bought him from some of the sale, and they wouldn't be accepting much less than that from anyone else if they didn't have a related party they could sell to. Whether anyone would pay it, who knows.

All that said, for the first time in years it seems the wider football market is actually moving downward in valuations based on FFP barriers, so this is prime time for them to get him off their books and mightily convenient that they have a related party that will happily meet the very top of their slightly high valuation. It stinks to me, and no-one will convince me otherwise.

Â