Christian Benteke

Kwan

And I'd also like to point out, at what point though do we actually start progressing rather than just selling?

With a business model like this players will want to go come to Villa purely to move onto elsewhere. It's not a good reputation for a club to have as players will be going just as fast they come and you end up building nothing. 

Having faith and fingers crossed that he would stay has led to disappointment and frustration.  My disappointment and frustration is not with Benteke as we have survived many disappointments such as Brian Little (twice: transfer and injury), Andy Gray, John Gidman and so on through to the present day.  My frustration and disappointment is knowing, as other posters have said, that the ‘project’ will be difficult to fulfill if every season or two our players leave. What happens if Helenius bangs in 20 next season, or Okore is the rock in defense we all hope he will be and Skys’ 4 lovers come knocking on the door.  How long before Lambert’s motivational phrase of “We go again” becomes thoughts of “Here we go again” and his head is turned towards a project that can be sustained and achieved. These are the questions I find myself asking and are the basis of my disappointment and frustration.

As we see ourselves creeping up the league and generally become more successful, that will change, but we must be constantly talent spotting and wheeling and dealing until we find ourselves OFF the back foot and ON the front foot. We are finding ourselves in this position because the player( Benteke) has out grown/performed the TEAM. He is aware big money and prospects are calling him. It will change, but only if we are making steady progress on a consistent basis.

I believe we should have gone in early for Lakaku and made a statement of intent, but hey its all much easier from OUR angle.

I think we're too early in the 'project' to bring in someone like that. He'll be wanting Top 4 wages which is clearly what PL does not want to pay - especially to a new signing. Maybe it would be different if it's a player who has proven themselves at Villa.

• Like 1

That's the trouble with "young and hungry" players.  If they're good enough their hunger will take them on to another club.  The same hunger that brought them to us in the first place.

I asked earlier in this thread but didn't get a response. When Dortmund were doing similar to us did they sell their better players on all the time? Or did they manage to keep hold of them?

And I'd also like to point out, at what point though do we actually start progressing rather than just selling?

With a business model like this players will want to go come to Villa purely to move onto elsewhere. It's not a good reputation for a club to have as players will be going just as fast they come and you end up building nothing.

We are following the path Spurs went down a few years back.

Consider Benteke our Berbatov or our Carrick. We need to use the money to buy our version of a Modric (or Bale :P).

One of the things about Lambert is the atmosphere he generates in the team and the loyalty he gets from the players into him and the club. That is one thing that may persuade the young hungry bunch to hang around a bit longer than 36 weeks.

That is what is so disappointing about benteke for me.

Not the model we are operating,  that is proving successful.  But that Benteke and his agent are operating outside our model and haven't actually bought into it in the way that others no doubt will and have

As long as the results improve year on year, we'll be competing for top places in 3/4 years, then players will be wanting to stay. Obviously that's a perfect world scenario, but it could happen, and it makes the club a more sustainable business.

Also not every players is Like Benteke. There are palyers like Bale which show a litle loyalty. WE're trying to do what Tottenham did a few years back.

Edited by djamfisher

That's the trouble with "young and hungry" players.  If they're good enough their hunger will take them on to another club.  The same hunger that brought them to us in the first place.

I asked earlier in this thread but didn't get a response. When Dortmund were doing similar to us did they sell their better players on all the time? Or did they manage to keep hold of them?

They sold and are continuing to sell to this day. Once your crop of players continues to get you up the league then your replacements are bought from a better position and if you keep it up then you progress. If we can improve 3 or 4 positions from the Benteke money then 'we go again'.
  • Like 1

Kagawa had a fantastic season in 11/12, which led to him moving to United. They purchased him the season before (so he was there for two seasons), but in his first season he was injured for quite some time. Thing is, they bought him for about £200,000.

You see even now, they're right up their in the Bundesliga, but there best players still leave. They invest well though and have a good youth setup.

Edited by samjp26

If we only offered to double his wages then that's not enough. I don't think we will except anything under 25 mil myself. There's no need for us to, he's got 3 years left on his contract

Kagawa had a fantastic season in 11/12, which led to him moving to United. They purchased him the season before (so he was there for two seasons), but in his first season he was injured for quite some time. Thing is, they bought him for about £200,000.

You see even now, they're right up their in the Bundesliga, but there best players still leave. They invest well though and have a good youth setup.

Sold one of their better players, and still went on to compete in the CL. Lambert will take heart from that, and it shows it can be done.

Don't really know beyond the obvious Kagawa - but they reached the CL final after selling him. They've replaced Gotze with Aubameyang and Mitikartyan which looks like a good bit of business.

This is the business model we wanted. Admittedly we didn't expect it this quickly.

The entire business model is by young, hungry, talented and cheap players. Build them up, if we keep them - great, we build something. If we dont, we either make very little loss because they weren't good enough. Or, we sell them on for huge profits in order to fund the next round of incomings.

£25-30m will fund this summer, January and most of next summers transfer exploits. This is the model working perfectly in action.

Exactly. We've swapped from a system where you make a massive loss on deadwood or have them hang around milking their contract to a system where your players come into their prime and potentially move for massive fees. There'll be pain because essentially we're going to be selling players the fans don't want to sell. But if we re-invest properly then it's all good.

I agree, it's painful when a player you love to watch moves on but it is the first indication that "the business model" is working. The challenge now is to keep unearthing the rough uncut diamonds.

This is the business model we wanted. Admittedly we didn't expect it this quickly.

The entire business model is by young, hungry, talented and cheap players. Build them up, if we keep them - great, we build something. If we dont, we either make very little loss because they weren't good enough. Or, we sell them on for huge profits in order to fund the next round of incomings.

£25-30m will fund this summer, January and most of next summers transfer exploits. This is the model working perfectly in action.

Exactly. We've swapped from a system where you make a massive loss on deadwood or have them hang around milking their contract to a system where your players come into their prime and potentially move for massive fees. There'll be pain because essentially we're going to be selling players the fans don't want to sell. But if we re-invest properly then it's all good.

I agree, it's painful when a player you love to watch moves on but it is the first indication that "the business model" is working. The challenge now is to keep unearthing the rough uncut diamonds.

Next up, Jores Okore!

One of the things about Lambert is the atmosphere he generates in the team and the loyalty he gets from the players into him and the club. That is one thing that may persuade the young hungry bunch to hang around a bit longer than 36 weeks.

That is what is so disappointing about benteke for me.

Not the model we are operating,  that is proving successful.  But that Benteke and his agent are operating outside our model and haven't actually bought into it in the way that others no doubt will and have

See your point and I am no doubt disappointed. Not Jimmy disappointed because at that time I still had the capacity to think players could show loyalty.

Thing is CB is clearly different gravy to the other players in our team. He wants success and money now rather than in 1 year and lets be honest its no big surprise.

All I care about now is that we get the right price and we still shift the other dead wood.

For me Lambert with a decent pot of money could be a dangerous thing !

As i said in a previous message glad this has happened sooner rather than later..an i do hope he goes for all his exploits last season i've never warmed to him..bye bye all the best in whatever path you choose to take you will be forgotten quickly here

• Like 1

Â