Christian Benteke

Kwan

But it's pronounced with the "ee" sound to rhyme with the "e" in "bed", not with the "ee" in "sleep".
Not according to the quotes above, it isn't.

Woodward KFA. UEFA have taken down the YouTube videos at the start of the thread, but the commentators on that pronounced it as I described.

I hope we're going to be kinder to Benteke than the football world was to poor Lucas Radebe, whose name is most definitely pronounced RaDEHbeh, and yet he spent his whole career being called Raddibby or some such. (Of course you could argue that as a Leeds player he had no rights at all, but still.)

I will now go in search of further YouTube links to spare CB from Radebe's awful fate...

Same as Mark KINsella.

But it's pronounced with the "ee" sound to rhyme with the "e" in "bed", not with the "ee" in "sleep".

Woodward KFA. UEFA have taken down the YouTube videos at the start of the thread, but the commentators on that pronounced it as I described.

But they are just commentators! I think the man himself ought to know. :?
Belgian commentators commentating on a game being played by their national team? I'd say they should have a vague idea. My bet is that Woodward can't manage the pronounciation because he's never come across anything like it before. Hey I could be wrong, but doubt it. Will keep trying to find out for sure.

But they are just commentators! I think the man himself ought to know. :?
Belgian commentators commentating on a game being played by their national team? I'd say they should have a vague idea. My bet is that Woodward can't manage the pronounciation because he's never come across anything like it before. Hey I could be wrong, but doubt it. Will keep trying to find out for sure.

English commentators always get Jagielka wrong so I wouldn't take it as gospel

Go to OS, click on News, select "Double Swoop on Deadline Day" from the free videos in the top right hand corner. Woodward clearly states "Christian BENTEEKEE that's the pronounciation, we got it from the horses mouth!"

True. But WE get it from the horse's mouth via Jack "cloth ears" Woodward :)

Â