Christian Benteke

Kwan

How old are you? Genuine question. You can't have seen God, Cowans, Platt and I'd say Yorke too. So far he's not been better than Dalian Atkinson when he was at his peak either, IMHO. Or Milner. He might end up better than a few of those, but I wouldn't bet on it.

• Like 1

How old are you? Genuine question. You can't have seen God, Cowans, Platt and I'd say Yorke too. So far he's not been better than Dalian Atkinson when he was at his peak either, IMHO. Or Milner. He might end up better than a few of those, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Notice I said 'ability' - rather than performance.

But no, other than Yorke I saw very very little of Atkinson/McGrath and none of Cowans and Platt.

Hes had more of an impact in a woeful team, than James Milner did in a decent 1. And in a much quicker time. James Milner will never be and has never looked like he will be a world class player. If someone said Benteke was going to be the best striker on the planet in 5 years time, I wouldnt be surprised.

No way is he staying another year. Easily the best player Ive ever seen at Villa Park. (ability wise anyway).

A proper proper footballer that we just dont normally attract. Dwight Yorke possibly at his peak for us performed better but I reckon this lad at his peak will be 3 or 4 times the player of Dwight Yorke.

He has had a great start to his Villa career but he will do well to get to the level of Yorke IMO!

• Like 1

Notice I said 'ability' - rather than performance.

But no, other than Yorke I saw very very little of Atkinson/McGrath and none of Cowans and Platt.

Hes had more of an impact in a woeful team, than James Milner did in a decent 1. And in a much quicker time. James Milner will never be and has never looked like he will be a world class player. If someone said Benteke was going to be the best striker on the planet in 5 years time, I wouldnt be surprised.

Thought so, and it wasn't meant as an offence either, just curious. Anyway, I can't really agree. Benteke might've a bit better technique and is a better goal scorer than Milner, but he hasn't got Milner's will and determination, nor his vision and football intelligence from what I've seen of him so far. As of now Benteke's far too inconsistant to be up there. He might turn out to be world class in the future, but I doubt he will be. And I don't have anything at all against him. I think he's been great so far this season. But he's had his lows too. A few of them, tbf. But he's still scored 13 goals and that's very good. I hope he stays here and develop a bit further. I think both him and we could benefit from that. If we stay up.

Wow, Benteke best player you've seen at Villa park, that is very high praise.  I think the guy has a lot of potential and is playing awesome at the moment although inconsistent which is getting better as the season goes on but there is no way I'd yet put in him that category at the moment.  I could list a load of players I think that we were better or had the ability to be better and I'm only 36 years old so I'm guessing I'm only about 10 years older than you (WoodyTom).

• Like 1

No way is he staying another year. Easily the best player Ive ever seen at Villa Park. (ability wise anyway).

A proper proper footballer that we just dont normally attract. Dwight Yorke possibly at his peak for us performed better but I reckon this lad at his peak will be 3 or 4 times the player of Dwight Yorke.

3 or 4 times the player of Dwight Yorke? Possibly overstating the Benteke case just a little there....

Wow, Benteke best player you've seen at Villa park, that is very high praise. I think the guy has a lot of potential and is playing awesome at the moment although inconsistent which is getting better as the season goes on but there is no way I'd yet put in him that category at the moment. I could list a load of players I think that we were better or had the ability to be better and I'm only 36 years old so I'm guessing I'm only about 10 years older than you (WoodyTom).

This and I'd say in recent years not only Milner but Ashley Young has shown similar potential. It's arguable whether they've reached that potential, hard to believe they're both 27, but that's my opinion anyway.

Benteke has tons of if though. His physicality will always mean he has a career at a high level. But I'll save those kind of superlatives until I've seen a bit more.

Also would like to add that season from Milner was the best I've ever seen from a Villa player. Perhaps bettered by McGrath 92/93, but I was very young at that time.

Well Benteke can be anything he wants to be. I think it's going to come down to him more than anyone else. He's still so raw and does have good and bad days, needs to keep working hard to turn the bad days into fantastic days. Then he will be a world beater. But he's got a lot of work to do to get there. I know nothing of his personality so I'm unsure on how he will progress. Seems a good lad though. 

To think at the very start of the season watching him miss sitter after sitter i thought good god what have spent 7m on here, if we survive he owes us another season. God knows what he'll develop into if he plays every week for another season, its frightening just thinking about it.

I'd be very surprised if he's here next season. He's certainly better than some of the shite that Chelsea, Spurs & Arsenal have up top, so it wouldn't be a shock for one of them to come knocking.

I'll be gutted if he does go, though. It'll remind me of Alan McInally - he had that one barnstorming season and then immediately **** off to a bigger club :(

Woody that surely has to be an over-rating... The best player you've ever seen at VP ability wise ? Not even potential wise ? So by that standard his potential (being as though he's only 22 ? ) should mean he'll be as good as drogba ? Or probably even better considering Drogba peaked late... (Not comparing their football styles btw)

Edited by kevangrealish

Target-men.jpg

Target-men-overall-points.jpg

Comes second behind Dzeko, however Tekkers has played far more minutes. Interesting little table.

Didnt realise how bad Holt was doing this season. To be doing worse than Carroll and a lot worse than Crouch he must be doing horrendous. Good job we never signed him...

Target-men.jpg

Comes second behind Dzeko, however Tekkers has played far more minutes. Interesting little table.

How about Michu in there???

im hoping the top teams start fighting over him insted of Benteke... But its a long shot :\ 

Target-men.jpg

How about Michu in there???

im hoping the top teams start fighting over him insted of Benteke... But its a long shot :\ 

Hardly your traditional target man though is he. I think thats why they excluded him. He would kill it other wise :P

Hardly your traditional target man though is he. I think thats why they excluded him. He would kill it other wise :P

Good point :P

Â