Christian Benteke

Kwan

If he stays 1 more season, scores 20+ goals. Has a great WC, then he can pretty much go to any team he likes..

His game is far from complete, still got a lot to learn... 

Pretty much this, and its what will happen in all honesty.

• Like 2

It's not a surprise that the papers are fueling the fire more than anything.

It was shown multiple times that CB said he didn't want to leave the club and that he was happy to play another year because the manager trusts him and the fans like him.

Yes, if United or Chelsea or City swoop in with 30M+, there's not really much you can do, but I think any reports of CB trying to force his way out of the club are grossly exaggerated.

Keep your pants on folks. It's not even June.

• Like 1

Villa star player sale shock horror

Nah, all joking aside if he wants to leave then let's let him, provided we get a shed loads of money for the transfer in addition to numerous add-ons based on his success. If he wants to stay, then great!

We have no reason to be worse off here... He has a contract which isn't close to expiring AND we know he is worth between twenty/thirty million now.

Agent sounds like trouble to me

Really, he sounds like one of the least troublesome agents in recent times.

He could've kept quiet and let the press continue pushing but he's come out and said they're upset about it.

Sounds decent to be honest.

• Like 1

Actually you're probably right, the agent has tried his best to diffuse things. Or perhaps the cynic in me says he's engineered it all?

Either way clubs are now on full alert re CB.

u know the problem is that benteke's isnt a good PR guy he isnt good in interviews the interviewers alway try to get a quote from him to abuse it and change some things in it just like the arsenal story they try to put words in his mouth so they can fill their papers. and his agen doesn't make anything better.

TBH I don't think he deserves to be slagged off.

He's a football player looking to further his career.

If what he is quoted as saying isn't true, great. If it is true, who can really blame him? He has no reason to love Villa like we do.

The reality is, from a non-Villa fan perspective, he is at one of the Premier League's worst teams and a couple of the Premier League's best teams wants to have him, pay him more and give him medals.

Trying to put myself in CB's shoes for a moment (they're too big for my feet), I reckon there are logical arguments either side:

- playing for Villa ought not to affect his chances of playing in the WC, so let's rule that one out

- playing for Villa is fun. We play attacking football, built around him. Who doesn't enjoy that?

- he's young enough for another season at Villa, without worrying too much about wages

- in all likelihood, if we keep him we'll get a top 10 finish, possibly challenging for Europa League.

- most of the major teams in England (and he's built for English football) are in flux at the moment - out of the top 7, only Arsenal have a manager who's been in place longer than a year.

On the other hand...

- besides maybe City, none of the top clubs has a proper target man. He would be a natural replacement for Drogba at Mourinho's Chelsea Mk II. Huge statement of intent for Arsenal/Spurs.

- he knows the Villa fans probably won't begrudge him leaving if we get a decent price for him (which we almost certainly would)

- he's already good enough to play Champions League football, and might think the earlier the better in terms of getting used to the tactics and psychology of that level of football

- he has a special relationship with Villa at the moment, but you could see him developing something similar at Arsenal or Spurs (he might be overshadowed a bit at United, and Chelsea fans are complete words removed).

- his agent makes a helluva lot more money by shifting him on now

So let's see what happens. If he does leave, I hope he continues to get the credit he deserves. Top top player, pleasure to watch.

Â