Christian Benteke

Kwan

I feel sorry for Bent, Benteke and all of the other strikers. Although some of his hold up play has been awful in the last three games, it must be pretty demoralising playing in front of an absolutely abject midfield and defence.

One thing Lambert really does need to do is give Benteke a rocket up his **** arse. At least these players who are clearly not quite up top 10 standard like Lichaj, Herd and Albrighton put it in and fight for the ball after they've lost it (again), Benteke's attitude won't help a struggling team when he throws his arms around every time he's offside again or someone doesn't give him the ball. Very good player, but needs that winding in nice and early.

Not having this midfield excuse, he's seen the ball plenty of times but keeps trying extravagant layoffs when he needs to hold onto it.

He's been very poor last two games, today I thought he was very slightly better and won a few great headers.

The last 3 performances have been the same kind that Darren Bent got so much shit for.

+2.

Maybe I was right about him after all?

Seriously though I had continually mentioned in the Bent thread that this might happen. It happens to all young players when they get tired. They hit a brick wall and lose form.

Benteke needs resting now or he'll suffer complete burn out.

This was exactly the reason why I kept banging on about keeping Bent until the end of the season.

Awesome performance against Swansea. Goal and an assist.

Love the way he shouted at Weimann when he hurriedly took a shot from a bad angle with players in front of him when a simple pass back to Benteke would have been goal 2.

Camera zoomed in on Weimann looking rather sheepish and apologetically back at him.

You can tell who is going to be boss in that partnership. Benteke grabbed the ball off Weimann for the penalty and never looked like missing.

• Like 1

Guzan Lowton Vlaar Westwood Weimann and Benteke have to be the mainstays of our team. Build around them.

Completely agree. I'd potentially add Agbonlahor to that list as I think he has a lot to offer still. We need 2/3 quality players in January to ensure survival and then the younger lads next year will be more experienced and Lamberts plans can come to fruition.

I still have complete confidence in our manager.

Up the Villa

Tbf I expected it from him. He will be a quality player but he is new to the league and young. Will have ups and downs but he is on course to finish for 12 to 15 goals this season in the League. Not bad for a awful side. 9 goals so far this season.

Sometimes feels like all we have is:

--------------Guzan-------------

Lowton-Vlaar-------------------

----------------------------------

-------Westwood---------------

-------Benteke-Weimann------

Baker and Clark sometimes look like fitting in, Delph and Bannan have their moments too.. but really the above 6 are all we really have. And it shows when we're missing Vlaar, Baker and now Westwood:

--------------Guzan-------------

Lowton--------------------------

-----------------------------------

-------Benteke-Weimann------

We're relying on Lowton to carry the defence, and also be our only wide attacking outlet that has any chance of creating anything. Guzan to do damage control and our playmaker (Our number 1 completed pass vs Swansea was Guzan to Benteke) and then praying once that pass has been made that Benteke and Weimann can do the rest.

Sometimes feels like this is all we have. So it's easy to take us out the game as all you have to do is sit on the strikers and stop Lowton from crossing. As such Benteke is frustrated, making early runs (and being offside) in the vein hope somebody other than Guzan can complete a pass to him and then everything Weimann and Benteke do is excrutiatingly analysed because they are being charged with carrying the entire team. Really they are too young to have this asked of them.

Edited by HalfTimePost

Completely agree. I'd potentially add Agbonlahor to that list as I think he has a lot to offer still. We need 2/3 quality players in January to ensure survival and then the younger lads next year will be more experienced and Lamberts plans can come to fruition.

I still have complete confidence in our manager.

Up the Villa

I agree with you, apart from Gabby. I know you said potentially but the bloke aint good enough. I love Gabby, he works his bollocks off, loves the club, loves the fans. What isnt to like?

He distinct lack of ability and his poor footballing brain. Lets face it, without his pace he wouldnt be in the premiership. We do not want to build our team around Gabby, Its good having a local boy, villa through and through on the books but why build a team around someone who doesnt have the ability to play where we want to play.

I know you said potentially :P Im just saying though.

According to Soccerway.com

Gabby has scored 9 goals in a season and a half. 13 goals in two and a half seasons. Only three times in his career has he got into double figures. Im guessing Benteke will score more than Gabby has in the last 2 and a half seasons this season, for us. Thats not including the 3 he scored for Genk which would put him 1 behind gabbys total.

Yup. Shows you how poor our squad is. Think Gabby has played well without adding much in terms of assists and goals. Baker is a very good prospect but we need some more players. Hopefully be rectified this transfer window.

Hello ..

I think Benteke Should have a rest against Ipswich .. that Maybe start against Bradford or rest to the second half if things were going well .. He needs some rest tbh .. And we really need Aubeyamang to come .. To have more keys upfront !

Â