Christian Benteke

Kwan

With all the bashing of other players on this site i'm shocked no one has mentioned this guy.

Had 3 or 4 absolute sitters last night all delivered to him on a plate from Bannan. Really needs to start putting them away. Disappointed with the big man last night.

He needs to be nurtured. He could be a key player for us over the next 5 or so seasons if we can convince him Villa is a good place to stay.

Not feeling too positive about the chances of that at the moment.

I thought he played OK with Bent too, until Bent got injured, but, judging from the Bent thread, I'm not sure that sort of talk goes down too well on the site at present.

Edited by briny_ear

If he's missing lots of chances, it also means he's getting into lots of scoring positions. Hopefully coaching and his own process of maturing as a player will increase his strike rate. He's quite a raw talent at present - e.g. in our three game run of 0-15 he kept getting caught offside, presumably because coaches had worked out how to trap him. But he seems to be over that now.

Not sure he's the sharpest tool in the shed. Anyone see that offside ball he chased after? Way overrated on here but I think we should play to his feet more instead of lumping up balls for them to bounce off him or hope for a lucky flick on, like having Heskey back but this guy can actually play football (a biit) so give the ball to his feet please.

But one player who definitely needs a rest is Benteke; he has been Villa's shining light so far this season but he's scored only once in his last five games and that was a penalty, against Swansea. Quite simply he looks jaded, which isn't surprising because he's a young man carrying the attacking burden of a major Premier League side on his shoulders pretty much alone. That's clearly taking its toll.

sums it up for me.

Not sure he's the sharpest tool in the shed. Anyone see that offside ball he chased after? Way overrated on here but I think we should play to his feet more instead of lumping up balls for them to bounce off him or hope for a lucky flick on, like having Heskey back but this guy can actually play football (a biit) so give the ball to his feet please.

Way underrated on here. There is no bouncing or luck, he is actuaslly very good at intelligent flick on's. Bents volley over the bar against bradford for example, lovely little touch.

was something small but really impressed me was he went down on edge of box and ball went out of play but when other players would moan for a free but got straight back, ran after ball for a kick out to continue the game. His attitude is top notch

Quick thing, shouldn't be asked to man mark. Pretty sure that's not the first time someone has left Benteke for dead in the box from a corner and scored, maybe Ramis as well? Seen it a few times goals or no goals anyway. All good ariel strikers should be doing near post zonal for me. If Lambert doesn't think we have big enough players to man mark then we have to change to zonal.

He isn't the type of striker who is going to put away all of his chances, his overall play is exceptional but I definitely agree he needs a rest. His role is to hold up the ball and make chances for Weimann, which is what he does and he does it pretty damn well.

Â