Christian Benteke

Kwan

Benteke should be made to stay. The guy is under contract, end of.

A contract that contains a release clause meaning it would be out of our hands if anybody bid that amount.

• Like 1

I'm curious as to what people would rather see happen.

Would you rather make £32.5m on him now, and invest it in the squad, or keep him till the end of his current deal, and let him walk away for nothing?

Part of me thinks the latter, as we'll get 2 good seasons out of him, but then I think about some of the dross he has to play along side, and I think I'd love to see better players through out the team. We could do a lot with that kind of money. It's a tough one.

Would you rather make £32.5m on him now, and invest it in the squad, or keep him till the end of his current deal, and let him walk away for nothing?

Part of me thinks the latter, as we'll get 2 good seasons out of him, but then I think about some of the dross he has to play along side, and I think I'd love to see better players through out the team. We could do a lot with that kind of money. It's a tough one.

I like the idea of keeping him till his contact runs out, but whilst Lerner is our owner I think the only way for clubs like us to progress is to make profit on individual players and invest wisely, like Southampton.

Part of me thinks the latter, as we'll get 2 good seasons out of him, but then I think about some of the dross he has to play along side, and I think I'd love to see better players through out the team. We could do a lot with that kind of money. It's a tough one.

I like the idea of keeping him till his contact runs out, but whilst Lerner is our owner I think the only way for clubs like us to progress is to make profit on individual players and invest wisely, like Southampton.

I dont 32.5m is a lot of money to turn down

I agree with you to a degree, but even with Lerner still in charge I genuinely trust Tim and co. to improve this team no end. as known we have shed alot of wage burden, plus have increased TV Money etc. We have also made sales, and usually spend circa 20 mill usually and that is when we were BROKE! I see no reason why we can't spend another 20 mill as it stands now. Although 30 mill plus 20 mill would be better in the long run.

I always hoped he would give us one more season, and then go , with all our best wishes, to a team in the Champions League.  Therefore, I am afraid I hope he doesn't do well at Liverpool - I am with BOF on this.   I used to actually quite like Liverpool but the way the Press , Sky and particularly Talk Sport suck up to them, has really put me off them. This whole ethos that Villa don't deserve to have good players has got to change - we ARE a big club and hopefully Tim (and a takeover) may start to change this perception and put us back where we belong.   I would sooner Benteke went to Man U than Liverpool - and I don't like Man U either!

Part of me thinks the latter, as we'll get 2 good seasons out of him, but then I think about some of the dross he has to play along side, and I think I'd love to see better players through out the team. We could do a lot with that kind of money. It's a tough one.

id rather he stayed this season had another good year then a cracking euros then went to someone other than liverpool

• Like 1

There are 2 other very possible scenarios though.  One good and one bad.  The good one is that we keep him this year, he plays a blinder in run up to Euros and we flog him next summer for in and around £20m with a year left on his contract.  The bad one is that we try to keep him and Liverpool or anyone trigger his release clause in the final week of this window and we're left up shit creek without a paddle.

EDIT : Choosing between your scenarios though, it really is tough.  Getting 2 seasons out of him would be brilliant but letting him go for nothing would be hard to swallow.  That's a rock and a hard place.  I'm leaning towards taking £32.5m right now and re-investing it all, but I could change my mind in an hours time.

If you think that perhaps we could sign three players like Praet, Amavi and Austin for £32M, then I suppose the question becomes would Benteke be worth more to us over the next two years than they would over the course of their contracts.

For me if he was content on staying I'd say keep him, but the rumours coming out is that he wants out and has done since the season has ended. So for me selling now for 32.5m is the best option, also on top of that the club will want to sell as he has no intention of signing a new deal.

Benteke clearly wants to leave, ever since he handed in that transfer request he has the air of a man playing for his next 'big move' and quite frankly in getting a little bit sick of this Benteke merry-go-round every summer.

Sell him, sell him now for the full £32m and reinvest it.

If we have a choice I'd prefer us to sell to Utd rather than Liverpool.

I really disliked Liverpool ever since Gerrard tapped up Barry and the whole Carroll, Downing scarf nonsense, and besides I actually think that Benteke is to good for Liverpool.

A contract that contains a release clause meaning it would be out of our hands if anybody bid that amount.

But John Henry openly admits that Liverpool just kind of ignored Arsenal's bid that triggered Suarez's clause.

I hate this situation because the more it drags on the more hopeful I get but then as I still expect to lose him I want us to have the money to spend.  Arrrgh, wake me up September 1st.

But John Henry openly admits that Liverpool just kind of ignored Arsenal's bid that triggered Suarez's clause.

Yep, there is that. But I was always under the impression that that had turned out to not be a "proper" release clause. So they had a bit of a loophole.

Might be wrong though.

If there's anyway we can get out of it then I'd be all for it, especially if it will avoid Liverpool waiting until the last day of the window to trigger it.

Â