Christian Benteke

Kwan

Think Liverpool will come in for him now. Better start thinking of a replacement, Berahino maybe?

Good player but a terrible attitude. 

Wasnt that down to his agent basically telling him he is amazing and should be earning huge pay for a big club? (same agent as Sterling's)

Maybe, maybe not. I'd rather us not drop a load of money to find out to be honest.

They would want a lot of money for him especially from us so I'd rather we look elsewhere, if we need to that is, lets hope we don't.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I think plop are just waiting for the Sterling deal to be wrapped up. Its obvious they cannot pay the 32.5 without selling Sterling.

I do not think that they want to give us £32.5m for Benteke.

If they had they could have done that already. They have bought other players in the window so it seems like their fans they don't rate our player quite as highly as we do.

They tried to get away with a lower price by offering £25m & 2 over valued players they wanted rid of but we turned that down. I hope that is the end of it with them but I'm sure the press will try to keep the story running because they just cannot accept that our players might want to spend another season at a club at which they are appreciated.  

you say all that like its FACT. didn't our club say there had been no contact from any club with regards Benteke ?

Well said. I have fallen into the trap of accepting what Mick Quinn said on Talk Sport as being a reasonably true representation of fact. He said we had turned down a £25m bid with 2 of their players and that the deal was dead because I guess I wanted it to be true.

Given our club has now said there has been no contact from any club concerning Benteke (which will no doubt be a bitter blow to his agent) clearly Quinn was just quoting unfounded speculation.  

But I still think Liverpool do not want to pay us £32.5m for him so I stick with what I have said other than the bit highlighted in bold above.  

Edited by John

I would go for Austin and Embolo for definite. We would have at least 2 good strikers to replace Benteke, plus we have Kozak and gabby to back them up. I would be very happy with that. All we would need is a couple of defenders and without getting ahead of ourselves i think we have a top ten side right there!!

I dont think there is a better like for like replacement than Embolo out there for Benteke

• Like 1

I'm with the majority here. I'm pretty easy either way and would absolutely love Austin in should it happen, even if we need to pay a little over the odds for him. If we're left with a cool £15m and a player who might actually want to be here after that, I can live with it.

He goes with my thanks regardless.

If he doesn't go, fantastic. But I'm kinda resigned to it now.

• Like 4

I totally stand by, as good as he is, 32million pound reinvestment > keeping benteke for a team like ours. Can't just rely on him keeling us up, we know we have to spend within our means so this money could make our team better.

Just hurry up and get it done, if it's even in the pipeline.

We'll need 2 strikers if Benteke leaves. Austin is an obvious choice but I think we'd have competition. I would have liked Hernandez but that looks unlikely.

would we? HE doesnt seem to be linked with anybody concrete at the moment

We'll need 2 strikers if Benteke leaves. Austin is an obvious choice but I think we'd have competition. I would have liked Hernandez but that looks unlikely.

would we? HE doesnt seem to be linked with anybody concrete at the moment

Orlando... MLS

Can someone just tell us who Embolo is or do i just have to use the GOOGLES, seen his name over and over again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8cWqkg7vcA

EDIT: found for those who were in the dark like me, not sure how to embed video though. Swiss/Cameroonian Basle striker.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

I was wondering to myself earlier today and couldn't make my mind up: Just how much have we altered our entire team ethos to play to Benteke's strengths compared to him simplifying his play to fit in with our less than enlightened style?  If that makes sense.  I.e. Is Benteke the Samson's hair of the Villa team?  If he goes do we suddenly fall to pieces and have to rethink how we play from the very top?

I was wondering to myself earlier today and couldn't make my mind up: Just how much have we altered our entire team ethos to play to Benteke's strengths compared to him simplifying his play to fit in with our less than enlightened style?  If that makes sense.  I.e. Is Benteke the Samson's hair of the Villa team?  If he goes do we suddenly fall to pieces and have to rethink how we play from the very top?

Depends on who we get to replace him I suppose. However we look less one dimensional under Sherwood than we ever did under Lambert. Plus Sherwood is looking to improve the whole squad, so maybe Benteke leaving now would be less of a blow compared to 12 months ago.  

Â