Christian Benteke

Kwan

clutching at straws comes to mind but heres the thing....hes under contract , 2 years, 50k a week,& paid £7m for him.. if we keep him for his contract we get the player for 2years on 50k & loose the 7m but we keep the player

if sold for 30m & ring club x for player x they pump up the price as they know we need & got ££££...shaft city..

unless the 32m is paid i would keep him & you know you have goals for next 2 seasons, if you spread the £7m over 5-6years hes been at villa ..hes been great value,

Very loose thinking imo.

Not panicked about him going, just hope we buy well.

Its a long time ago but the principles are the same, Sir Ron replaced arguably our best strike force (certainly scored an awful lot of goals in about 77) and then built an even more potent side.

Ah well can dream......

• Like 1

You can't blame him. Why would he stay with a side that finished 17th and failed miserably in the cup final? He is too good for that

We only have ourselves to blame. Good luck Tekkers wherever you end up. I will always be grateful for what you have done for us

Lol while I agree with your overall sentiment its a bit steep saying we failed in the cup !....we did beat 90 other league clubs and however many hundred others to the final. If the only thing that doesn't count as failure is winning it then United, Chelsea,etc, all failed too so it would cancel out on the ' crapometer'

I see your point but for me if you do all that hard work getting to the final and collapse the way we did I see it as failure. Had we put any form of fight in it I would agree with you

But there was nothing

Not panicked about him going, just hope we buy well.

Its a long time ago but the principles are the same, Sir Ron replaced arguably our best strike force (certainly scored an awful lot of goals in about 77) and then built an even more potent side.

Ah well can dream......

Thing was then.....they had talent spotting abilities.

You can't blame him. Why would he stay with a side that finished 17th and failed miserably in the cup final? He is too good for that

We only have ourselves to blame. Good luck Tekkers wherever you end up. I will always be grateful for what you have done for us

Lol while I agree with your overall sentiment its a bit steep saying we failed in the cup !....we did beat 90 other league clubs and however many hundred others to the final. If the only thing that doesn't count as failure is winning it then United, Chelsea,etc, all failed too so it would cancel out on the ' crapometer'
I see your point but for me if you do all that hard work getting to the final and collapse the way we did I see it as failure. Had we put any form of fight in it I would agree with you

But there was nothing

There was something about that final performance that was very humiliating......as has been said we have played fine sides before and give them a game.....that was Lilly livered and lacked a semblance of character

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

My thinking behind Benteke is, I don't want him to leave as he is our star man and our  topscorer, but when a team finishes 17th everyone is replaceable. and when we finish 17th with Benteke, then surely it tells us that our squad is not good enough, therefor the most important thing for us is simply to improve the squad instead of relying on our big man. Maybe we can build a squad that can play football instead of just trying to feed one player. + our results this season were not much worse without him.   

• Like 1

My thinking behind Benteke is, I don't want him to leave as he is our star man and our  topscorer, but when a team finishes 17th everyone is replaceable. and when we finish 17th with Benteke, then surely it tells us that our squad is not good enough, therefor the most important thing for us is simply to improve the squad instead of relying on our big man. Maybe we can build a squad that can play football instead of just trying to feed one player. + our results this season were not much worse without him.   

The harsh reality is we finished 17th with a striker who is in my opinion close to work class, and he's the only player we have of that caliber (Delph isn't that level). The chances are he's going to leave, and we can't even be sure the club will reinvest the money. 

Even though it's only the 5th of June the reason people are getting a worried is because we've been absolutely dog shit awful for 5 years, and we're about to lose the engine to our car. 

Considering the clubs reluctance to spend money on players in the last few years and the fact that we realistically need about 8 players, I for one can understand why people are feeling slightly pessimistic. 

Edited by avfcwills10

true but I dont think finishing 17th was anything to do with Benteke. He was injured and stifled for most of the season and when was allowed off the leash he showed his class

No doubt Benteke is our best player, could even be the best striker we have had for god knows how long (I rate him higher than Yorke and can't remember many strikers before that). But what all the teams around us have shown is, that when you are near the bottom it is better to have a good squad instead of being reliant on one quality player. Dream scenario would be that we build a better squad around Benteke, but the truth is we can't afford to build a squad unless we sell our stars. So in my opinion it would be better for us to have 11 decent players instead of 10 below average and 1 quality. 

So what are the chances of Liverpool  to keep underbidding til the final day of the transfer window in hope we will accept the offer so we have time to bring in a replacement?

Would be pretty shitty if they triggered his clause on the final day of the window. 

So what are the chances of Liverpool  to keep underbidding til the final day of the transfer window in hope we will accept the offer so we have time to bring in a replacement?

Would be pretty shitty if they triggered his clause on the final day of the window. 

It'll negatively effect them as well though. No pre-season with them and no time to get used to Brendan Rodger's 57 different variations of the same tactic.

• Like 1

hmm will they be signing another striker if they sign Ings? Ings/sturridge/balo/that player in france i have never seen play. They usually only play with 1 up top soo. Looking pretty likely they will sign Ings. And think it would be pretty hard to shift balotelli on

Best thing to do is just support him whilst he is here, and forget about him when he's gone.

I won't forget about him, he is a beast and has the potential to one of the best strikers in the world. He has everything, the best striker I have ever seen play for us.

If we had him under the same team MON put together we would have been close to the Champions League.

• Like 1

Best thing to do is just support him whilst he is here, and forget about him when he's gone.

I won't forget about him, he is a beast and has the potential to one of the best strikers in the world. He has everything, the best striker I have ever seen play for us.

If we had him under the same team MON put together we would have been close to the Champions League.

But MON would never ever ever ever ever ever even looked at a striker of Benteke's qualities. An thats the reason we didn't get near Champions League.

• Like 3

Swap him with Heskey in MON's last season and we would have smashed the top four

MON rarely utilised the European transfer market, I think it is fair to state that he would have never signed a foreign prospect like Benteke.  

Edited by GENTLEMAN

They will probably stall it for a while by trying to undercut the deal but there is huge pressure on next season so ideally they need to have everything in place before the season begins.

I'd imagine we'd give them a deadline like we did that infamous summer with Barry. Mid August I think it was and the deal was off when Liverpool didn't bid the required 18m.

Difference here is I think they'll be more than one club in for Benteke.

Â