Christian Benteke

Kwan

Hopefully now we're creating more chances the goals and confidence will start to come back.

I don't think it's a confidence issue. I did think so for a long time, but I think it's deeper and less fixable. I hope I'm wrong! I'm genuinely amazed at the continued faith so many supporters seem to have in "the Beast," this persistent sense that he's coming back, soon, soon, tomorrow, tomorrow, to claim his right place again.

I just happen to think tomorrow's never coming, at least not with AVFC and Tekkers. 

Seriously. You crazy.

If you only knew how much I hope you're right. But when I look at Tekkers' contributions this year, I see someone holding Villa back. Yes, he scored a cool penalty against West Brom, and I cheered madly along with every other Villan, but it's just such flashes of brilliance that, I think, make it so hard for the managers to face the deeper fact of his inadequacy. The problem is, there's no one to replace him. But that doesn't mean he's any good any more. Again, I would be delighted to be proven wrong.

Edited by Shifted To Neutral
  • Like 1

Inadequacy? He's hugely talented ffs - he's been going through a huge trough lately but his ability is there, he's shown he can do it for us in the past and there's no reason, bar your seeming vendetta against the man, that he can't find some form again.

Inadequacy? He's hugely talented ffs - he's been going through a huge trough lately but his ability is there, he's shown he can do it for us in the past and there's no reason, bar your seeming vendetta against the man, that he can't find some form again.

Calm down, junior. 

• Like 1

You know I wonder if something's been said to him...or he's over thinking things to much.

His best game after he came back from injury was probably the Spurs game. He was husseling and bustling, but got to much involved and got sent off...which might have cost us 3 points. Maybe he's nervous at costing the team again. Add that to lack of service it's all added up to what's happening atm.

Just thinking at 4.30 am lol

• Like 1

You know I wonder if something's been said to him...or he's over thinking things to much.

His best game after he came back from injury was probably the Spurs game. He was husseling and bustling, but got to much involved and got sent off...which might have cost us 3 points. Maybe he's nervous at costing the team again. Add that to lack of service it's all added up to what's happening atm.

It's as good a guess as any. Let's hope Sherwood finds a way to reach him in whatever maze he finds himself in. I can't imagine there's anyone in the world who doesn't want to the see the lad succeed.

It's as good a guess as any. Let's hope Sherwood finds a way to reach him in whatever maze he finds himself in. I can't imagine there's anyone in the world who doesn't want to the see the lad succeed.

I don't think Sherwood shares your opinion on Benteke. He said that outside the top 6 clubs, Benteke and Gabby are the best striking pair in the league. 

• Like 1

Gather round lads..

Shh, shhhh, shhh shh.

My plan.. is to kill Christian Benteke.. if he doesn't score 10 goals between now and the end of the season.

just don't tell anyone, ok?

:ph34r:

• Like 1

The way he took that penalty makes me think confidence was never an issue and it was just our style of play. In 2/3 game with Sherwood in charge he has looked dangerous.

I agree with the first part of this wholeheartedly, and I hope you're right about the second part.

It's pretty simple in my opinion.

Extremely talented, but ultimately can't be arsed to put the work in for a club he clearly wants to leave.

I suppose Sherwood's seemingly good start with him (relationship-wise) could help remove that, and that's the hope, but his transfer request farce was very poorly handled by him and his agent. Yes he got more money, but he basically admitted he wants to leave the club, yet his poor form means nobody will buy him. Short-termist thinking.

He had ego problems at Genk, and accused the fans of not giving him enough support, which was apparently bollocks and his excuse to leave (I have a couple of Genk-supporting friends). Apparently raised in a very rough area in Liege and hung around with some real wrong-uns (hence the stolen cars story).

He's a kid that's had too much too young and has a massive ego, and I think this is the main reason for his lack of form. Confidence does not appear an issue, as displayed by the pen. His phase of shouting at all of his team-mates also displayed what I think is his arrogance.

His ability is unquestionable in my opinion, which is why it's so frustrating. Let's hope Sherwood keeps giving him the love he needs and gets him back on form.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC
  • Like 1

Not putting in the work and being lazy is compleatly the wrong way to going to move on. He will be way down on top clubs lists atm.

I do think there was a certain why should I bother, I'm never getting the ball in the latter Lambert days. I sort of understand this, as Lambert stopped playing to his strengths. He played well against Newcastle and scored and got an assist against the Baggies. So the green shoots of recovery are there.

Extremely talented, but ultimately can't be arsed to put the work in for a club he clearly wants to leave.

I suppose Sherwood's seemingly good start with him (relationship-wise) could help remove that, and that's the hope, but his transfer request farce was very poorly handled by him and his agent. Yes he got more money, but he basically admitted he wants to leave the club, yet his poor form means nobody will buy him. Short-termist thinking.

He had ego problems at Genk, and accused the fans of not giving him enough support, which was apparently bollocks and his excuse to leave (I have a couple of Genk-supporting friends). Apparently raised in a very rough area in Liege and hung around with some real wrong-uns (hence the stolen cars story).

He's a kid that's had too much too young and has a massive ego, and I think this is the main reason for his lack of form. Confidence does not appear an issue, as displayed by the pen. His phase of shouting at all of his team-mates also displayed what I think is his arrogance.

His ability is unquestionable in my opinion, which is why it's so frustrating. Let's hope Sherwood keeps giving him the love he needs and gets him back on form.

Whoa! Never heard any of this, tbh. Is it pretty well established fact,I mean the stuff about his childhood and time at Genk? I was really struck by how different he sounded when I heard him on the radio compared to the sort of confidence-wounded sweet-guy image I had in my mind. He just sounded a bit self-deluded and not someone who could entertain ambiguities too but it could also have been a language issue.

Edited by Shifted To Neutral

He looked somewhat emotional/relieved if anything

I heard an interview with him today, and I wasn't impressed at all, to be honest. I always thought his recent issue has been "confidence," which is a bit of a meaningless cliche, the more I think about it. He sounded a lot more complacent and self-satisfied than I'd ever imagined him being. I wish Sherwood would bench him.

Probably because he's a striker and knows he should be bagging goals

The way he took that penalty makes me think confidence was never an issue and it was just our style of play. In 2/3 game with Sherwood in charge he has looked dangerous.

I agree with the first part of this wholeheartedly, and I hope you're right about the second part.

Took some serious balls to take that penalty after his and the rest of the teams performances!

Pretty much this, you don't roll the ball into the net like a complete boss in the 94th minute under huge pressure if you aren't confident.

Just like Bent, he hasn't been very good for us because we don't get the ball in the right place for him. We got the ball wide a lot against WBA but it was always with the full backs and they didn't cross it once.  It's not like he is missing chance after chance, he's not getting chances. Hopefully that will start to change now Sherwood is here and he gets to work on this team.

I thought, for him, he was terrible against West Brom.

He got an assist and scored a great pen which is a sign of just how good he is.

He's going into most things half-heartedly, or just shying away and not at all. Holding the ball up is huge, and he isn't interested in trying, Berahino outshone him for bringing others into play.

It could be injury worries in his head, or indifference to the team, but he needs to improve for me. We need him to be better.

Whoa! Never heard any of this, tbh. Is it pretty well established fact,I mean the stuff about his childhood and time at Genk? I was really struck by how different he sounded when I heard him on the radio compared to the sort of confidence-wounded sweet-guy image I had in my mind. He just sounded a bit self-deluded and not someone who could entertain ambiguities too but it could also have been a language issue.

Well it's well known in Belgium he was hanging around with the guys that had the stolen cars, hence why he was caught up in it. Drug dealers and the like. Obviously easy to fall into when you're young and in a rough neighbourhood and credit to him for getting out of all that, but you can see why his rise might have gone to his head a bit.

He's got an ego, which isn't a bad thing as a striker whatsoever if it's handled correctly by the manager. But under Lambert in my opinion if you add everything together, I think he just thought he was bigger than the club. Hopefully Sherwood will handle it better and get him back on the same wavelength as his team mates.

Speaking to other fans Arsenal and the scousers, his form does not put them off and they would have him in there team in a heart beat. I don't think he would have a problem if he really wanted that move, even if he don't show improvement before the end of the season. Personally if we stay up, I think he will be here another season.

I think he will score at least 5-6 goals before the end of the season.

He will stay with us for the start of next season and will be amazing in the first half of the season, maybe 12-15 goals, and then we will sell him in January.

Â