Christian Benteke

Kwan

Put it this way. How many saints fans will have wanted to sell all their best players for those fees. Absolute daylight robbery every single deal.

Benteke's our best player since Dwight yorke IMO. However, we don't use him. He might as well be gabby or andi given the goals he's scored (albeit in less games).

He's our greatest asset. Let's take somebody to the cleaners and buy ourselves 3/4 quality additions that can guide us comfortably away from relegation scrap after relegation scrap. Something that Benteke can't do comfortably alone.

Il be gutted if he went cause he's a top top player, but it isn't working and hasn't for a while.

Crikey, if people like plop are willing to pay 25m we need to cash in.

Probably bollocks like.

No No No No No!!!!  Who the feck is gonna score us a goal then, cause its not gonna be Gabby. If we really want to go anywhere, we really have to stop cashing in on our top signings as soon as we have a offer.

Fair play to Lambert he has already said "they wouldn't even get his left leg for that amount".

Considering the position we're in, selling our best players at the peak of their form (not that Benteke is now) is probably a smart move... should the money be re-invested.  That's generally how teams work their way up.

What sell our only 'real' striker to invest in what? another striker. I would rather Lambert work his bollocks off and get the best out of the one we have.

Exactly that, yes.  That's how it works.

My only caveat would be, how much of the money would Lambert get?

Say we got £20m for Benteke, would Lambert get 10 to spend on a new striker and 10 to spend on other players (or player)?

I doubt it.

If he got to spend the whole lot then cashing in on Benteke might be a decent option (although I'd say do it in the summer, not January) as you'd get a replacement and get to strengthen elsewhere.

If he doesn't get the full amount, and just enough to replace Benteke, then there's not much point.

Fair points Steveo and I suppose lambert would have a better idea than us on that. My only issue with cashing in in the summer would be his value may decrease, given the time of year, prolonged poor form or even worse, more injuries.

There's always the chance that his form and the teams could improve but I severely doubt that tbh.

I'd be fine with selling him during the summer but selling him now would be suicide. To replace him now we'd have to pay over the odds and just waste the money we get for him. Instead of doing it during the summer where we could have time to look properly and get in 2 or 3 players for the money

He's also on just about the worst run of form he's been on with us. So if we sold him now we'd likely get less for him than ever.

You'd like to think, as it can't get much worse (whether that's his fault or the team he's playing in), that his form will likely pick up for the rest of the season

The Summer is the time to sell him, and then look to sign a quality replacement CF and another attacking player (winger or AM) with the money. Quality not quantity.

Yep, like bobzy said you sell someone like benteke to then bring in a few decent ones.

You'd like to think the benteke money, plus what ever our budget would have been would bring in a good striker and a couple of wingers.

We could rebuild our entire front line after selling him.

Sell Benteke right now and we are going down, even with him we are going to struggle as his form (or interest) isn't great at the moment.

He along with Delph and Vlaar will be gone in the summer but we can worry about that then for now we need our best players playing well I just hope Benteke can find the form of 2 seasons ago and dig us out of this hole.

• Like 1

He is low on confidence like a lot of them, a lot had been made, and rightly so, about our attrocious goalscoring form. Selling him is crazy, he will be scoring again, of course he will. He's under contract for a few years yet. We can sell him when we want to and now is not that time. Even if we went down, we could still command a highish fee of around £20m, and im sure there would be plenty of takers. He won over a lot of admiring eyes after that first season with us. But make no mistake, there is no one else in our side who is remotely capable of scoring the goals to keep us up and win us a few more game. Yeah, he has been pretty pony of late, but he's a beast why are people forgetting. He started off like this in his first year- we were all calling him Benteskey. Had another spell like it last season too took him 10 or so games to score again then got 3 in 3 vs. Arsenal, Plop, WBA. When he's on it, theres no one better for us.

It's a tough call don't get me wrong that could go either way.

But right now, we are heading down IMO, and that's with Benteke.

We have to do something.

Lamberts comment regarding that not being enough for his left boot is just a stupid one. A) because it's wrong and B) because when we do sell him, I guarantee itl be for less than 25m!

By my rough calculation we scored maybe 9 goals in 16 games without Benteke, so I think it is safe to say the problems run deeper than CB being in a bad run of form. The scoring ratio has not really improved upon his return either, but so far you can kind of cut CB some slack as he has had an horrendous injury so it will take him time to get fully back and confident. I definitly would not sell him at this moment in time though as I think that would see us go down, it would be madness.Neither Gabby, Weimann or the midfield stepped up with much in the way of goal contributions in CB's abscence, so I think that it is a little unfair and shortsighted to be laying all of the blame at Benteke's feet. We have got to try and utilise CB better, and hopefully with the addition of a couple of players (one hopefully being Gil) we can create better chances more regularly which in itself will give us more likelihood of scoring more often.

More in the shit than we are now with an uninterested, not scoring Benteke?

You can keep calling him uninterested all you want, that doesn't make it true.

What's the suggestion here then? Sell low (we'd be lucky to get £15m right now) and replace him with another striker who we don't provide chances for, in the space of a week?

Â