Christian Benteke

Kwan

howcome everyone hate tottenham

after some time on this board, it seems like Villa supporters hate everyone :)  

there's the obvious WBA, Birmingham City and Wolves, but apart from that I've read quite some negative remarks about both Manchesters, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea, Newcastle, Stoke, Arsenal, Wigan, Sunderland... pretty much every team that seems to be anything else than a gray mid-table team (Fulham, Swansea, Norwich)

• Like 1

howcome everyone hate tottenham?

Similar club to us except they have spent their money a lot more wisely the past few years. Pretty much it is envy that we could have been where they are and it sticks in the craw.

At least thats why I hate them anyway :)

so you hate them because they made the right choises but AVFC not?

Correct.

Now the latest Twitter rubbish is that Anzhi have made an enquiry. Please, please, let it be so.

One way ticket to Russia.

Also heard that Alianza Lima were intrested, offer was two marmalade sandwiches and a pack of llamas, you know the club that padington bear played for when he got sent out to deapest darkest Peru. Sorry guys "I've got kids so thats how ITK.)

not that i believe a word of it but initial 18m is a joke fee.. with or without addons.

I hope its true-The further the clubs are apart,the more likely it is that an agreement won't be reached.

£18m is a load of tosh. We got £20m for Downing who is older, shitter and had less contract remaining. It's not going to happen.

Yes I know-That's what I'm saying.

Dont see a reason to hate spurs, they invested well and are now well ahead of us, if they want benteke they will pay top price for him.

Gareth bale though. Hate him. Hate his stupid celebration heart® and his primate face.

If Benteke doesn't hit the ground running at Spurs I can see things becoming really difficult for him. Clearly not all Spurs fans want him in the first place and they'll all expect him to carry the form from the end of last season into the new season. Fans will get on his back and he might find himself wishing he was back at Villa where the fans worshiped him and he may just regret this decision.

Maybe not of course, but I'd love to see it happen.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

howcome everyone hate tottenham

after some time on this board, it seems like Villa supporters hate everyone :)  

there's the obvious WBA, Birmingham City and Wolves, but apart from that I've read quite some negative remarks about both Manchesters, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea, Newcastle, Stoke, Arsenal, Wigan, Sunderland... pretty much every team that seems to be anything else than a gray mid-table team (Fulham, Swansea, Norwich)

Pretty much sums me up-Although Spurs gain extra hatred as they are a cockney team & media darlings.

Plus their fans spout "Cam on you Spurs" like annoying parrots

I don't know if Spurs have spent wisely. They are very much a one man team. Without Bale last season they would be midtable. Don't hate Spurs either and love Bale because I think he's a fantastic player.

Dont see a reason to hate spurs, they invested well and are now well ahead of us, if they want benteke they will pay top price for him.

Gareth bale though. Hate him. Hate his stupid celebration heart® and his primate face.

Oh, it's a heart. WTF does he do that for? I've seen him do it but naturally assumed the gesture was him acknowledging that despite the fact he'd just scored, he knows he is actually a massive word removed.

If Benteke is really determined to leave, he’ll do everything he can to make Villa want to sell. This includes going on strike. This puts Villa in a very precarious position and makes this situation different to those experienced in the past with the likes of Barry and Milner. It happened to us with Berbatov, who in the end simply refused to play.

For Villa, the threat of him refusing to play is more significant than is being acknowledged in this thread. Each time it’s mentioned, it’s also pointed out that’s is WC year, so he wont do this. But that suggests you’d be happy to let him strike for the whole season, which is very unlikely to be the case. Even Man City, with all their money, relented and brought Tevez back into the fold with the hope he’s re-ignite their title challenge. If you are in a relegation fight, which most would predict without Benteke you will be, he’d be back in the team in no time. No matter how much pride is at stake, it simply isn’t worth getting relegated over, which would be catastrophic for the club.

If you look at the fixture list, Benteke might simply have to refuse to kick a ball until October and by then it might all ready be too late. He and his agent know that either his goals or quality additions to the squad are going to be key to your survival. Lambert knows it, Lerner knows it, all fans know it and Benteke/his agent certainly know it.

So come the start of the season, if Benteke is on strike refusing to play and there is a £20 million bid in the offing, don’t you honestly think Lambert will be urging Lerner to accept and Lerner will probably be pleased that his manager is doing this? If Benteke is adamant he wont play, then there does come a point when it’s simply foolish to refuse a half decent offer. Hence Benteke and his agent are in a very powerful situation.

However, everyone involved knows this, but it isn’t just Villa who have something to lose by letting this go to the wire. For buying clubs there is s significant advantage in having Benteke in their squad asap. So the buying club have a reason to pay a premium to get the deal done. This is where Villa do have some power, but not to the extent most on here seem to think and why I believe, it’s being leaked by Midlands journalists that a deal can be done at £25 million, rather than figures of £30 million+ being banded around.

If Benteke really wants to go, a deal at a lower price will almost certainly be available in the last week of the window. People can say things like “you don’t know Lerner” etc, but the reality is Lerner hasn’t been in a position like this before, so no one knows how he’ll react. In the past he’s always done what it best for Villa and is a business man after all, so in this case, the chances are very high that he and Lambert will conclude to sell is the best for Villa. They simply can’t afford to not have either their star striker of decent replacements, as the threat of relegation is too real. This simply wasn’t the case with Barry. I know most of you will reject that, but I think it’s very likely and am sure the vast majority of non Villa fans would agree.

So, if he had somewhere lined up, I think Benteke can and will leave if he really wants to. However, I doubt many clubs would want to buy him that way, as it puts them at a disadvantage concerning their own planning. I doubt Benteke wants to do it that way. I also doubt Villa want to do it that way. So something in between will most likely happen, which is why I believe this £25 million price tag is being leaked. 

For a Spurs fan who claims not to have seen too much of Benteke, you are jumping to some wild assumptions regarding Villa's prospects without him. Our form in 2013 is good, There is no doubt that Benteke is very good, but we have Helenius, Weimann and Agbonlahor who could all potentially spearhead the attack. One thing we are not under Lambert is a one man team.

I htink you will find the longer this drags on the less likely a deal will be reached. According to press reports Benteke has himself declared that he wants the deal sorted out, so the longer Spurs take to come up with a deal acceptable to Villa the more bewildered he is likely to become with Spurs, at the end of the day Spurs have spoken with his agent and announced their interest, someone has told Benteke to put in a transfer request, Villa have accepted that and stated no deal will be made if our valuation is not met, what we (Villa & Spurs fans) think the valuation is really doesn't matter, but it is apparent that either Spurs interest is not as strong a sit seems, or they cannot/will not meet our valuation....if neither of these is the case then why hasn't the deal been concluded ?

For me, if I were Benteke i'd look at it like this, Villa want me, have shown faith in me, and treated me very well despite how i have behaved, whereas Tottenham say they want me, have promised me the world but don't seem to have the conviction or funds to back that up.

Regarding the possibility of Benteke striking, I think a professional footballer at his level who chooses not to play when asked to would find it very difficult to find a new club, not even Spurs would want him, so he would be acting on extremely poor advice if he were to do that. If he goes on strike. I know it's been said elsewhere, but i will repeat it here, Benteke is on a relatively cheap contract, we paid only £7M for him, the transfer fee is  amortised over the period of the contract, so actually Villa stand to lose nothing by letting him rot in the reserves, obviously we stand to gain if we sell him and a bad apple is out of the club, but we are not in a position where we have to bow to player pressure and sell at any old price.

One more thing, everyone seems to be talking like our spending is done. None of us know how much Lambert still has to spend, but we do know (kind of) that we've been looking at Belhnada and Kiyotake, so there is clearly still money left in the pot without further sales, I fully expect the plan is to sign a couple of higher profile players to supplement the young inexperienced squad, and Lerner has proven in the past he will back a manager that has proved capable (hell even McLeish was given £20M).

S as politely as possible SPurs fans, either stump up or F@#K OFF. UTV

• Like 1

Spurs, Benteke, Villa, we are all just players - Sky and the premier league are the real villians here. They've created a scenario where only 4 clubs can win the league , or get on the CL gravy train - That makes selling your ass to the highest bidder perfectly acceptable.

Oh for the days - when anyone from about 12 clubs could challenge for the title - we stood up, we kicked off @ 3pm, and the only live match was the FA cup final.

• Like 2

With regard to tapping up, I believe it happens in most transfers.

The agents talk to clubs and agents are far more powerful than is really talked about. 

An agent can convince a club to bid for their player, telling them what the club will sell for, what their client currently earns and what they will expect to be paid.

An agent may deal with one club and not another due to a previous bad experience.

Now it's true Villa have been thanked for their past behaviour so maybe it's a club policy to do things in the perceived right way.

It's clear Kismet has spoken to Spurs but I'm not shocked or outraged by this as it is how things work.

• Like 1

If Benteke is really determined to leave, he’ll do everything he can to make Villa want to sell. This includes going on strike. This puts Villa in a very precarious position and makes this situation different to those experienced in the past with the likes of Barry and Milner. It happened to us with Berbatov, who in the end simply refused to play.

For Villa, the threat of him refusing to play is more significant than is being acknowledged in this thread. Each time it’s mentioned, it’s also pointed out that’s is WC year, so he wont do this. But that suggests you’d be happy to let him strike for the whole season, which is very unlikely to be the case. Even Man City, with all their money, relented and brought Tevez back into the fold with the hope he’s re-ignite their title challenge. If you are in a relegation fight, which most would predict without Benteke you will be, he’d be back in the team in no time. No matter how much pride is at stake, it simply isn’t worth getting relegated over, which would be catastrophic for the club.

If you look at the fixture list, Benteke might simply have to refuse to kick a ball until October and by then it might all ready be too late. He and his agent know that either his goals or quality additions to the squad are going to be key to your survival. Lambert knows it, Lerner knows it, all fans know it and Benteke/his agent certainly know it.

So come the start of the season, if Benteke is on strike refusing to play and there is a £20 million bid in the offing, don’t you honestly think Lambert will be urging Lerner to accept and Lerner will probably be pleased that his manager is doing this? If Benteke is adamant he wont play, then there does come a point when it’s simply foolish to refuse a half decent offer. Hence Benteke and his agent are in a very powerful situation.

However, everyone involved knows this, but it isn’t just Villa who have something to lose by letting this go to the wire. For buying clubs there is s significant advantage in having Benteke in their squad asap. So the buying club have a reason to pay a premium to get the deal done. This is where Villa do have some power, but not to the extent most on here seem to think and why I believe, it’s being leaked by Midlands journalists that a deal can be done at £25 million, rather than figures of £30 million+ being banded around.

If Benteke really wants to go, a deal at a lower price will almost certainly be available in the last week of the window. People can say things like “you don’t know Lerner” etc, but the reality is Lerner hasn’t been in a position like this before, so no one knows how he’ll react. In the past he’s always done what it best for Villa and is a business man after all, so in this case, the chances are very high that he and Lambert will conclude to sell is the best for Villa. They simply can’t afford to not have either their star striker of decent replacements, as the threat of relegation is too real. This simply wasn’t the case with Barry. I know most of you will reject that, but I think it’s very likely and am sure the vast majority of non Villa fans would agree.

So, if he had somewhere lined up, I think Benteke can and will leave if he really wants to. However, I doubt many clubs would want to buy him that way, as it puts them at a disadvantage concerning their own planning. I doubt Benteke wants to do it that way. I also doubt Villa want to do it that way. So something in between will most likely happen, which is why I believe this £25 million price tag is being leaked. 

If Benteke point blank refuses to play Aston Villa - to force his move to spurs - think about what you're getting - sure he's a great player, plenty of goals, in that respect he will do well for you. that's so long as everything is going his way. 

What goes around comes around, He's a great player, with the developing spurs team - he's gotta be worth £25m - easily. I don't know the state of spurs finances - but I wouldn't think that size of fee is beyond you. You may think you wait for Benteke to go on strike, and hope its gets messy, to force the price down. Equally another may match the asking price, Bentekes agent tells him that spurs aren't coming up with the cash - and bang youve lost him - and possibly your chance of cracking the top 4....

We all love a bargain - but equally sometimes you have to pay the asking price - for the greater good.

Clearly been tapped up.

But like every time there has been a sniff of money in the air, we've rolled over. Why not just reject the request?

It's a shame, but that's the new modern Villa, where staying up is the only aim.

I hope he's a complete failure.

Because they are a deluded bunch who insist that they are title challengers every year, even though the last time they won it was in 1961. The fact that they get disproportionately more media coverage than similar sized clubs, because they are from London.  That they endlessly go on about the ‘Tottenham way’. The fact they charge over 80 quid for tickets because they can. That White Hart Lane is in a shit hole and miles from a tube stop. That they embraced money in football before virtually anyone else- ‘there used to be a football club over there’. Alan Sugar. Chas and bloody Dave. I mean I could go on....

But Dembéle and Vertonghen play there

Because they are a deluded bunch who insist that they are title challengers every year, even though the last time they won it was in 1961. The fact that they get disproportionately more media coverage than similar sized clubs, because they are from London.  That they endlessly go on about the ‘Tottenham way’. The fact they charge over 80 quid for tickets because they can. That White Hart Lane is in a shit hole and miles from a tube stop. That they embraced money in football before virtually anyone else- ‘there used to be a football club over there’. Alan Sugar. Chas and bloody Dave. I mean I could go on....

But Dembéle and Vertonghen play there

Who????

End of the day he is gone, more annoying than that is, he is going to spurs, which is the cherry on top of the shit cake we've had to eat for the past 3 yrs. We will probably get a decent wedge but it won't be what we deserve, he'll score against us, they'll finish well above us and he'll be proved right. The media will lap it up and it will all be about spurs and AVB who made him, and his time at villa will be a distant memory. I know this how? Because I'm a villa fan and this is the premier league, we've seen it happen countless times for over two decades.

Lambert will spend the money well, but I'd be very surprised if he found another benteke.

• Like 2

Â