Christian Benteke

Kwan

He should be fined for that alone!

I'm sorry but Villa have to play hard buggers in this, otherwise the exact same thing will happen to Westwood, Lowton, Okore, Weimann....the list goes on and on. The club need to make an example out of Benteke. If he doesnt return for training tomorrow, fine him two week's wages!

You have to be careful about how you go about it though.

If we want to be a club that attracts the best young talant around then we can't afford to get a reputation for screwing over those prospects once they want to move on to bigger things.

Benteke should be fined if he doesn't train (or commits some other misconduct) but not for simply asking for a move.

Agree with most of that Trent and this is where we are as a club. I would just say that I guess the stick comes from major disappointment that it is this summer, next year and I doubt there would have been any issue at all.

I think a lot of the disappointment also stems from the fact that Benteke is trying to force a move through before any firm bids had even been lodged. I would be more understanding if Arsenal had already tabled a £26m offer, resulting in Benteke handing in a transfer request. As it stands, no one has come in with an acceptable offer and Benteke is actively trying to engineer a move away from the club.

yeah maybe. But then that is what players do, not all the time but we have seen that before. For me it is not the engineering it is the timing. I think that's what's pissing villa off too

I do still agree with your original point though. Benteke is very much a product of how the club is now being ran. There are benefits to unearthing relatively unknown youngsters, and there are drawbacks. If we unearth a player as good as Benteke then he is bound to seek pastures new at some point.

Only other thing i would add Trent is that by all accounts he had twice told Villa he was going to sign a new contract & then goes back on his word.. Also i have no problem with him moving up in the World but as others have said one season takes the Mick frankly.. It's all very well these blokes coming here & all but we will never be able to build anything if they come for one season & then do one. Surely he would know that? & in my opinion that is why so many are giving him stick. Basically it has to be a two way thing... We give them a chance to come and build a career and get to the top in return they understand what we are trying to do here & that one season is not going to help us do that so the least they should do is return the favour and help us in our quest not be detrimental to it by "doing a Benteke".

Edited by danceoftheshamen

Agree with most of that Trent and this is where we are as a club. I would just say that I guess the stick comes from major disappointment that it is this summer, next year and I doubt there would have been any issue at all.

I think a lot of the disappointment also stems from the fact that Benteke is trying to force a move through before any firm bids had even been lodged. I would be more understanding if Arsenal had already tabled a £26m offer, resulting in Benteke handing in a transfer request. As it stands, no one has come in with an acceptable offer and Benteke is actively trying to engineer a move away from the club.

yeah maybe. But then that is what players do, not all the time but we have seen that before. For me it is not the engineering it is the timing. I think that's what's pissing villa off too

I do still agree with your original point though. Benteke is very much a product of how the club is now being ran. There are benefits to unearthing relatively unknown youngsters, and there are drawbacks. If we unearth a player as good as Benteke then he is bound to seek pastures new at some point.

I'd much rather us have problems like this though, worst case is we get a load of cash. rather than our problems being old players losing form, not being arsed and still being on huge wages with long contracts.

Ultimately player exodus is going to make us a victim of our own success if Lambert continues to unearth players like Benteke. This is not in any shape or form meant to be a criticism of finding those players but rather an exceptance on how our club is going to be run for the foreseeable future.

The difficulty with that policy will it allow us to build a team which will move us into a position where we have the ability to challenge for the top six on a consistent basis?

• Like 1

Only other thing i would add Trent is that by all accounts he had twice told Villa he was going to sign a new contract & then goes back on his word..

I've seen nothing to suggest this is the case.

I gather that he made his intention clear some time ago so I doubt he has made these false promises.

Agree or disagree with his transfer request, he has been demonised by some of the stories being peddled from those claiming insider knowledge.

Only other thing i would add Trent is that by all accounts he had twice told Villa he was going to sign a new contract & then goes back on his word..

I've seen nothing to suggest this is the case.

Can't find the article now after much searching about but sure Paul Lambert was quoted as saying that he was annoyed because CB had twice indicated through the season that he would be happy to sign a new contract?.... Maybe i was seeing things? :unsure:

I think we were kidding ourselves that he ever really cared about the club.  His goal celebrations seemed rather unenthusiastic and self congratulatory.  He never came out and said nice things about us as a club either.

• Like 3

Look how he treated Genk. That is enough to suggest that if he did well here his time would only end up going one way.

He is the picture of a modern footballer.

I gave up getting annoyed about these things a few seasons ago. I much prefer the likes of Weimann and Guzan than the Benteke's of this world.

I think we were kidding ourselves that he ever really cared about the club.  His goal celebrations seemed rather unenthusiastic and self congratulatory.  He never came out and said nice things about us as a club either.

I got the exact same feeling

I really don't understand the stick he has got.

We buy young, cheap players with something to prove and we pay them accordingly. Should we really be surprised that when they do prove themselves and other clubs come sniffing and can offer better prospects of success and far more money the players head is turned?

He isn't one of us and he didn't grow up loving Aston Villa. The truth is that just about every single one of us in his position would have their head turned. Personally, I'm disappointed in him for not giving us more than a year, sure I am, I think he should have given us more than that but ultimately I don't really blame him for wanting to make the most of his career, it is how we got him in the first place after all.

So far, he hasn't really done a lot wrong. He has formally requested a transfer and then pretty much kept his mouth shut and his head down, no bitching in the press. That could change obviously but I will judge him on that when and if it happens not before.

He has conducted himself as a professional even if we don't like what he has done. Compare that to the conduct of the two faced arse Downing who said he owed us (and did) and then was caught posing in a bar with a Liverpool scarf. Or compare it to the horrific attitude of Gareth Barry when we dared to want his market value from Liverpool, do people remember that newspaper interview he gave? Yet recently a lot of people were saying they would like to have him back. Milner, well he as with everything the lad does was the true professional.

Benteke is far from being as bad (so far) as Downing and Barry and although I'm disappointed in the outcome and in him I don't actually think he deserves the stick he is getting presently and put it down to just being a manifestation of same feelings in other people. We all know Benteke is special and it will hurt to lose him especially so quickly and after so many others in recent years.

The club wants to sign young, hungry players rather than misfits like Ireland and N'Zogbia so unfortunately it is going to bite us on the arse at times when we really get it right because those players are young and hungry.

Still I'd rather have people like Benteke for a year than Heskey for 4.

If he goes, he goes. We will move on and in Lambert I'm convinced (so long as he is backed) upwards.

So if we get the price we want he can go, if we don't he can stay. If the later happens and he starts playing up, then he will deserve stick but he doesn't particularly so far in my view.

The best post id read in months on here!

It will be very interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

If he wants to put himself in the position where we cannot possibly keep him then he wont turn up tomorrow. I suspect the club have got an idea that this is exactly what he has planned which is why the stories of him being fined have appeared this morning.

I hope the club re-iterate to his agent the fee they want and the deadline for any deal to be done or its all off. Then at least he and any suitors will know the situation.

yup tomorrow is a big moment in all this. If he doesn't turn up and gets fined, then throws a strop and goes on strike we'll have to make it clear that no matter what he does if we don't get the money we want for him then he'll not be playing in the world cup.

I think you might have been seeing things!

I've seen it as well but can't remember where or exactly when. I won't attest to its veracity, though I would not be surprised by it.

Might have been a twitter rumour.

I think he will turn up to training tomorrow myself. I wonder if he will make a statement.

I got the exact same feeling

His goal celebrations did not seem unenthusiastic at all, I believe many of you are annoyed at Benteke putting in a transfer request, and as a result you are now all of a sudden seeing things that are just not there. If he had not put in the transfer request, would you still be thinking his celebrations were unenthusiastic?

Yep.  I used to specifically look out for them at the time.

Â