Kwan

Maybe we should just let him go:

Born: DR Congo, 3 December 1990

Clubs: Standard Liege 2009-2011

Kortrijk (loan) 2009-10

Mechelen (loan) 2010-11

Genk 2011-12

Aston Villa 2012-

This was on the BBC site so he hasn't played more than one season for any team.

Journeyman written all over him as I have said.  Mercenary.  

I have a question for those of you saying that we must use the multi millions from the sale of Benteke to buy quality players. Given that quality players (and their agents) demand large salaries what makes you think that this blip with CB will make Randy/PF/PL throw their "buy cheap and hungry prospects policy" out of the window?

I have a question for those of you saying that we must use the multi millions from the sale of Benteke to buy quality players. Given that quality players (and their agents) demand large salaries what makes you think that this blip with CB will make Randy/PF/PL throw their "buy cheap and hungry prospects policy" out of the window?

Benteke was hardly cheap in the first place.

Do you want to know what I find most surprising? The amount of people who are posting at 2, 3, 4 or 5am in the morning. I know the vast majority of you are in the UK, so don't you have beds to go to? I went to bed last night at 11ish and the thread was about 402 pages, and now I have just logged in at 11.10 on my break and it's nearly 430. Crazy.

Speaking for myself, I was just about to go to bed at 11:30 or and had a last check of the forum for any transfer gossip. I was so dismayed I immediately when downstairs, got two beers out of the fridge and stayed up for another hour and a bit drinking and venting.

So thanks CB and VT for my tired eyes this morning...

• Like 1

If anything getting £25-30m for a 23 year old after one year is pretty much proof that this policy is working. Why wouldn't they stick to it? If you consider PL to have a 50% strike rate on his signings - we will have 3-4 new top class signings by the end of the window.That alone should soften the Benteke blow. 

Just hope Helenius is one of the successes.

Blip?

This is the business model we wanted. Admittedly we didn't expect it this quickly.

The entire business model is by young, hungry, talented and cheap players. Build them up, if we keep them - great, we build something. If we dont, we either make very little loss because they weren't good enough. Or, we sell them on for huge profits in order to fund the next round of incomings.

£25-30m will fund this summer, January and most of next summers transfer exploits. This is the model working perfectly in action.

• Like 4

So if one of the players we signed this window has a stormer whats to stop them wanting out next summer

Obviously not all players are as disrespectful as Benteke but thats football

This, right here, is exactly what this club is about, and not in a particularly bad way. Just as much as unearthing gems is rewarding, we have to realise that when they become too good for us, then we take the money and re-invest. When you buy young unknowns, then you do so because you probably wouldn't be able to attract them when playing at their full potential.

I'm not particularly sad about any of this, buying low and selling high will become a major play for us for years to come. On the matter of Benteke: He kept us up last year and for that I will always be thankfull. We talk about loyalty, but if he didn't work out for us then we'd be shipping him off, just like we've done with Holman. There's no loyalty in football from either side.

• Like 4

This is the business model we wanted. Admittedly we didn't expect it this quickly.

The entire business model is by young, hungry, talented and cheap players. Build them up, if we keep them - great, we build something. If we dont, we either make very little loss because they weren't good enough. Or, we sell them on for huge profits in order to fund the next round of incomings.

£25-30m will fund this summer, January and most of next summers transfer exploits. This is the model working perfectly in action.

Exactly. We've swapped from a system where you make a massive loss on deadwood or have them hang around milking their contract to a system where your players come into their prime and potentially move for massive fees. There'll be pain because essentially we're going to be selling players the fans don't want to sell. But if we re-invest properly then it's all good.
  • Like 3

Blip?

I suppose you're right.

I think the biggest fear for us Villa fans is that over the past few years, whenever we have sold our better players we have replaced them with dross. This would all be a lot easier to take if we had some history of replacing players well. It's the fear of having another Ireland/N'zogbia again which is making me struggle with this business model.

• Like 1

So if one of the players we signed this window has a stormer whats to stop them wanting out next summer

Obviously not all players are as disrespectful as Benteke but thats football

Nothing

The only thing to stop players leaving is a successful club paying higher wages and in order to pay the wages required (as our owner cannot fund it) we need to be successful and also sell players for profit.

Trouble is for success you generally need players to stay for more than 9 months

Having faith and fingers crossed that he would stay has led to disappointment and frustration.  My disappointment and frustration is not with Benteke as we have survived many disappointments such as Brian Little (twice: transfer and injury), Andy Gray, John Gidman and so on through to the present day.  My frustration and disappointment is knowing, as other posters have said, that the ‘project’ will be difficult to fulfill if every season or two our players leave. What happens if Helenius bangs in 20 next season, or Okore is the rock in defense we all hope he will be and Skys’ 4 lovers come knocking on the door.  How long before Lambert’s motivational phrase of “We go again” becomes thoughts of “Here we go again” and his head is turned towards a project that can be sustained and achieved. These are the questions I find myself asking and are the basis of my disappointment and frustration.

As we see ourselves creeping up the league and generally become more successful, that will change, but we must be constantly talent spotting and wheeling and dealing until we find ourselves OFF the back foot and ON the front foot. We are finding ourselves in this position because the player( Benteke) has out grown/performed the TEAM. He is aware big money and prospects are calling him. It will change, but only if we are making steady progress on a consistent basis.

I believe we should have gone in early for Lakaku and made a statement of intent, but hey its all much easier from OUR angle.

Blip?

I suppose you're right.

I think the biggest fear for us Villa fans is that over the past few years, whenever we have sold our better players we have replaced them with dross. This would all be a lot easier to take if we had some history of replacing players well. It's the fear of having another Ireland/N'zogbia again which is making me struggle with this business model.

We've changed since then.

Blip?

The entire business model is by young, hungry, talented and cheap players. Build them up, if we keep them - great, we build something. If we dont, we either make very little loss because they weren't good enough. Or, we sell them on for huge profits in order to fund the next round of incomings.

100% agree. And the way football is at the moment with all these Agents and Mercanaries I love this approach. First time in years i am really proud to be a Villa fan with the way they are making a stand.

• Like 2

Blip?

Exactly, and as long as the results on the pitch continue timprove year on year from now on then it has been a great success.

Â