Dafabet is our new official sponsor

BOF

Too much moral high ground being taken here for me.

Two words, will power.

If you can't control yourself then you don't deserve safeguarding.

there are many reasons why people wouldn't have strong willpower, and to ask that to overcome an addiction? like i say i don't think we should be safeguarding i have no issue, i take issue with what people are suggesting about gambling and addicts

They wouldn't pay all this money if they didn't believe it would create new gamblers.

You can say you don't have a problem with that but trying to deny it happens is just wishful thinking.

There isn't anything wrong with gambling if it's done responsibly.

I'm probably in the minority here but I don't gamble online. I find it harder to gamble large sums if I have to physically hand the money over.  :)

I don't understand the backlash on this thread as this is not new territory for Villa.

I don't know if I have caught the wrong end of the stick on something that I have heard, but is Carson Yeung a shareholder in this Dafabet company? If so, then his money is coming into our pockets which seems all the sweeter if it is being syphoned from City...

I heard this from a City fan who was trying to make it seem that Yeung would now have some form of control in the Villa boardroom, so exactly how much of this is factual or just some muppet trying to be clever, I cant be sure... but if someone could enlighten me, that would be smashing!

They wouldn't pay all this money if they didn't believe it would create new gamblers.

You can say you don't have a problem with that but trying to deny it happens is just wishful thinking.

I meant addicts.

Nothing wrong withgambling if done responsibly like it should be.

Edited by djamfisher

Of course they want to encourage new gamblers. I myself would encourage people to do it. Its great fun imo. 

And I don't get the cries that it is not family orientated. Ok, there is an age limit for gambling but in my experience it can bring families together. My mum and girlfriend couldn't give a shit about football being on the T.V. - However, once they have a quid on a first goalscorer there jumping up and down like any other fan.

I have my own reasons for being strongly against gambling

and although I do bet,

errrmmmm

fortunate you emitted the rest of that sentence wasn't it!

You don't see it as a little amusing that people who choose to gamble have what I would call a sanctimonious or hypocritical problem with there being a gambling sponsor on our shirt? I also see this curiously consistent outlook in other posts that they make.

I wanted to say this. Thank you.

I have my own reasons for being strongly against gambling

and although I do bet,

errrmmmm

fortunate you emitted the rest of that sentence wasn't it!

still makes no difference to the somewhat hypocritical POV you appear to be peddling  ....

It's like saying I'm strongly against domestic violence so I only beat my wife with my hands rather than a stick

• Like 3

I have been a keen gambler for the last 9 or 10 years. I don't remember football sponsorship having much to do with it.

Oh, well that anicdote settles it then ;)

Seriously lads. There is a reason they pay literally millions in advertising and psychologists etc and it is to turn people on to their product.

For most people that is not a problem but some people get thrown under the bus so to speak and it affects them very badly (no one on here obviously).

It is one thing to say 'bad luck lad, you should have had more will power' but to try and deny it happens is just an attempt to feel better about the whole situation.

Personally I'm in the personal responsibility camp but I can see why people have an issue with it and can understand people who want gambling advertising banned in a similar way to cigarette advertising.

The powers that be here in Australia are looking to ban all gambling advertisements for sport, so maybe one day it will also happen in the UK at some point but until then as long as it's legal I don't have an issue with it.

Personally I don't gamble often, in fact I think Red Rum was running when I last handed over 50p. Yes I was a big spender lol. So it hasn't affected me seeing adverts for betting and neither did I drink Bells Scotch Whiskey even though I saw it advertised in every Villa game and programme when I was a kid.

F### nor do I smoke!! Now I'm bloody depressed, what have I missed out on hahahaha. 

I remember the great Valentino Rossi once saying in an interview that he would never ride for a team with tobacco sponsorship. Not long after he signed for Gauloises Yamaha.

Thom Yorke (yes, he) said he was harangued for wearing Nikes in the "Just" video, he didn't even realise there was a problem! And this happened to a guy who supported so many worthy causes, it wasn't true, but for this one "error" he was sounded out! He admitted that to take the moral high ground, you have to be squeaky clean.

Let's face it, who is?

Edited by turnbull

I have been a keen gambler for the last 9 or 10 years. I don't remember football sponsorship having much to do with it.

Seriously lads. There is a reason they pay literally millions in advertising and psychologists etc and it is to turn people on to their product.

For most people that is not a problem but some people get thrown under the bus so to speak and it affects them very badly (no one on here obviously).

It is one thing to say 'bad luck lad, you should have had more will power' but to try and deny it happens is just an attempt to feel better about the whole situation.

Personally I'm in the personal responsibility camp but I can see why people have an issue with it and can understand people who want gambling advertising banned in a similar way to cigarette advertising.

I think the majority of their business will come from existing account holders from other site - i.e. someone with a Bet365 or Paddypower account giving Dafbet a try.

Brand awareness rather than industry awareness if you like.

For new converts to gambling, I think seeing Ray Winstone's mug at half time saying "go on son, 'ave faaackin flutter, here are the odds" much more targeted.

That's exposing anyone to the mechanics of the bet, without discrimination and far more likely to get new member to give it a whirl.

Advertising your brand is very different and I guess is aimed at starling the market share of existing gamblers in the main.

• Like 1

Unlike any other retail / financial / engineering company who instead sit on their arses, do nothing and expect business to come to them.

Get real guys, this is the way of the world.

Betting has been a part of matchday for a long time, as long as i can remember going to games anyway it's just a simpler process now as with most transactional activities.

Edited by bannedfromHandV