Dafabet is our new official sponsor

BOF

Also, I wouldn't call posting for attention/effect 'having an opinion'. I'd call it 'increasing ones post count'.

Exactly. Pure sensationalism overtaking another thread.

Just because the club haven't announced how much the deal is, doesn't mean that it is less than the genting deal. Perhaps Dafabet don't want the figures released, perhaps the club are negotiating transfers and don't want other clubs to know that they have an additional x amount in the accounts.

Sorry, but i dont buy any of that.

Your right about reasons but the two mentoned hold no substance in my opinion. If the club are holding fire on releasing figures then im guessing its at the request of Dafebet.

Yes they offer a legal service, however it's a service which can lead to massive problems for many people , a problem that is on a massive increase. We will now be normalising the next generation of kids to believe that betting / in play and all this nonsense is part and parcel of the game and sport generally. I don't endorse that and it's a shame my club do. Yes I bet. I can control it (I think).

Not everyone can control it. Its a problem that's only getting bigger .

If you have such a strong moral objection to it, should you not then hold yourself to that standard and not gamble, as an example to your peers?

Yes they offer a legal service, however it's a service which can lead to massive problems for many people , a problem that is on a massive increase. We will now be normalising the next generation of kids to believe that betting / in play and all this nonsense is part and parcel of the game and sport generally. I don't endorse that and it's a shame my club do. Yes I bet. I can control it (I think).

If you have such a strong moral objection to it, should you not then hold yourself to that standard and not gamble, as an example to your peers?

Too true. They sponsor us but everyone who gambles sponsor the gambling companies. Which is worst?

But this thread reminds me of an old Lucky Luke-album. :)

For me, as long as they pay us good money, I don't care.

• Like 1

Wasn't expecting much else tbh... I reckon it would be nice to have acorns on the back beneath the player number, like some lower league and euro teams have. i think Villa's association with Acorns is great and ideally would have them on the front of the shirt every time but finances dictate so it is no surprise we have ended up with another gambling company.

I see where CI is coming from Gareth.

I myself enjoy driving, but what about those people that are less educated, perhaps less middle class than myself? They may drive irresponsibly. This can ruin my day, and also ruin lives.

I therefore object to FIAT being one of our club sponsors!

How far this club has fallen.... Lerner out!!!

• Like 1

Interestingly our deal with Genting was the 6th best in the Prem at £8m a year

better even than Arsenal if the table I saw is correct

Hopefully the new deal is in that ball park

Ive heard £20m for the two years.

It probably isn't.  The club are quick to announce something when it is a record deal for us and they haven't here so it has to be lower than the Genting deal.  It is disappointing to see our shirt deal fall in value at a time when the cost of sponsorship is going up.

We had a higher deal than Arsenal because they were locked into a long term deal stemming from the construction of their stadium, when they renew they will be getting a damn sight more than we do.  Apparently Sunderland managed to get £20m a season from a not for profit group in Invest in Africa.  How did they manage to wrangle that?  I'd assume Miliband might have used a few political connections to make the deal happen but it shits on what we have however you look at it.  I'm just glad we are only in a two year deal. 

Invest in Africa was just a front for Tullow Oil wasn't it ?  but £20m for one season is impressive  ... Sunderland have changed to  BFS Group for this season though

On Dafabet it is interesting to note they don't hold a UK gambling license  and Under the UK’s new Gambling (license and advertising) Bill  being debated in the current session of Parliament, only UK-licensed firms are  permitted to advertise in the UK , including shirts for sports clubs

(nor do 32Red for that matter , so I imagine there will be some football clubs putting pressure on parliament  !!)

I see where CI is coming from Gareth.

I myself enjoy driving, but what about those people that are less educated, perhaps less middle class than myself? They may drive irresponsibly. This can ruin my day, and also ruin lives.

Do you wear sandles with your white socks when out to brunch, sipping pims in your cardigan? :D

I despise the current rise in online gambling sites and i hate the insidious marketing methods of making it oh so easy to start using via tablet, smartphone, etc, even offering bogus "free" bets as a taster.

Anyone who takes this lightheartedly, read this it should be food for thought:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1872731.stm

So bad job, Villa, in agreeing this tawdry deal,.

Edit - sorry, missed out a link

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/addiction-soars-as-online-gambling-hits-2bn-mark-8468376.html

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

Brainwashing? FFS it's just advertising.

Ha ha ha

I rest my case

You rest your case on that? Then your case is dismissed.
  • Like 1

some people see this as morally wrong, others don't. what i have a massive issue with is the fact that i have just been reading point-scoring and mocking from some users simply because people object to having a gambling firm on the front of their clubs shirt.

In some countries gambling is illegal, some people view it as against there religion, surely people are allowed to state they don't like the idea of it being promoted and endorsed on the front of their club shirt?

I don't personally have a problem with it, I have my own reasons for being strongly against gambling but my club advertising it does not effect me. I choose instead to ignore advertising and although I do bet, it is on the very rare occasion and is only a small amount. However, I can very much understand people who don't wish to see this sort of action taken from the club so their points make perfect sense to me

• Like 1

You don't see it as a little amusing that people who choose to gamble have what I would call a sanctimonious or hypocritical problem with there being a gambling sponsor on our shirt? I also see this curiously consistent outlook in other posts that they make.

• Like 4

These gamblers would've more than likely become gamblers anyway. Gambling advertising is everywhere, so there is little to suggest the Villa having this deal will create more addicted gmablers.

Dafabet are just trying to get themselves noticed ahead of all the others. Everything in moderation is fine like alittle flutter, and everything to excess is bad. It's not as it Dafa's slogan gamble your life away with us a become an addict. We can all questions the moral behind every sponsor

Vodafone, Thames Water - don't pay taxes

Nike - sweattshops

Fiat etc - polluting the planet

McDonald's / cadburys - fat **** and diabetes

Smoking - cancer

Various insurance companies / Dyson etc - cheap labour abroad at the expense of british employees.

I personalloy tink it's about time society started treating adults like adults, and start blaming people a bit more for their own issues, and not always looking for excuses for them.

Edited by djamfisher

They wouldn't pay all this money if they didn't believe it would create new gamblers.

You can say you don't have a problem with that but trying to deny it happens is just wishful thinking.

i think it will create new customers not gamblers

You don't see it as a little amusing that people who choose to gamble have what I would call a sanctimonious or hypocritical problem with there being a gambling sponsor on our shirt? I also see this curiously consistent outlook in other posts that they make.

i think it is a shame for them if despite objecting to gambling or sponsorship, they choose to do it anyway, i wouldn't see it as hypocritical because their gambling is a personal issue and they are looking at how it affects others rather than themselves, and also the image of our club.

• Like 1