Dafabet is our new official sponsor

BOF

I have been a keen gambler for the last 9 or 10 years. I don't remember football sponsorship having much to do with it.

Oh, well that anicdote settles it then ;)

Seriously lads. There is a reason they pay literally millions in advertising and psychologists etc and it is to turn people on to their product

That's to get people to pick their product over others, not to create a generation gambling addicts.

Next people will be complaing if a shops like Debenhams or something for promoting themselves, saying their creating shopaholics, who, they must be stopped. A bit OTT i know,but ,same principle applies.

There are weaker people everywehre that get addicted to all manner of things. Can't protect them all.

Edited by djamfisher

some people see this as morally wrong, others don't. what i have a massive issue with is the fact that i have just been reading point-scoring and mocking from some users simply because people object to having a gambling firm on the front of their clubs shirt.

In some countries gambling is illegal, some people view it as against there religion, surely people are allowed to state they don't like the idea of it being promoted and endorsed on the front of their club shirt?

I don't personally have a problem with it, I have my own reasons for being strongly against gambling but my club advertising it does not effect me. I choose instead to ignore advertising and although I do bet, it is on the very rare occasion and is only a small amount. However, I can very much understand people who don't wish to see this sort of action taken from the club so their points make perfect sense to me

Spot on, petty point scoring. Usual suspects I'm afraid . Bit sad a mod is getting off on it too.

I'd argue that if a 'mod is getting off on it', it means that 'point scoring' (which is against the ToS) is not occurring and maybe, just maybe, you might be in the wrong?

• Like 1

For new converts to gambling, I think seeing Ray Winstone's mug at half time saying "go on son, 'ave faaackin flutter, here are the odds" much more targeted.

That's exposing anyone to the mechanics of the bet, without discrimination and far more likely to get new member to give it a whirl.

Advertising your brand is very different and I guess is aimed at starling the market share of existing gamblers in the main.

When I see Ray Winstone's mug on TV, I hide behind the settee.

I have been a keen gambler for the last 9 or 10 years. I don't remember football sponsorship having much to do with it.

Seriously lads. There is a reason they pay literally millions in advertising and psychologists etc and it is to turn people on to their product.

For most people that is not a problem but some people get thrown under the bus so to speak and it affects them very badly (no one on here obviously).

It is one thing to say 'bad luck lad, you should have had more will power' but to try and deny it happens is just an attempt to feel better about the whole situation.

Personally I'm in the personal responsibility camp but I can see why people have an issue with it and can understand people who want gambling advertising banned in a similar way to cigarette advertising.

Unlike any other retail / financial / engineering company who instead sit on their arses, do nothing and expect business to come to them.

Get real guys, this is the way of the world.

Betting has been a part of matchday for a long time, as long as i can remember going to games anyway it's just a simpler process now as with most transactional activities.

I agree with you.

But there are people on here trying to claim that dafabet are not looking at recruiting new gamblers. That line of thinking is just naive at best.

Who said that? People are saying that Dafabet are recruiting new customers, like any other advertiser would. They are no more immoral than any other big company who would willingly run the customer into the ground, be it through obesity, alcoholism or bankruptcy by shopping (shopping addiction is a thing) or their staff into the ground.

There's just a raft of double standards emanating through this thread and if telling people they are being hypocrites, when they are, is point scoring; then I'm sorry. I must be point scoring.

Edited by StefanAVFC

some people see this as morally wrong, others don't. what i have a massive issue with is the fact that i have just been reading point-scoring and mocking from some users simply because people object to having a gambling firm on the front of their clubs shirt.

In some countries gambling is illegal, some people view it as against there religion, surely people are allowed to state they don't like the idea of it being promoted and endorsed on the front of their club shirt?

I don't personally have a problem with it, I have my own reasons for being strongly against gambling but my club advertising it does not effect me. I choose instead to ignore advertising and although I do bet, it is on the very rare occasion and is only a small amount. However, I can very much understand people who don't wish to see this sort of action taken from the club so their points make perfect sense to me

Spot on, petty point scoring. Usual suspects I'm afraid . Bit sad a mod is getting off on it too.

Unbelievable. I'd say I'm amazed at the startling amount of irony and sheer lack of self awareness but if I was a gambling man (troll face) then I'd wager it was done on purpose to begin with. Do you actually believe the stuff you type?

• Like 2

Who said that? People are saying that Dafabet are recruiting new customers, like any other advertiser would. They are no more immoral than any other big company who would willingly run the customer into the ground, be it through obesity, alcoholism or bankruptcy by shopping (shopping addiction is a thing) or their staff into the ground.

There's just a raft of double standards emanating through this thread and if telling people they are being hypocrites, when they are, is point scoring; then I'm sorry. I must be point scoring.

I am strongly opposed to the growth of internet gambling. I hate it and I don't want to see my club helping this insidious strategy to seduce new and unwitting customers, a proportion of whom are going to get in  way above their heads, with consequences for some individuals of debt, destroyed personal relationships and a host of wider problems. I posted two articles based on careful research which show a strong link between internet gambling and high levels of gambling addiction, particularly amongst new groups previously unfamiliar with gambling. You haven't refuted those so I have to assume you accept their veracity.

Given all that how dare you imply that my reasoned opposition to online gambling is hypocritical?

That is the sort of comment that makes forums like this a waste of time for people seeking to have serious debate. You haven't made any sensible or telling points in this debate; you are losing the argument, so you resort to stupid and offensive abuse. Probably better just to butt out.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

I am strongly opposed to the growth of internet gambling. I hate it and I don't want to see my club helping this insidious strategy to seduce new and unwitting customers, a proportion of whom are going to get in  way above their heads, with consequences for some individuals of debt, destroyed personal relationships and a host of wider problems. I posted two articles based on careful research which show a strong link between internet gambling and high levels of gambling addiction, particularly amongst new groups previously unfamiliar with gambling. You haven't refuted those so I have to assume you accept their veracity.

Given all that how dare you imply that my reasoned opposition to online gambling is hypocritical?

That is the sort of comment that makes forums like this a waste of time for people seeking to have serious debate. You haven't made any sensible or telling points in this debate; you are losing the argument, so you resort to stupid and offensive abuse. Probably better just to butt out.

Breathe. Count to ten. Settle the **** down :lol:

Stefan is right.

• Like 1

Considering that the whole financial world is based on gambling and usuary, now complaining about a (3rd?) gambling sponser is "straining out a gnat, but gulping down a camel" if you'll forgive the religious expression ;)

Edited by Humanoid

Seriously lads. There is a reason they pay literally millions in advertising and psychologists etc and it is to turn people on to their product.

For most people that is not a problem but some people get thrown under the bus so to speak and it affects them very badly (no one on here obviously).

It is one thing to say 'bad luck lad, you should have had more will power' but to try and deny it happens is just an attempt to feel better about the whole situation.

Personally I'm in the personal responsibility camp but I can see why people have an issue with it and can understand people who want gambling advertising banned in a similar way to cigarette advertising.

Unlike any other retail / financial / engineering company who instead sit on their arses, do nothing and expect business to come to them.

Get real guys, this is the way of the world.

Betting has been a part of matchday for a long time, as long as i can remember going to games anyway it's just a simpler process now as with most transactional activities.

I agree with you.

But there are people on here trying to claim that dafabet are not looking at recruiting new gamblers. That line of thinking is just naive at best.

I might have explained myself poorly. I was saying that it would probably have more success in recruiting existing account holders with other sites than brand new gamblers, although naturally they would seek to have both on board.

Please point me to where I have resorted to stupid and offensive abuse. I'd love to see so I could apologise because that isn't usually my style. Going to break this down. Alcohol, obesity and other addictions destroy personal relationships and even whole families. Singling out one particular sector seems shallow. I didn't read them, because I admit gambling companies = gambling addiction. But not everybody who uses gambling websites will be addicted. I'd hazard to say, it's the minority who do. But it's the same with anything. Boycott internet pizza delivery because it allows obese people to get their fix quicker! Obviously an exaggerated example, but it stands firm.

The people I have labelled as hypocrites are people that admit they gamble and people who name other big companies as potential sponsors, who are no more moral than Dafabet.

I honestly apologise if you thought what I was saying was that harshly put that it led you to be as angry as you are. Because that was never my intention.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

Briny, I understand that each person will have their own viewpoint on what could be deemed a controversial (yet increasingly more mainstream) sponsor type.

For me I found the lack of irony of some other posters saying a gambling ruins some people's lives - couldn't we find a nice beer company instead amusing, for want of a better word.

For me, I understand there are (often tragic) implications to irresponsible gambling. Just as there are to drinking and others so called vices. But my question is where do we draw the line?

If we had Carlsberg for instance, would there be a similar outcry?

Cadburys, on kids shirts contributing to diabetes and obesity is real issue is it not?

Or, not for you, but for some, is it a prestige thing with not having a household name as the sponsor? I'm genuinely intrigued to know.

• Like 1

Boycott internet pizza delivery because it allows obese people to get their fix quicker

Get the f**k out of here, you sumbitch.  NOBODY is taking my pizzas away.  :rant:

Boycott internet pizza delivery because it allows obese people to get their fix quicker

Get the f**k out of here, you sumbitch.  NOBODY is taking my pizzas away.  :rant:

Sounds like you've got yourself a pizza problem there, boy.