Younès Belhanda (Montpellier)

Wes

AVFC has not said anything AFAIK. Matt Kendrick however believes we're not in for him, at least he expressed so much a few days ago.

He didn't say we weren't trying to sign him. He just mentioned that we won't be signing anyone that week. 

AVFC has not said anything AFAIK. Matt Kendrick however believes we're not in for him, at least he expressed so much a few days ago.

He didn't say we weren't trying to sign him. He just mentioned that we won't be signing anyone that week. 

Can't find the quote, only several people interpreting him the same way I did.

Or perhaps we all mixed him up with this article in Express & Star (Those local papers are all the same to a foreigner like me :P ):

Aston Villa not interested in Younes Belhanda

Aston Villa are not interested in Younes Belhanda and prepared today to re-enter contract talks with Christian Benteke.

Morocco international Belhanda is not on Paul Lambert’s wishlist and Villa have not bid, despite Montpellier’s claims.

Obviously we're most likely not getting him, but as long as neither the club or the player has denied it I will be hopeful. Hope is fun!

It could be that we enquired in case we had to sell Benteke and had a bit more money to splash on a couple of marquee players. Popov could be a cheaper alternative for if Benteke stays.  It could be we were never in for him.  It could be he's on his way anyway.  It's hard to ignore when a club's chairman and the actual player name us, so I'm sure we must have had some interest.  I guess only time will tell.

You have to keep in mind that the local press are only fed things from Villa, and its all done for a reason. If Kendrick tells us its not happening then its plausible something is.

I think the locals are happy with that, because its a lot more than what the nationals get.

This. Wont. Happen. Get. Over. It.

So people on here keep saying

Strange then that this nagging feeling that we may actually be acquiring the services of this player,  will not go away for me.

• Like 1

It could be that we enquired in case we had to sell Benteke and had a bit more money to splash on a couple of marquee players. Popov could be a cheaper alternative for if Benteke stays. It could be we were never in for him. It could be he's on his way anyway. It's hard to ignore when a club's chairman and the actual player name us, so I'm sure we must have had some interest. I guess only time will tell.

I don't think we'd need to sell Benteke to afford Belhanda.

We spent about £20m on players last season. We've now reduced the wage bill due to Petrov, Dunne, Warnock & Makoun all leaving (or retiring in Petrov's case). Plus, we have the new TV money this season.

We appear to be bringing in Tonev, Okore and Helenius for around £7.5-£8m. I don't think it's too farfetched to assume we bring in a few more players (LB & CM maybe) and still have enough to buy a 'marquee' player for £10m-£12m.

• Like 2

Looking at the transfers we appear to be making this season. 

Helenius - Striker
Tovev and Bacuna - Wingers
Okore - CB

We still need a LB and a CM. Belhanda would be an ideal signing and would fill a gap.

Westwood

Sylla

Delph

Belhanda

That's a good amount of CM's to have at the club.

If we are indeed after him, I have a feeling it may hinge on selling Ireland somewhere and getting his wages off the books, before bringing this player in. 

Edited by PieFacE

If we are indeed after him, I have a feeling it may hinge on selling Ireland somewhere and getting his wages off the books, before bringing this player in. 

It is strange that we are doing quite a bit of business with very little talk of any outgoings other than the Bent links to Fulham etc. Quite refreshing.

It is strange that we are doing quite a bit of business with very little talk of any outgoings other than the Bent links to Fulham etc. Quite refreshing.

There have been links with other players, Bannan and Given spring to mind (gladly springing to mind as well - get them out!) 

Richard stop teasing them!  I wish I had your view on this transfer, I just dont think it will happen.

My view is fairly simple on this.

I would not be as quick or as definite as some on here at saying this is not going to happen,  it is over etc.

I think there is some mileage in it and I am not prepared to write it off just yet.  Does that mean it will definitely happen?  No and I cant say that just yet.  But it also means that saying it definitely wont happen is also not possible. 

From my observation of evens i'm still sticking to my opinion that we could see this lad sign for us in this summer's business.

• Like 1

Richard stop teasing them!  I wish I had your view on this transfer, I just dont think it will happen.

My view is fairly simple on this.

I would not be as quick or as definite as some on here at saying this is not going to happen,  it is over etc.

I think there is some mileage in it and I am not prepared to write it off just yet.  Does that mean it will definitely happen?  No and I cant say that just yet.  But it also means that saying it definitely wont happen is also not possible. 

From my observation of evens i'm still sticking to my opinion that we could see this lad sign for us in this summer's business.

What is your reasoning for that this could happen? Don't you think 10m pounds or there about is a bit much given what Lambert said about big money signings?

Don't want to sound too aggressive, just genuinely curious  :)