Younès Belhanda (Montpellier)

Wes

What smoke? A chairman who'd give Whelan a run for his money. This guy has the same agent as Coutinho allegedly, who we were also linked too. Agent tells Chairman, Villa want your player, I'll publicly announce it.

its been reported in quite a few places and sources. Something doesnt sit right. Its okay if we got knocked back at least were going for these types of players.. i hope.

• Like 1

I don't understand how an article with quotes that says we are interested can be trumped by an article with no quotes that says we are not interested.

Ah but speculation top trumps has very different rules to standard top trumps.

• Like 1

Express and star also said that tonev talk had cooled , next day he is being pictured at BMH, he is a new journo taken over from Abrahams so don't think he really has much clue what is going on

Ahem... we have no idea how big transfer budget Lambert has so there's no point saying "We can't afford 10-15 million player".

Partially true - but as Lambert has told us 'not to to expect any big signings' and 'those days are over' - assume towards the lower end !

It all depends on what Lambert views to be a big signing. Using his comments as a reason for us not signing a player, is pointless unless we know the type of player he was talking about.

Personally, I think he's referring to known players with England caps and Premier League experience (ie: Stewart Downing & Darren Bent) which would, therefore, demand higher wages. But that may be wishful thinking on my part, keeping the Belhanda rumour alive!

He could be referring to good foreign players, like Belhanda, but he might not be.

If we signed Belhanda, I don't think the fans of other teams across England would be saying how big a signing it is. They would be saying £12m for who?

Actually, I read the article again and it is even worse than I thought.  It takes all the quotes that positively associate Belhanda and Aston Villa and bluntly states that they are wrong/lies with no corroborating evidence at all.  Not even a "a source close to the club" or anything. So far the real evidence (from the player involved himself) states that there is contact.  Not 100% cast iron that it is the truth, but far more reliable than a journo with a slow news day page to fill.

• Like 1

Ahem... we have no idea how big transfer budget Lambert has so there's no point saying "We can't afford 10-15 million player".

Partially true - but as Lambert has told us 'not to to expect any big signings' and 'those days are over'  - assume towards the lower end !

Lambert is clever enough not to advertise how much we have to spend. You don't walk in to a market and tell the traders you have X to spend because the first price quoted by them is likely to be X plus their haggle margin!

I don't agree with those stating 'there's no way we would spend €15m on a player'. Currently unlikely? Possibly, but not 'no way'. In any case, the maximum we spend on a player in the next year or so is likely to be influenced by a certain Christian Benteke. I couldn't be certain of the chances of him staying or going this summer. 50-50???

I still believe Lerner would sanction a large transfer fee if the player's contract was right for Villa, i.e. reasonable wages, would take the team forward based on their current ability, would make a profit if they played well above their predicted ability. This would appear to rule out signing large value players in their late twenties.

Having said the above, it makes little sense for a club of our income to be paying any player over around £75k/week. I would expect most £15m+ players to command more than we can sensibly pay them so that does self regulate the high end of the transfer fees.

Back to Belhanda. I agree, at first inspection, it does not seem like the type of transfer we would currently complete but, as unlikely as the transfer may be, I don't believe anyone could be as certain to give it a 'no way'.

Don't think the cloak and dagger works any more. No club is going to drop their asking because they heard lambert we say we are bit skint. Your either in at £15m + £75k per week wages - or you aren't. The price won't be lower if say bankrupt Portsmouth come in for him,.

I would say its unlikley we would be in for a £15m player this summer - Bentekke or not. - We have 2 other potential strikes in Gabby + Weiman, both currently playing slightly wide - but could step inside and we have our new boy outwide + and say Dwight Gayle in reserve. - or something like that - I don't see us splashing an enormous amount on a Bentekke replacement.

Well that was kinda random after belhanda himself commented on it, but we will see. My hype has cooled quite a bit since I got very excited when the news first came out. So far, this doesn`t do anything for me as it really makes no sense.

Express & stars understands...? Doesn't that normally mean that it's bs? Not that I think we're him for sure, but that minor article without any negative quotes won't damper my hopes.

Express and Star are reporting we're not interested

Link

Morocco international Belhanda is not on Paul Lambert’s wishlist and Villa have not bid, despite Montpellier’s claims.

La Paillade president Louis Nicollin said last week Villa had made an offer for the 23-year-old and the midfielder went as far as issuing a ‘come and get me’ plea.

Nicollin claimed Villa, both Milan clubs and Galatasaray all wanted Belhanda but the Express & Star understands the £12million-rated playmaker was never discussed by the claret and blues.

Can't say I'm surprised, never believed the story.

Nothing in that article to suggest we have not bid. More paper talk.

Mat K was saying similar last week.  I think the club are feeding them the info.  Either because we are not interested or to keep our interest on the down low.  Either way I dont think he will end up at Villa.

I think we'd all be suprised if we did manage to sign him but it would be a shame if we werent in for him as he does tick so many boxes for me:

- He's versatile and can play pretty much anywhere in midfield. Would give us a huge amount of tactical flexibility.

- He's creative and scores goals from midfield, something that we lacked last year

- He's the right age ( 23 ) and also has decent club/international experience

- He's already expressed an interest in joining us

- We already have one of his fellow countrymen ( KEA ) at the club who could help him settle

- He's on relatively low wages ( about 15K euros a week according to most sources )

I know £12m is a lot in the current way we are doing things but I don't think its extortianate. The squad is relatively well stocked with numbers now, just need that extra bit of quality.

Edited by Biskitt

Its a good talking point for a few days and whether theres anything to it or not, who knows? I'm more focused on whether Okore signs tbh, but its nice to have the Villa name bandied about all over the place. You never know, one or two might have some foundation in truth.

I think we'd all be suprised if we did manage to sign him but it would be a shame if we werent in for him as he does tick so many boxes for me:

- He's versatile and can play pretty much anywhere in midfield. Would give us a huge amount of tactical flexibility.

- He's creative and scores goals from midfield, something that we lacked last year

- He's the right age ( 23 ) and also has decent club/international experience

- He's already expressed an interest in joining us

- We already have one of his fellow countrymen ( KEA ) at the club who could help him settle

- He's on relatively low wages ( about 15K euros a week according to most sources )

I know £12m is a lot in the current way we are doing things but I don't think its extortianate. The squad is relatively well stocked with numbers now, just need that extra bit of quality.

£12m as a marquee signing is still some way off say, the top 6 clubs in the league. You have the likes of Norwich splashing about £9m on Van Wolfswinkel.

Again, I wouldn't expect us to sign several players for this price but if there is somebody out there who meets the criteria of Lambert's philosophy (as Biskett has pointed out) who is extremely talented and willing to come to us, then I fully expect Lambert to be backed.

I'll wait until he hear further news from somebody within our club or within Montpellier's until I rule this out.