Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

So, you are saying Lambert would make the same choices as MON? Lambert has the same scouting network, would waste money and does not deserve backing? 

You don't trust him?

Because if PL wanted a player, I would back him 100% - if he wanted Kiyo, I would back him at the £10m estimated price.

He is not MON.

That isn't what your original post said at all. Your original post claimed that teams like Cardiff and Southampton are spending £12m on players and therefore next season they'll do better than us and will be sniffing around Westwood and Lowton and we'd do well to keep them. I'm saying that spending lots of money doesn't by itself guarantee success, and can indeed even be unhelpful in the long run (as our recent history suggests). I really don't believe that the fact we're not buying expensive players means we're going to be losing our good players to other mid-table teams any time soon.

Whether Lambert gets backed is a different question. For the record, yes, I think Lambert would do well if given a big pot of money. However with the club in the current state it is in I can understand why the management may not want to do so, and the fact he is able to buy good quality players cheaply is probably a major factor in why he got the job in the first place.

You were being overly dramatic to illustrate your point, essentially. I do partially agree with the point you were making, but not the logic you were using to justify it.

EDIT - removed the massive multi-quote.

Edited by Panto_Villan

It would be surprising if we signed someone tomorrow considering there is no speculation the day before but not impossible I suppose.

Because we've done all our previous dealings in the press?

It would be surprising if we signed someone tomorrow considering there is no speculation the day before but not impossible I suppose.

Of course not but we have always known at least a day or two before that something was up before the deal went through. 

Of course not but we have always known at least a day or two before that something was up before the deal went through.

Sylla was out the blue, as was bacuna, the press only got wind on the day they signed.

id put money on us signing 1 player tomorrow.

Sylla was out the blue, as was bacuna, the press only got wind on the day they signed.

id put money on us signing 1 player tomorrow.

I wasn't really referring to the press. There is always someone on twitter or the message board who leaks something the day before the transfer is finalised. 

Anyway, only one day to go, I guess we will find out tomorrow if there are any late gifts for us.