Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Anyone else heard the Kagawa on loan rumours? With Fellaini coming in (supposedly) he has asked to be loaned out to play first team football in a World Cup year.

When you think about it, it sort of seems plausible. What's his wage though?

he's good enough to join pretty much anyone he wants, i'd guess Dortmund will be favourites, we wouldn't get a sniff

• Like 1

I think the 'family club' aspect is something that is constantly missed. It's mentioned in every interview and players seem to be happy here and want to stay and play for Aston villa.

Why would Lowton and Westwood (who have repeatedly said how happy they are) move to Cardiff/Southampton because they spent a bit more on supposedly better players? Let's see how this season goes before criticising. 4m for okore or 9 or 12 for caulker or lovren?

And we are not the new Wigan. Wind your bloody neck in with ridiculous comments like that.

• Like 1

One thing I really want to happen is for Lambert to get a new contract in place by Christmas. I'd hate for us to have to start building again from scratch.

Agree. This is very very important.

If we can do something to keep the key players too - Guzan (no issues here), Okore (at least 2 seasons, so ok so far), but we also need to keep Lowton, Westwood and Benteke before they start thinking of competing higher up the table.

It's funny because although I understand people wanting some more expensive signings or signings that will bring some 'real quality' as such, the players you list totals to around £10m in transfer fees.

Guzan - Free

Okore - £3m

Lowton - Less than £1m

Westwood - Less than £1m

Benteke - Around £5.5m

Of course I don't want us to start from scratch again, having to blood players like we have with Lowton for example, but it goes to show that we've got some quality within our side and it has cost us pennies when compared to other clubs.

Which is great and positive. I just REALLY want to have a consistent side and manager, stop selling the gems and actually get the players to stay together. If we can keep this lot together for at least another two yeas, we will win trophies.

Otherwise it's a case of constant rebuilding.

If we can do this, I have no issue selling them in 2 years as I believe we will have the ability to attract even better players here after that.

The stuff about Kagawa is bullshit, obviously. He has played in the Confederations Cup and then played for Japan again, lacked pre-season and is generally not up to speed. Kagawa is a much better player than Fellaini as well, and why would Man U loan him out? His first season was dubbed up and down, but he finished with 6 goals and 4 assists in 1300 minutes. Including a hat-trick against Norwich, not many midfielders score hat-tricks. It's not like United are filled with attacking power in the middle, so this one is just made-up media hogwash. People seem to fall for it though.

• Like 1

I think the 'family club' aspect is something that is constantly missed. It's mentioned in every interview and players seem to be happy here and want to stay and play for Aston villa.

Why would Lowton and Westwood (who have repeatedly said how happy they are) move to Cardiff/Southampton because they spent a bit more on supposedly better players? Let's see how this season goes before criticising. 4m for okore or 9 or 12 for caulker or lovren?

And we are not the new Wigan. Wind your bloody neck in with ridiculous comments like that.

Great point Stefan. Didn't Lowton say he only ever wants to play for Villa and he owes everything to Lambert? Something along those lines anyway.

Even the guys we've signed this Summer seem to have settled quickly.

We've seen Gabby posting videos of him and Bowery on holiday the other day, imagine how he must've felt being given the chance to step up to the Premier League but also having to move to a new city with no friends or family around him. As much as he would've been over the moon with such an opportunity I'm sure Bowery would've been cacking his pants. I know we're in England and nowhere is too far away but it's great to see the players embracing each other, getting to know each other and in turn fighting for the club and each other on the pitch. 

As much as I love to see us win, it is nice to know we support a club with such an identity. 

The stuff about Kagawa is bullshit, obviously. He has played in the Confederations Cup and then played for Japan again, lacked pre-season and is generally not up to speed. Kagawa is a much better player than Fellaini as well, and why would Man U loan him out? His first season was dubbed up and down, but he finished with 6 goals and 4 assists in 1300 minutes. Including a hat-trick against Norwich, not many midfielders score hat-tricks. It's not like United are filled with attacking power in the middle, so this one is just made-up media hogwash. People seem to fall for it though.

It's interesting to think about. And what fun is a transfer deadline without speculation?

I don't think it's as clean cut as you say anyway. Supposedly Moyes doesn't rate him and as I said, he's apparently requested to be loaned out.

I didn't say they would finish above us - but it is not unlikely. The point is, they are willing to go out and spend the £10m/£12m on a player - if they want one of ours, they will bid and it wouldn't be unlikely for them to move to a team that is aiming to finish as high as they can in the football table, instead of the accounts table.

And then three years later those teams will be managed by Alex McLeish and fighting relegation, wishing their spending hadn't been completely unsustainable without Champions League football.

Guesswork.

So is everything you are talking about

Big difference from you suggesting teams are spending unsustainable money (no proof), to be then managed by McLeish, than me saying we need to be ambitious to keep our own players.

Idiot.

I haven't said that? I'm saying you talking like lowts and ash leaving for Cardiff or saints is a dead cert is guesswork. Tekkers stayed and even though he is the exception everything points to Lambert keeping everyone and building something.

Insert childish name calling here

Edited by villan_007

For me the main thing that is missing in this team is a bit of composure on the ball, especially against the teams in the top half.

I think we have players with the right skill sets and the potential, but too often we just fall apart in midfield in certain situations, no-one is able to just keep possession long enough to pick out a decent forward ball - unless we are playing kick and rush on the break. Often we panic and give the ball away very easily and then end up spending large spells of the game defending like headless chickens - getting the ball back - then giving it straight back to the opposition.

We have the same issue with free kicks and set pieces, we just lack that little bit of quality. And yes if we had that it would make a hell of a difference - but we probably already have the players that can do it, maybe Tonev or Helenius or Gardener or Grealish, even Delph.

But it would be great to have a ready made player capable of doing that. If we don't sign one we just have to be patient with the players we have.

I apologise V007. I can see what you think I am saying, but let me try again.

I do not think they will sign our players, but they are showing ambition which (as has been seen) attracts footballers.

Secondly, we have been told time and time again that Lambert will be backed if he wants a player. Now we have been told "no chance of a signing over a certain value" and we will only sign one if the "money is right"

Now, buying a decent little bargain is good. But if Lambert likes a player, why are we questioning this? Has he not shown time and time again he can pick a player? So why on earth would the club penny pinch and stop Paul bringing in somebody who is his first choice?

That is not ambition on the pitch, that is ambition for the books.

Can you see what I am saying? The club has to back Lambert.

Edited by dodgyknees

I didn't say they would finish above us - but it is not unlikely. The point is, they are willing to go out and spend the £10m/£12m on a player - if they want one of ours, they will bid and it wouldn't be unlikely for them to move to a team that is aiming to finish as high as they can in the football table, instead of the accounts table.

And then three years later those teams will be managed by Alex McLeish and fighting relegation, wishing their spending hadn't been completely unsustainable without Champions League football.

Guesswork.

The point I was making is that we were in that position five years ago and it ended rather badly for us, and we're only just picking ourselves up out of that mess. Saying "why can't we just spend some big money on a player for once?!" is both forgetting the big money we've spent on players in the last three years (i.e. Darren Bent) and also forgetting what happened to us after MON left.

And in terms of unsustainable money - if teams are going to be able to pick the best players out of teams that are in relatively similar league positions to their own (and that seems to be what you were worried about here) then they'll have to be willing to pay well over the odds for them, as the player is going to need a reason to leave and the selling club is going to need a reason to cash in. If they're doing that, they're almost certainly spending money unsustainably.

We're always going to lose players to the really big teams but just assuming we're going to have mid-table teams nicking our players is a bit much otherwise, imo.

Guesswork.

The point I was making is that we were in that position five years ago and it ended rather badly for us, and we're only just picking ourselves up out of that mess. Saying "why can't we just spend some big money on a player for once?!" is both forgetting the big money we've spent on players in the last three years (i.e. Darren Bent) and also forgetting what happened to us after MON left.

So, you are saying Lambert would make the same choices as MON? Lambert has the same scouting network, would waste money and does not deserve backing? 

You don't trust him?

Because if PL wanted a player, I would back him 100% - if he wanted Kiyo, I would back him at the £10m estimated price.

He is not MON.

I will admit as I did the other day that from what we have spent this Summer, I would be a bit worried if Lambert wasn't backed if he wanted another signing. If Kiyotake was around £10m as rumoured and we couldn't afford him then that is something to question, but I guess we need to wait until the window closes.

Still very positive about this window, the majority of us saw issues with our defence, specifically in the middle and on the left. We bought a new left back who has gone straight into the first team and also Okore who I and many others rate highly.

I will admit as I did the other day that from what we have spent this Summer, I would be a bit worried if Lambert wasn't backed if he wanted another signing. If Kiyotake was around £10m as rumoured and we couldn't afford him then that is something to question, but I guess we need to wait until the window closes.

Still very positive about this window, the majority of us saw issues with our defence, specifically in the middle and on the left. We bought a new left back who has gone straight into the first team and also Okore who I and many others rate highly.

Will be sat watching SSN Monday night I guess!

• Like 1

not sure if avlife has a source or not, but with what pete colley said and our previous tendencies over the last couple of years i think he might be right.

personally i dont think well see anyone new in this window, and if we do i doubt it will be someone that gives an instant impact on the team.