Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

I like the look of Antonie Greizmann at Real Soceidad.

Scores fairly regularly and can drop deep and link up with the midfield.

Unlike my Diego suggestion, I doubt he's on 100k a week due to the financial situation at most la liga clubs. Would cost a bit more than Michu though and La Real have qualified for the champions league so might not want to leave yet.

No chance. Sociedad are in the CL and Greizmann is one of their best players.

Honestly couldn't care how much we spend as long as it's spent on the right players that improve the team.

At the moment I'm 100% with you.

But how long will you be happy with that? Surely there has to come a point where we up the level of investment. Now that doesn't mean going down the MoN route of signings before anyone brings it up.

I don't believe there is a set level of investment in place. Obviously there are limits but as I've explained before I don't think it's a case of Randy saying to Lambert "here's £10m for you to spend on players plus whatever you can make from sales".

Lambert would have to know how much he was limited to before he starts, how could he plan his targets otherwise? 

Or Lambert gives a list of players in order of importance to Faulkner, and Faulkner sorts out the transfers from there. Then if the board decide a players is too expensive or they have spent too much, they tell Lambert, at which point I'd imagine Lambert would stress how important certain players would be or he accepts that there would be no more signings. I would be very surprised if Lambert was given a set budget, I'd be surprised if many managers were given a set budget.

• Like 1

Honestly couldn't care how much we spend as long as it's spent on the right players that improve the team.

But how long will you be happy with that? Surely there has to come a point where we up the level of investment. Now that doesn't mean going down the MoN route of signings before anyone brings it up.

I don't believe there is a set level of investment in place. Obviously there are limits but as I've explained before I don't think it's a case of Randy saying to Lambert "here's £10m for you to spend on players plus whatever you can make from sales".

Of course there's a set level. Ridiculous to think the manager has no limit to work to.

It's why we only signed Sylla and Dawkins on loan when we were desperate last jan.

• Like 1

Spurs bought wisely when we bought poorly. We were head to head a few years ago...look at them now, spunking £30million on various players.

Be interesting to see what we do when we eventually sell a couple of our players for big money.

Will that money be used to really push on or will the manager be limited with how much he gets?

That's the real test for our owner.

Of course there's a set level. Ridiculous to think the manager has no limit to work to.

It's why we only signed Sylla and Dawkins on loan when we were desperate last jan.

I never actually said he had no limit. In fact if you look carefully you'll see that I said "obviously there are limits". I just don't believe these limits are as rigid as some think.

How do you know? Maybe Lambert and Randy felt there wasn't good value in the market? In fact, hasn't Lambert already come out saying he doesn't like doing business in January?

I never actually said he had no limit. In fact if you look carefully you'll see that I said "obviously there are limits". I just don't believe these limits are as rigid as some think.

How do you know? Maybe Lambert and Randy felt there wasn't good value in the market? In fact, hasn't Lambert already come out saying he doesn't like doing business in January?

The point is we obviously have set limits in terms of how much money we can spend. Not a massive issue right now but the attitude will have to change in the future.

The point is we obviously have set limits in terms of how much money we can spend. Not a massive issue right now but the attitude will have to change in the future.

Which is what I said earlier (once again, read my earlier post). Unlike others though I'm not jumping to conclusions on what that limit is or how rigid it is.

linked to 22-year-old Porto CB Abdoulaye Ba in the Daily Mail for a loan. apparently battling it out with Southampton. file under nonsense. he might be very good and I can understand why Southampton want him but we won't want a loan signing when we have two of our own prospects Clark and Baker to develop, and they also look very good. 

Edited by Con

With Eriksen going to Spurs maybe we should make a move for Siggurdsen.

With Spurs signing a million midfielders Sigurdsson and Holtby should be availible?

I was thinking of Holtby as well. But his contract runs to 2018, so his price will be quite inflated.

I believe that is exactly how it is. 

• Like 1

Spurs bought wisely when we bought poorly. We were head to head a few years ago...look at them now, spunking £30million on various players.

Be interesting to see what we do when we eventually sell a couple of our players for big money.

Will that money be used to really push on or will the manager be limited with how much he gets?

well, if the big money player was a player that Lambert bought for peanuts, I'd reckon the profit would go back into the squad. Lerner has bankrolled us for ages so now that we are getting back on an even keel I very much doubt he'll be snaffling money up generated by the manager to build his squad, after he has built it for a fraction of what the owners previous managers had in terms of wages and transfers. 

if that doesn't happen then Lambert will be off sharpish, I just don't think Lerner is that stupid.

To be fair any money we have made from sales previously has been reinvested under Randy so I think he has already passed that test. What we have stopped doing is having massive net spend and an unsustainable wage bill. I'm pretty sure Lambert and Lerner are on the same wavelength with the transfer strategy and they will get in who they need that fits the way they want to rebuild the club.

I like the look of Antonie Greizmann at Real Soceidad.

Scores fairly regularly and can drop deep and link up with the midfield.

Unlike my Diego suggestion, I doubt he's on 100k a week due to the financial situation at most la liga clubs. Would cost a bit more than Michu though and La Real have qualified for the champions league so might not want to leave yet.

this is nearly as far fetched as the guy who thought we could get Draxler for 7 million :o

So according to Howard, PF again reiterated that we hope to bring in one more before Monday and quote 'it is something we have been working on for a while'.

Also he said that the player is not a 'squad filler'.

• Like 2