Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Regarding departures was hoping we would hear something on Ireland etc.. Bent i'm not too worried about Bent at the moment as we know Fulham are after him and Crystal Palace want him (albeit on loan i'd prefer to sell tbh)

There has nothing on Ireland at all.. Bannan too gone quiet, hope clubs come in for these before the end of the window.

I really can't see anyone coming in for Ireland. I don't think he would be an asset to any club in the Premier League, even if he was on sensible wages, let alone the crazy sum he is actually on. No one in the Championship could afford him (bar maybe QPR and even 'arry isn't that stupid), which only leaves a move abroad. Again, where would he add enough to be worth £50-£60k a week? I don't think there is a club on the planet that 1) can pay those wages and 2) he would be an asset to.

We're stuck with Ireland until his contract is up. Our best hope is to get him out on loan with the other club picking up maybe 25% of his wages.

• Like 1

Regarding departures was hoping we would hear something on Ireland etc.. Bent i'm not too worried about Bent at the moment as we know Fulham are after him and Crystal Palace want him (albeit on loan i'd prefer to sell tbh)

There has nothing on Ireland at all.. Bannan too gone quiet, hope clubs come in for these before the end of the window.

I really can't see anyone coming in for Ireland. I don't think he would be an asset to any club in the Premier League, even if he was on sensible wages, let alone the crazy sum he is actually on. No one in the Championship could afford him (bar maybe QPR and even 'arry isn't that stupid), which only leaves a move abroad. Again, where would he add enough to be worth £50-£60k a week? I don't think there is a club on the planet that 1) can pay those wages and 2) he would be an asset to.

We're stuck with Ireland until his contract is up. Our best hope is to get him out on loan with the other club picking up maybe 25% of his wages.

And that would be 20k a week.  Blackburn are trying to out Pederssen and he is on 20k a week.  No Championship club will pay that either.

There is more money in football now than there ever has been, yet 90% of clubs are in serious debt.  Its like everything in this world, everything is going to the top 2%.

Over the past 5 years clubs have been wreckless with their cash including us.  This is why we are going to find it very hard to get shot of these hanger ons.  Clubs are all starting to wake up to the crazy wages which have been paid in the past. 

• Like 1

Ireland needs to be loaned out, it's our only chance of making him more attractive to a buyer and limit the damage his wages are doing to us, plus the problem of him being around the squad.

He only has 1 year left so if he's loaned out this season we won't see him back here again. I'm not sure we can even find someone to loan him though. 

A loan will be hard. Newcastle doesn't give him the best reference. On loan, caught breaking curfews, injured next. I'm trying to remember if he even made it on the pitch for them-maybe once?

I think Sparky at Stoke is the only hope- someone who might still have a shred of belief in Ireland.

So frustrating, the technical skills are there. I saw Ireland play in a friendly in Chicago and he had this one pass that was magical and split the entire field open but didn't see it again and he couldn't be arsed to do anything else.

A loan will be hard. Newcastle doesn't give him the best reference. On loan, caught breaking curfews, injured next. I'm trying to remember if he even made it on the pitch for them-maybe once?

I think Sparky at Stoke is the only hope- someone who might still have a shred of belief in Ireland.

So frustrating, the technical skills are there. I saw Ireland play in a friendly in Chicago and he had this one pass that was magical and split the entire field open but didn't see it again and he couldn't be arsed to do anything else.

Middle East or Russia is probably the only hope for Ireland. The glimpses of his talent were so fleeting however that his profile is not high enough for any of those clubs to pick up him....

MLS maybe? Would probably mean us giving him a big cheque to bugger off.

Edited by El-Reacho

I would be surprised if anyone has even enquired about Ireland. He's done very little of note since 2009, has a supposed questionable attitude, and is on ridiculous wages when you consider his effectiveness. Sadly, I don't think anyone will take him off us, even if we let him go on a free

You can say that again

• Like 4

If we all were in Ireland's position what would you do? Walk out due to common decency with a pay off lower than he'd earn just sitting on his backside? Take a massive wage cut to go and play somewhere else or, see out a contract the like of which he will never see again just sitting on his arse?

The blame lies fair and squarely with the club for agreeing to put him on such a contract in the first place. 

I disagree.  If I was in Ireland's position with his ability, I'd like to think I'd have applied myself to my job in such a way that I'd still be useful and wanted by my current employer and that I'd be going some way towards earning the wage I'm getting rather than skulking around just picking up a wage.  To blame the club for a player that doesn't give a crap any more is just wrong.

• Like 4

I dont blame Ireland really, we gave him the ridiculous deal but we also havent treated well either in fairness. Houllier singled him out rightly or wrognly along with Warnock when he walked in the door and doubt he would have felt too motivated after that

In a way I can't blame Ireland, he is on a contract and is entitled to it. Having said that I would never say he has been treated badly. He has had numerous chances here or on loan to stake a claim for his position and he hasn't taken any of them. His attitude to his career is ridiculous. I'm not surprised that no one wants to buy him. Then again, it will be hard not to get anything but low offers for any of the unwanted players as its public knowledge that we don't want them and they are training with the youth team.

Ireland has been treated no worse than he deserves

He's earned his exile in the reserves

Always flattering to deceive

Why, I think he once even tried a hair weave

An odd good pass here, then one there

Still he is the crisp bag caught by the air

Is he a conjuror with the ball?

"Sure I am, and the hardest trainer of them all!"

Ah, but no manager wants him so all he can do for fun

Is see out his last year like Fat Man Dunn

• Like 2

If he has any sort of self worth he'd move jobs to somewhere where he is contributing something. He might have to take a pay cut to move this year but he would be setting himself up for better deals down the road so he wouldn't even lose out too badly financially in the long run. 

I recon you would feel pretty shit about yourself if you are contributing nothing and just coasting along, no matter how much money is in your bank account. He might be happy to lap it up for a little while longer but will look back when he is in his 30s with massive regret i'd say.  

If we all were in Ireland's position what would you do? Walk out due to common decency with a pay off lower than he'd earn just sitting on his backside? Take a massive wage cut to go and play somewhere else or, see out a contract the like of which he will never see again just sitting on his arse?

The blame lies fair and squarely with the club for agreeing to put him on such a contract in the first place. 

I disagree.  If I was in Ireland's position with his ability, I'd like to think I'd have applied myself to my job in such a way that I'd still be useful and wanted by my current employer and that I'd be going some way towards earning the wage I'm getting rather than skulking around just picking up a wage.  To blame the club for a player that doesn't give a crap any more is just wrong.

I can see your point alright BOF but did he really 'give a crap' when he first signed for us? Even taking hindsight into consideration surely someone from the club should have done their homework on the mentality side of the player before handing out such a luxurious contract to him.

Edited by Morpheus

I can see your point alright BOF but did he really 'give a crap' when he first signed for us? Even taking hindsight into consideration surely someone from the club should have done their homework on the mentality side of the player before handing out such a luxurious contract to him.

I literally couldn't stop myself.

In lots of cases fans recognise technical ability and forget about application.

There have been a fair few examples like Ireland's over the years...where the odd bit of magical improvisation has clouded the judgement.

Ron Saunders didn't advocate 110 % work rate for nothing.

Ps sorry didn't read properly this was transfer thread.

Edited by TRO

TrentVilla - Transfers out of the club?:

Ireland - complete waste of space and talent, and the worst kind of character: totally without integrity, mercenary etc most of us would give our right arm for the opportunity of a 'sporting life' alone, regardless of the levels of obscene money. It's not the clubs fault it's footballs fault.

He is everything we are no longer about and I can't wait to get rid of his bad vibe, his sort make me sick.