Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

I am also on the side of Villa first! I support England when we play, or course, but it is all crap at the moment. I want to see Villa winning games, and if that means signing foreign players only in order to do that, then so be it! Many of the English players think they have made it far to young and turn into arrogant tossers. Also the fact that people associated with the FA are so up the clubs that make up the media darlings arses pisses me off! Aghhhhhhh!!!!

Edited by Tayls

Indeed, the proof will be in the pudding.

I have some faith that Helenius, Okore and perhaps even Luna could be every bit as valuable as some of the more expensive signings from the past (Heskey, Cuellar and Warnock come to mind). Bucana and Tonev will have to grow into the side, but there's still time to buy an attacking midfielder of some quality.

I love how 'expensive' apparently means proven quality which is absolute nonsense as proven by last season!

People are obviously blinkered by money and how much something costs.

I really think we have spread to thinly this summer - I think we would have been better with 2 or 3 really good players, rather than 6 'iffy' ones. We needed impact at first 11 - not extra fringe players.

This!

Yeah totally agree. Other then okore and maybe luna, are any of these signings going to be regular first teamers?!? No.

What are you doing on VT paul?

Edited by StefanAVFC

Indeed, the proof will be in the pudding.

I have some faith that Helenius, Okore and perhaps even Luna could be every bit as valuable as some of the more expensive signings from the past (Heskey, Cuellar and Warnock come to mind). Bucana and Tonev will have to grow into the side, but there's still time to buy an attacking midfielder of some quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNXO0qdxJkg

Edited by sne

I love how 'expensive' apparently means proven quality which is absolute nonsense as proven by last season!

I really think we have spread to thinly this summer - I think we would have been better with 2 or 3 really good players, rather than 6 'iffy' ones. We needed impact at first 11 - not extra fringe players.

This!

Yeah totally agree. Other then okore and maybe luna, are any of these signings going to be regular first teamers?!? No.

Just trying to kill off some time until I get to go home at half 4, yourself?

• Like 1

This!

Helenius could.

Wish we'd go in for Stefan Johansen. Would be cheap and worth a punt in my opinion.
But we're rather well set in the midfield department, and he's playing in a inferior league, so proparly not going to happen.
But might prove to be good value for the money.

This!

Yeah, Lamberts most expensive signing has been an unmitigated disaster hasn't he ?

We didn't need fringe players - we need players capable of improving the first 11 - switch to the arsenal match thread of the 6 signings most people are only putting on or two in the first 11

Wish we'd go in for Stefan Johansen. Would be cheap and worth a punt in my opinion.

But we're rather well set in the midfield department, and he's playing in a inferior league, so proparly not going to happen.

But might prove to be good value for the money.

He would certainly join us, but he would demand a place in the team pretty quick. Could work out though, can become a really good player.

Yeah, Lamberts most expensive signing has been an unmitigated disaster hasn't he ?

We didn't need fringe players - we need players capable of improving the first 11 - switch to the arsenal match thread of the 6 signings most people are only putting on or two in the first 11

And you have absolutely no idea how well these new players will perform over the coming season.

How do you know they're "iffy"? Going by your definition cheap players from lower leagues like Lowton and Westwood would also have been "iffy" last summer yet they were anything but.

Agreed. Really gets on my nerves. I can kind of understand this rubbish last season but you'd think after getting quality players like Westwood and Lowton for peanuts people would stop with this "money = quality" bullshit. It's like people have forgotten all those mediocre players we bought for big money under O'Neill and to a lesser extent McLeish.

I've said it once and I'll say it again - if the players we bought this summer were bought for big money people wouldn't have formed negative opinions about these players already. We could get Messi for a million and people would moan about it because he's not "big money".

Edited by Mantis

yet 3 out of his 4 cheapest have been immense for us as well.

Nobody said expensive players are a disaster, so I feel you've missed the point.

This!

Did Benteke start the game at Swansea or Westwood? Only players who will start are where there is a neccesity for them to start. So don't really think you can use that on the basis of judging the signings, I am judging it by we will actually have competition for places and player will know he has to perform or he will be out.

Edited by SikhInTrinity
  • Like 1

This!

Did Benteke start the game at Swansea or Westwood? Only players who will start are where there is a neccesity for them to start. So don't really think you can use that on the basis of judging the signings, I am judging it by we will actually have competition for places and player will know he has to perform he will be out.

I am basing it on what I have seen pre season - 'football matches' - never precise as players can\will improve as they settle in - but gotta say im not thinking 'can't wait to see XXX next season, he looks great'

Competetion for places is great - but ideally we should be looking for better than what we have in the first 11. He seems to have signed improvements in Okore over Clarke - Luna v Bennett maybe , but the others wouldn't get in my first 11

Exactly, PL isn't stupid to throw all of them in because if we fail, we will blame his signings. We seen it with Tonev against Malaga, you get the comments where they've judged them. I'll be honest, I haven't seen or even heard of some of the signings PL has made. What constantly gets thrown is, this he has to be proven? No he has to be a good footballer for me. I have seen enough proven talents down at VP, and a few of them are currently sitting in our bomb squad.

I don't give a flying fart about the England team, but in a perfect world, I'd love the Villa team to consist entirely of Brummies (Villa supporters, obviously).

Given that we're not in my perfect world, I'll settle for the best players we can get - wherever  they come from.

This!

Did Benteke start the game at Swansea or Westwood? Only players who will start are where there is a neccesity for them to start. So don't really think you can use that on the basis of judging the signings, I am judging it by we will actually have competition for places and player will know he has to perform he will be out.

I am basing it on what I have seen pre season - 'football matches' - never precise as players can\will improve as they settle in - but gotta say im not thinking 'can't wait to see XXX next season, he looks great'

Competetion for places is great - but ideally we should be looking for better than what we have in the first 11. He seems to have signed improvements in Okore over Clarke - Luna v Bennett maybe , but the others wouldn't get in my first 11

Yes football matches that mean sod all, where players are subbed off after 60mins. PL made a point of when signing Benteke, he scouted him in a European game, he said quite frankly he wasn't very good, but he followed his gut instinct on the player. Now just think if we watched that game, we'd have called him Emile Heskey's brother or something. Thats why we are fans and he is the manager.

Pre-season doesn't really mean much though. KEA looked great last pre-season.

Can't we at least wait until the actual season gets underway before slagging players as "iffy" just because they're not big names signed for big money?