Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

We need our defence to score 10 goals, our midfield to score 15 and our forward three to net 30 goals. That will see us ok!

Defence 5, midfield 5-10 and forwards 40-45 is more realistic. We do have Benteke after all. 

Edited by PatrickCousens

We need our defence to score 10 goals, our midfield to score 15 and our forward three to net 30 goals. That will see us ok!

If our forward three I'm their various combinations only net 30 goals I'll be rather disappointed. As above, 40 should be the target.

15 from elsewhere and we'll see more progression.

Defence 5, midfield 5-10 and forwards 40-45 is more realistic. We do have Benteke after all.

Really you'd want one midfielder getting between 5 and 10, the elusive attacking midfielder I suppose.

• Like 1

Really you'd want one midfielder getting between 5 and 10, the elusive attacking midfielder I suppose.

I don't think it matters a great deal so long as the goals come from somewhere. Bearing in mind how poor our defence is, I think we'd need to hit 60 goals to get top half. It's doable. Our forwards got 38 between them last season, I think 45 is achievable, with another 15 or so coming from elsewhere.

If our forward three I'm their various combinations only net 30 goals I'll be rather disappointed. As above, 40 should be the target.

15 from elsewhere and we'll see more progression.

Agree with this , benteke should be around 20 and gabby and Weimann at least 10 goals each - get 15 from elsewhere and we will be fine ( as long as we tighten the defence a bit).

our hopes to an extent rely on Luna and Okore turning into good premiership players. We cant succeed with last seasons defence disasters.

I think our hopes should be for progress really and progress would be Okore and Luna playing better than the likes of Chris Herd, Eric Lichaj and Enda Stevens last season. These three were our back up defenders last year who ended up starting a scary amount of games. We were bloody lucky to have Lowton play 38 games to be honest!

Okore and Luna provide us options to our other established choices and are quite likely to challenge last seasons first choice defenders for their spots in the squad. Those players offer quite a significant upgrade in themselves whilst also considering the experience last seasons defence, Baker, Bennett and Lowton as well as Vlaar (although more experienced, he had never played in the league) gained by staying up.

Add other factors such as a full preseason, training together and all round greater confidence and morale generated by a quality player like Benteke staying, on top of added competition for places improving performances will I think result in us being great deal more solid at the back than we were last season.

• Like 2

In all competitions the front three got 40+ last season didnt they? Benteke 23, Agbonlahor 12 and Weimann 12 I thought??

I'd be disappointed if any of them were unable to make an improvement to be honest.

For me our strongest team would be Benteke through the middle with Weimann in the number 10 role just behind, then Agbonlahor left and Tonev/N'Zogbia right. Sylla and Westwood in midfield.

From that point of view maybe a CAM isn't needed?

I guess realistically Lambert is planning on Benteke up top, Agbonlahor left and Weimann right again, and is looking to an improvement on the midfield three.

In all competitions the front three got 40+ last season didnt they? Benteke 23, Agbonlahor 12 and Weimann 12 I thought??

I'd be disappointed if any of them were unable to make an improvement to be honest.

For me our strongest team would be Benteke through the middle with Weimann in the number 10 role just behind, then Agbonlahor left and Tonev/N'Zogbia right. Sylla and Westwood in midfield.

From that point of view maybe a CAM isn't needed?

I guess realistically Lambert is planning on Benteke up top, Agbonlahor left and Weimann right again, and is looking to an improvement on the midfield three.

Whilst I agree with that, those players can not play every game so we need to be able to mix it up otherwise we will get found out. We need other options and an AM would give us that.

Almost any striker would do well to better Benteke's output last year, but I think he's capable of at least matching it. Would expect Gabby to stay in the same region, just seems to be about what his output is when he's having a solid year. Andi is the one I really hope to see step it up. Don't know if it'll happen if he stays stuck out wide, though.

For me Weimann's main strengths are his finishing and his link up play. Playing him out wide weakens him a bit.

Gabby as well is a real thorn in the opposition (on form) playing through the middle. He hasn't got the skill or creativity for the wing. Lambert settled on that 433 last season I think because it allowed all 3 of those guys, our main threats, to be playing.

I agree we will need to mix it up next season and I think we may see a bit of a shift towards the new signings Tonev or Bacuna playing out wide, and one of the strikers playing more centrally behind Benteke.

I think Westwood Sylla and Delph compliment each other reasonably well but we still haven't got that strong player who can go past people and make things happen in the middle of the park.

Its always been more of a 4-3-2-1 than a 4-3-3, meaning that Weimann and Gabby play as more support strikers, than wingers.

or a narrow 4-3-3 with the width coming from the full backs, either way you describe it gabby and weimann aren't wingers.

• Like 1

Last season was our second lowest goals scored since the 2006-07 season (McLeish's season was the worst one).

The lack of goals from midfield is to blame i'd say. 

wasnt really necessary to add that, didnt take a genius to guess it ;)

Almost any striker would do well to better Benteke's output last year, but I think he's capable of at least matching it. Would expect Gabby to stay in the same region, just seems to be about what his output is when he's having a solid year. Andi is the one I really hope to see step it up. Don't know if it'll happen if he stays stuck out wide, though.

throw in maybe 5 goals for Helenius and hoping 5-8 goals from midfield as think Tonev and Bacuna will add a goalscoring threat from there.

though maybe wrong but wasnt KEA only midfielder to score last season in league unless Zog counts as midfield

Yeah, Gabby's not a winger - in the sense of 'Get to the byline and whip a cross in'.

He plays more like Ray Graydon used to - beat the full back for pace, and cut inside to have a crack at goal.

• Like 1