Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

I do wonder what plans he has for Albrighton. 

Next up for the bomb squad, I'd imagine.

If you consider the wide position, whether it be in a 442 or a 433, then he would probably be behind any of the following:

Gabby

Weimann

Tonev

Helenius

Bacuna

NZogbia (though perhaps not)

Bowery

... and perhaps even the likes of Grealish and Carruthers.

Sadly, I can't see a future for him at AVFC. I say sadly because he's a Villa fan who clearly cares about the club, but in truth, I don't think he's anywhere near good enough for us.

Edited by Shillzz
  • Like 1

In all competitions the front three got 40+ last season didnt they? Benteke 23, Agbonlahor 12 and Weimann 12 I thought??

I'd be disappointed if any of them were unable to make an improvement to be honest.

Almost any striker would do well to better Benteke's output last year, but I think he's capable of at least matching it. Would expect Gabby to stay in the same region, just seems to be about what his output is when he's having a solid year. Andi is the one I really hope to see step it up. Don't know if it'll happen if he stays stuck out wide, though.

throw in maybe 5 goals for Helenius and hoping 5-8 goals from midfield as think Tonev and Bacuna will add a goalscoring threat from there.

though maybe wrong but wasnt KEA only midfielder to score last season in league unless Zog counts as midfield

Holman got one.

What is encouraging is that we could play any of the main formations, 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2, 3-5-2 etc now and not have to shoehorn people into unnatural positions like Chris Herd at CB *shudders*. Wouldn't surprise me if we even saw us playing a traditional 4-4-2 in some games this season either

• Like 1

Fully expect one or two goals from midfield this season. Bacuna and Tonev both have a shot on them, but I would'nt be at all surprised to see Sylla oen his account.

Still believe theres an AM in the offing though.

Fully expect one or two goals from midfield this season. Bacuna and Tonev both have a shot on them, but I would'nt be at all surprised to see Sylla oen his account.

Was hoping for a few more to be honest!

What is encouraging is that we could play any of the main formations, 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2, 3-5-2 etc now and not have to shoehorn people into unnatural positions like Chris Herd at CB *shudders*. Wouldn't surprise me if we even saw us playing a traditional 4-4-2 in some games this season either

whilst i don't htink Lambert is a fan of 4-4-2, i think you are right, tonev left and albrighton right could fill those positions, helenius/gabby or weimann to partner benteke. I think we'll see more variation of formation this season too. be very interesting how this season pans out after the business we have already concluded. even more so if we do sign another couple.

It's not impossible to get the goal tally some people are expecting but I think this season will be like last. We'll Progressively get better with a few dips. I can't really see us being relegation fodder though which would be an improvement over last year.

whilst i don't htink Lambert is a fan of 4-4-2, i think you are right, tonev left and albrighton right could fill those positions, helenius/gabby or weimann to partner benteke. I think we'll see more variation of formation this season too. be very interesting how this season pans out after the business we have already concluded. even more so if we do sign another couple.
Yeah, I don't think 4-4-2 would be something we'd play regularly but I know lambert did play it on occasions when he was at Norwich when he'd have Morrison and Holt up front, might be something we use when chasing a game ? Bacuna or Albrighton could cover right wing and Tonev or Zog on the left. Edited by Biskitt

Midfielders should be aiming for 4-8 goals a season, depending on how they play I would guess.  Attacking wingers should be after 6+, CMs should be after 3+

Considering their position on the pitch is behind the strikers, 1 midfielder should be given lay-offs from forwards a couple of times a season. 

Last season was slightly disappointing from a CM point of view, hopefully the strikers can keep up their scoring, but if not, then midfielders have to try and add a couple.

Or just given the ball to Lowton and see what happens :D 

While i agree that goals from midfield must be improved i don't really see any big potential for it apart from maybe Tonev.

Still think our downfall and big issue will be the amount of goals we ship in due to our soft midfield and erratic defending

I do wonder what plans he has for Albrighton. 

Next up for the bomb squad, I'd imagine.

I think he'll be given a chance at some point as he had injury problems a lot of last season and I think he could be a Lambert-type player - maybe not in position but in attitude & work-rate.

but certainly this is make or break season for him. maybe needs a loan to get some game time & find form

Edited by switters

Stuff from FC Twente fansite twitter that we've been discussing a player all day with them.

People saying Castaignos on twitter. 

My question is would we really be going for another Striker? 

Edited by KjParton

Stuff from FC Twente fansite twitter that we've been discussing a player all day with them.

Pretty sure that they are saying -"AVFC transfer tweet claims that Villa have been in contact with FC Twente" that's all - They are just sharing what the original poster said.