The Wigan thread

islingtonclaret

I do wish Whelan would **** off. On 5 live at the moment, discussing the compensation package that has been agreed with Everton. He just loves the attention doesn't he?

I Do find it rather ironic that the year he finally fails to keep them up, he **** off rather than stay and repair the damage.

Martinez profile has been built up massively by the media . I guess we'll find out now if there's any substance there.

Personally I think Steve Bruce is a better manager.

Steve Bruce was given money to spend when he was Wigan manager.

Martinez was told he had to sell his best players each season and would only get a fraction of the money to spend on new transfers.

In the last couple of seasons Wigan have made a profit for Whelan and he no longer has to put his own money in like he did with Bruce as manager.

You'd be crazy to go for Bruce over Martinez if you were a football chairman.

• 10 years later...

Issued with a winding up order. Never nice to see. BBC

His Majesty's Revenue & Customs has lodged a winding-up petition against Wigan Athletic over unpaid tax bills, with a hearing date of 26 July.

It follows the English Football League placing the Latics under a transfer embargo last week for breaching league rules on tax payment.

Wigan will begin the League One season after relegation with an eight-point deduction for late payment of salaries.

It also understood money is outstanding from last month's salary payments.

The club has said it is in the process of being sold but one of the interested parties, 21-year-old businessman Sarbjot Johal, failed to gain EFL approval for his proposed purchase of Morecambe earlier this year.

Winding-up petitions can be resolved by payment of debt or by arrangement of a payment plan with the creditor, in this case HMRC itself.

Edited by av1

Another part of a working class English community being eroded. Like so many clubs, Wigan sits at the centre of an important network of social connections. With the club’s demise, all of that is now gone with nothing to replace it.

To the dicks who are allowed to play owner, these clubs are disposable playthings. To the communities, it’s a f**king way of life.  

Come back stronger, Wigan.

Edited by KevinRichardsonsMoustache

And a 21 year old entrepreneur that seemingly has no legitimate funds either will not be the answer to their problems. FFP is all well and good as a theory, but the execution of it doesn't stop clubs like this going bankrupt due to corrupt owners, and doesn't encourage fair competition at the top of the league. The FA are a joke. 

How does this happen? Where you speculate to such an extent that you run out of money entirely and can't pay your staff. What was supposed to happen that made them liquid? They strike gold with a wonderkid, or were they banking on getting into the premier league? Or was it that they just kept spending money and no one said stop. Where were the accountants? I just don't understand how a football club can destroy itself. 

They expected more people to buy shirts or season tickets? Is it that the owners loaned the club money as preferential shareholders and when they decided they had had enough, they took out their investment from the day to day running of the club, and now the club can't pay wages? I'm not sure I understand how a club could agree to that, or how that would even be legal. 

8 hours ago, MrBlack said:

And a 21 year old entrepreneur that seemingly has no legitimate funds either will not be the answer to their problems. FFP is all well and good as a theory, but the execution of it doesn't stop clubs like this going bankrupt due to corrupt owners, and doesn't encourage fair competition at the top of the league. The FA are a joke. 

It’s the football league, not the FA.

It’s got nothing to do with FFP.

The Premier League sits on reserves of over £1bn, they could easily bail them out. With the growing disparities between the leagues, they have a responsibility. The EFL has a major responsibility to clubs and not allowing cowboy owners. But they are both more interested in money. Look how Rick Parry was willing to sell out the footballing pyriamid to help the Sky 6. 

1 hour ago, blandy said:

It’s the football league, not the FA.

It’s got nothing to do with FFP.

But the stories around the intent of FFP when it was introduced (profit and sustainability), were that it will prevent clubs going bust. FIFA rolled it out at Uefa level first, then national governing bodies followed suit with their versions of it. 

Obviously that was never the real intent of the PL's version, and it was more to help protect the bubble at the top, but that's what was sold at the start.

The different versions of it operated throughout the leagues are all supposedly intended to prevent clubs going bankrupt aren't they?

And the FA oversee it all don't they? They're as complicit as the Football League if one of their members folds?

Genuinely interested to know if I'm miles off course with this one.

Also, what @YLN said, the real reason will be some shady dealings by an owner that no longer has the funds.  How want it detected earlier.

So my point around FFP is that if it wants to do what it said, it needs to look at other factors. 

9 hours ago, MrBlack said:

And the FA oversee it all don't they? They're as complicit as the Football League if one of their members folds?

Not as I understand it. EFL rules are administered by the EFL and set by the clubs themselves. They can’t stop clubs going bust or people breaking the rules any more than speed limits prevent people driving too fast. But they have helped reduce the number of clubs going bust. I feel sorry for the fans and staff at Wigan, but ultimately the people running the club are the bad guys rather than the FA or EFL for this one, surely.

11 hours ago, The_Steve said:

The Premier League sits on reserves of over £1bn, they could easily bail them out. With the growing disparities between the leagues, they have a responsibility. The EFL has a major responsibility to clubs and not allowing cowboy owners. But they are both more interested in money. Look how Rick Parry was willing to sell out the footballing pyriamid to help the Sky 6. 

It would set a very dangerous precedent if the PL started bailing out every club every fly by night scumbag rinses.

• Like 1

Â