The Wigan thread

islingtonclaret

Gotta say I agree with Whelan here, much as I dislike him.

I think the ball was in between the 2 of them and they both went hard for it. McManaman got the ball and followed through. It wasn't intentional but it ended up hurting the other player, it happens.

I think you were strongly against my opinion that Nani should never have been red-carded against Real Madrid, forgive me if I am mistaken about that, but your view here kind of signals that your opinion shouldn't be taken seriously. That tackle was outragous and this one is fair game?

I dare to say that if this is not a red card, then there could not exist a red card ever in the game of football. Intentional is not about going Roy Keane on Alf-Inge Haaland or Joey Barton on everyone, that is plain violence - intent is knowing that a person is there and if you tackle like that there is only one outcome. He could have tackled many other ways, blocking the direction of the player or done something to hinder the player, but what he did was just reckless. Tackling is about a split-second judgment call and the best tacklers seldom place themselves in the situation where the ref has to pull out a red card. Steven Gerrard is a serial offender when it comes to sneaking away from red cards, but we all remember the one against Georg Boateng a few years ago. The clip is about 2:13 min into the video:

• 3 weeks later...

Not about the tackle but regarding DW....

He would like a minute silence for maggie thatcher at the weekend... Surely whether you liked or hated the her, it's fairly obvious a minute silence for her would not be respected and would show football fans on a side note..

Also his so called amazing club have had to return 10, 000 tickets for their first ever fa cup semi final!! What a joke!

Not about the tackle but regarding DW....

He would like a minute silence for maggie thatcher at the weekend... Surely whether you liked or hated the her, it's fairly obvious a minute silence for her would not be respected and would show football fans on a side note..

Also his so called amazing club have had to return 10, 000 tickets for their first ever fa cup semi final!! What a joke!

To be fair, his opinions on the tackle and on Thatcher do at least show a certain consistency.  They may fly in the face of all reality and common sense, but they're consistent.

Well done, Dave!

FFS let's not bring all the bile from the Thatcher thread into the football forum. Politics doesn't have any place in football.

That's the point people have been trying to make to Dave Whelan.  It's not getting through.

on the minute silence they are allegedly going to have it at Reading, they play Liverpool and this could get nasty especially with Hillsborough been this time of year

I thought the minute's silence was for Hillsborough, unless I misheard what was on the radio in the background earlier?

on the minute silence they are allegedly going to have it at Reading, they play Liverpool and this could get nasty especially with Hillsborough been this time of year

I thought the minute's silence was for Hillsborough, unless I misheard what was on the radio in the background earlier?

Well with madjeski coming out with the same shite as whelan regarding a minutes silence it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to combine the two.

Should go down well

People need to realise that Whelan doesn't say things that he actually believes. He says things that he thinks will get him in the papers.

I doubt he gives 2 flying **** about Thatcher. He just knows it'll put him in the news.

• Like 1

Â