The Wigan thread

islingtonclaret

His wigan record is pretty shocking really

152 games

38 wins

43 draws

71 defeats

25% win rate.

Yes but he still kept them in the division for many years and won the FA Cup. Great choice for everton

Great? I don't know about great. I think Everton have higher ambitions than that mate. I think he'll do OK there with slightly increased funding and a bigger draw, but I'm absolutely certain he's no Moyes, never will be. 

As for Wigan, I suspect that'll be it from them, Martinez or no Martinez. It's been emotional.

Martinez's ultimate ability as a manager hugely divides opinion, so if he does go to Everton it'll go a long way towards answering the question once and for all.

His wigan record is pretty shocking really

152 games

38 wins

43 draws

71 defeats

25% win rate.

Yes but he still kept them in the division for many years and won the FA Cup. Great choice for everton

I agree, he would be. While the stats show that Wigan lose a lot more than they win, they are bottom of the pecking order as a Club, in that every time, and it is every time, they unearth a player, he’s off. They can’t pay wages to match most of the other clubs in the Prem, they don’t have the crowds or the commercial pull.

Martinez got them playing stylish, attractive football, consistently. They were undone by losing their best defenders and keeper for most of the season.

Like Lambo at Villa, it’s more than just about stats with Martinez. He’s a good manager.

At the end of the day Martinez won more with Wigan than Moyes did with Everton :P 

In all seriousness, the Wigan fans will have had more enjoyment from their team that afternoon a few weeks back than any Everton fan will have had in the last decade.  

Martinez's ultimate ability as a manager hugely divides opinion, so if he does go to Everton it'll go a long way towards answering the question once and for all.

presumably that means anything other than top 6 or 7 deems him a  failure ?

My main criticism of him is how poorly Wigan defended for most of his reign. They'd often play well for large portions of games but would throw away points due to sloppy defending.

The issue was down (in the main) to personnel. Al Habsi, Caldwell, Boyce (etc) all were error prone and not good enough. The situation should have improved in the time that he was at Wigan but never did. We have had the same problem but I would hope that Lambert will sort this out in the next few seasons.

At Everton, he has a ready made back 5 so I think he will do well. I'm not convinced he would have kept us up had he come here 2 years ago.

If he does go to Everton we will finally see if he's a decent manager or not.

i will say this though every season he managed Wigan they were utterly shit for 3 quarters of the season. I doubt a decent run at the end of the season, mainly against teams on the beach will be good enough for Everton, he needs to improve his weaknesses and quickly.

He's the one that started things off at Swansea and Wigan are a very small club so to judge him on a small win percentage is very unfair. I agree that Everton is where we can really judge him now.

At the end of the day Martinez won more with Wigan than Moyes did with Everton :P 

In all seriousness, the Wigan fans will have had more enjoyment from their team that afternoon a few weeks back than any Everton fan will have had in the last decade.

Pretty sure blues fans were saying the same thing to us, with a few explicit words thrown in.

Now look at them....

I like Martinez as he seems a decent guy and Wigan tried playing good football BUT they never once finished over 15th with him. If that was McLeish or Allardyce people would be saying he did a disastrous job.

In them 4 seasons Norwich have finished over them twice, same with Swansea, WBA 3 times even Wolves and Birmingham did on occasions. Which for me says he did an average job and not as great as the hype around him

^^ Agreed Zatman, Paul Jewell and Potato Head both achieved higher finishes than Martinez but in principle I do think he is a very good manager.

He deserves a shot at a bigger club and so long as he keeps finishing below the Villa I'll be happy.

The last three seasons Martinez has been linked with moves away from Wigan.  It will be good to finally have that done and have the hype nailed.

I think he'll struggle for a while to be honest as he has a tough act to follow

The hype these last 3 years about Martinez has really been beyond me, granted he lifted the cup for Wigan a remarkable achievement but one which was extremely lucky given the City that 'turned' up that day.

His performance these last three seasons as their manager has been decent, good even but not remarkable and not worthy of the endless spoke blown up his arse by Dave Whelan (who broke his leg in a cup final you know!)

The beauty of Wigan's football has also been hugely over done in the clamour by the press to kiss his ring at the behest of Whelan (he broke his leg in a cup final you know!).

Some of his cut budget signings have in fairness been impressive but no more so than those in the job before him. While the progress made by Swansea in the last 3 years kind of puts Martinez's achievements into the shade, they even matched him in winning a cup.

I never wanted Martinez here any of the summers we were linked with him and I will be delighted to see him take the Everton job so we can avoid the horrendous will he won't he saga played out in the press by Whelan (who broke a leg in a cup final you know!).

I don't think he will do very well at Everton personally, that is if he gets the job as it doesn't seem the sure thing old big mouth seems to think it is.

As for Wigan, they are **** I think. They will be embarking on a slow slide back to where they came from and where they always belonged without the financial input of you know who.

Steve Bruce did a far better job at Wigan than Martinez.

IMHO he's a poor manager who has just been hyped up by Whelan and the media .

If I was an everton fan id be fuming at the thought of him taking over .

Wigan have got players out of contract, players that some people will want and a very small squad. They've got eight extra league games this season and they're in the UEFA cup. There was a Wigan fan on the radio the other day who reckoned they'd need 14 new players for the season ahead - and he seemed quite serious about it. The Wigan job won't be easy to fill. 

Oh it will be easy to fill alright, there are always people willing to take a job and a quick pay off just look at Blackburn. Filling it with someone capable of doing a decent job with the resources available and in the circumstances you describe now that will be somewhat harder.

Agree I think Martinez would have been better off coming here than going to Everton, he would have had the patience of the Villa fans that PL had due to the McLeish debacle. However replacing Moyes, witha team set up a different way, it'll be ultra difficult if he starts poorly thats for sure.

Agree with Trent. Plus with the parachute payments and the residual PL squad they should be easier (read - not easy) to get promoted with than most in that league. They're still, after all, on the periphery of the (E ;))PL.

I don't think they stand a prayer of returning BOF, they will lose some of their better players and they will struggle to replace them and then you have the issue of the change in style that will come with a new manager. 

Add to that their football and their players aren't suited to that league and throw in the distractions of the second division of the European super league (ssshhh whisper that we aren't supposed to have noticed).

I don't think they've a prayer of coming back up next season and that is before taking into account the other sides down there.

Nope, I just don't see them coming back to the PREMIER LEAGUE any time soon ;)

Â