The Wigan thread

islingtonclaret

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Not as I understand it. EFL rules are administered by the EFL and set by the clubs themselves. They can’t stop clubs going bust or people breaking the rules any more than speed limits prevent people driving too fast. But they have helped reduce the number of clubs going bust. I feel sorry for the fans and staff at Wigan, but ultimately the people running the club are the bad guys rather than the FA or EFL for this one, surely.

Probably. You're probably also right about the speed limit analogy. 

It's a sad situation whatever, and the difference between the PL and the EFL has probably never been bigger. It's a miracle Luton have made their way to the PL. Lets hope more clubs follow their model.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

It would set a very dangerous precedent if the PL started bailing out every club every fly by night scumbag rinses.

While fair enough Wigan debt is probably the yearly wage of Calum Chambers

Doesn't mean give the club back to the clowns

On 13/06/2023 at 00:10, MrBlack said:

And a 21 year old entrepreneur that seemingly has no legitimate funds either will not be the answer to their problems. FFP is all well and good as a theory, but the execution of it doesn't stop clubs like this going bankrupt due to corrupt owners, and doesn't encourage fair competition at the top of the league. The FA are a joke. 

Martin Calladine (as I have said many times, a brilliant follow on Twitter) has been looking into this Sarbjot Johal character that @MrBlack is referring to. He's been trying to buy Morecambe for more than 6 months and has now moved on to allegedly trying to buy Wigan. The stuff that Calladine has found about him would be funny if the situation weren't so awful:

It's hard not to laugh, but in reality, Morecambe have been up for sale for 9 months or so of which 6 have been spent with the owner trying to sell to this guy who does not have a readily apparent source of wealth that he is demonstrating or discussing publicly. And now he's seemingly moving the circus to Wigan. 

The guy is every bit as ridiculous as Laurence Bassini. 

• Thanks 1

Â