The Randy Lerner thread

CI

State of the art training facilities and a work hard you are guaranteed to keep your place and play first team football rather than rot on the bench philosophy?

Not sure thats enough compared to what city could offer.

And spurs seem to have always been a more desireable destination for players.

The idea that a "football adviser" would have helped is also contentious. These arrangements in other premier league clubs have more often than not ended in chaos due to lack of clarity about the boundary lines between the manager and the "adviser"..

Football advisor is a bad turn of phrase on my part. What I'm trying to say is that we'd have benefitted, and still would, from someone in there who understands and has experience of the football industry.

I'm checking out of this conversation now. It's become about O'Neill and I'm bored of reading it for the Nth time on VillaTalk.

The key point for me is that our board lacks people with genuine football industry experience. Whether that's somebody like Graham Taylor, who is a former football manager AND chairman, or Peter Kenyon who has worked in sporting goods and been a successful football club chairman, many of the mistakes we have made - during MON's tenure and since - wouldn't, I believe, have been allowed to happen.

The aim was 4th place, we almost made it because we had a really good first 11, we ultimately failed because it was backed up with the likes of marlon Harewood and steve sidwell.

I think you appoint a manager and trust him with the football side and let him spend the budgets on what he sees fit. A manager should be appointed on merit by looking at his career achievements. You can't really create a position at the club just for the specific job of hiring managers.

The aim was 4th place, we almost made it because we had a really good first 11, we ultimately failed because it was backed up with the likes of marlon Harewood and steve sidwell.

You seem to take no thought about any other team.

You had the original sky 4 and then spurs and city and all 6 of those teams could attract better players than us.

I find this attitude that we somehow threw away a top 4 place ridiculous. You can't ignore other teams who were also challenging for that spot.

Edited by Big_John_10

You had the original sky 4 and then spurs and city and all 6 of those teams could attract better players than us.

I find this attitude that we somehow threw away a top 4 place ridiculous. You can't ignore other teams who were also challenging for that spot.

Where did I say we threw away a top 4 place, what I said was had we been more astute we would have been better placed to finish 4th. The fact we spent so much money and still finished behind everton. The moneys spunked on beye, sidwell, heskey could have been used to buy fellaini 4 years ago. And those sort of transfers are why we were close, but so far away.

• Like 1

I have just read this piece in the BM from Benito Carbone & i have to say this is exactly how i see this football club & how far it has fallen. The article is bang on in my opinion & this is what Randy & the Pauls need to be both aware of & aspiring to.

LINK: http://tinyurl.com/aaa7plx

Our target each season should be 5th & on the odd occasion with 1 or 2 of the SKY 4 having a transitional season or something we could nick a place or 2 higher... Not saying we could stay there but maybe on the odd occasion it could happen. This is for me where this club should be at... Of course we have a couple of clubs vying with us for that now but it should still be our target. Along with maybe Spurs & Everton (although our finances are significantly in better shape than Evertons' at present surely)

So thank you Benito for a cracking & very real article which rather goes in the face of all the belittling biased c**p we get constantly fed about this club from the national "short term memoried" media.

Randy take note!!

Edited by danceoftheshamen

Other teams having money doesn't change the fact we are in a worse position as a club now ..

The way other clubs have been run is irrelevant.

So the way other clubs are run is irrelevant....but you can't ignore other teams and them having more money and stuff.

Thanks for clearing that up.

If you like we could all leave this thread, and you could continue arguing against yourself, then, when you're done you could let us know which of yourself was right, and which of yourself was wrong.

we actually did though. 08/09 i think we had an 11 point lead over Arsenal at one point

So the way other clubs are run is irrelevant....but you can't ignore other teams and them having more money and stuff.

Thanks for clearing that up.

If you like we could all leave this thread, and you could continue arguing against yourself, then, when you're done you could let us know which of yourself was right, and which of yourself was wrong.

Other teams spending and what they do is relevant to the argument about us challenging for a top 4 position.

Other teams spending and what they do is not relevant when comparing our club under Doug to how it now is under Lerner.

Edited by Big_John_10
  • Like 1

No need.

Did you read the post aimed at me?

Blandy clearly saw an opportunity to try and point score and attempt to make me look foolish. But instead of taking the time to think about the two clearly different situations mentioned he jumped in two footed.

I'm responding in the manner in which the original post was aimed at me.

we actually did though. 08/09 i think we had an 11 point lead over Arsenal at one point

Don't think it was as high as 11. I remember we then had a run of mare fixtures at Anfield, Old Trafford and Etihad and think we also played Chelsea and Spurs. Then Arsenal going on a 20 game unbeaten run or something didn't help.

Â