The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Just saw this quote on Twitter from Delph:

“The future at the club looks bright and if we stay up and build for next season the fans will be a lot happier than they are at the moment.”

Hmm.

Is this a recent quote? He said something similar when he signed his contract.

Just found the full article, it is from today:

The former Leeds United man has been vital for the Villains in recent seasons and signed a new four-and-a-half year deal as Villa Park last month, with Tim Sherwood now in charge after Paul Lambert’s departure.

Interest from Liverpool and Tottenham did not cloud his judgement but perhaps the hope of staving off relegation did.

“When I signed my contract there wasn’t a thought in my mind that relegation was going to happen,” he said.

“If that was the case, you’d have argued that I wouldn’t have signed the contract.

“When I signed (for Aston Villa) we were trying to get into the top four but I’ve been in relegation battles since I’ve been a regular starter here, which isn’t something I am proud of.

“Each year, we’ve crossed the line and got through and I don’t see this year being any different. We’re confident in our own abilities and I’m 100% certain we will get over the line.

“The future at the club looks bright and if we stay up and build for next season the fans will be a lot happier than they are at the moment.”

Villa are currently in the bottom three and will be looking to get the fans back on side under new boss Sherwood against Leicester in the FA Cup today.

The league is clearly the more important competition for the Midlands club and if they were to go down, they may have to cash in on Delph anyway.

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/tottenham/tottenham_and_liverpool_summer_target_admits_risk_in_contract_situation_1_3956889

Very surprised that at the time that he signed the new contract, he had no thought that relegation was going to happen. That makes no sense to me. Could it be that no one else came in for him, or that if anyone did, they would not offer him what we did.

He's loaned us about £130m and he's given us about £130m - about £260m more than the last owner - according to the press, he's trying to sell us at a price significantly lower than he initially asked, I would imagine because he doesn't want to have to keep giving his money to the club. I think in terms of his intention he's been very very good - he's lost a fortune, in no small part down to the fact that as an operator of a football club, he's been terrible, but I think he knows all of that and again, I think he's trying to do something about it and do something that's beneficial to the football club - namely get out and let someone who does have money they can afford to spend on propping us up have a go.

But, I guess there's no point in putting that view forward when people see a club lose games and need a villain of the piece to blame their anger on - a good man, with good intention for the football club, trapped in a prison of his own making through poor decisions, having invested in a football club that is now almost valueless as a perpetual also ran in a league that's become cemented in place. I have genuine sympathy for him; we've all been in positions where we've tried something, put our best into it and come out realising we're in the shit and it's going to cost us.

Excellent post, OBE, he came in with the best of intentions, but his ineptitude has put us in a perilous state. I do have some sympathy for him, and hope that Fox & co. can turn it round for his sake and ours.

• Like 1

"You cannot run a football club by phone from the other side of the Atlantic and that is what Lerner is trying to do."   - Graham Taylor Feb 20 2015

Tom Fox now runs the club.

I nearly spat my coffee out when I read that .......!!!! - you are quite correct - but that doesn't give any sort of confidence whats so ever 

Â