The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I think Lerner's problem is - without being racist so no arsey comments please - his nationality. He seems to have thought that the match day experience thing is key to someone enjoying football. It is if the match day involves not seeing your team lose!

I'd rather look at shitty walls and see winning footie than have fancy decoration and see my team played off the park.

His nationality has got **** all to do with it - naivety doesn't adhere to national boundaries.
Naivety doesn't, you're right!

I was referring to the way Americans are big on hospitality and the way Lerner has done the place up. I'd rather he'd concentrated on us trying to win football matches than tart up the stadium.

Edited by villarocker

Could you possibly explain what conditions you refer too, as the only ones I can think of is unconditionally funding poor players until we eventually by way of trial an error get it right.

Sounds like I'm defending him ,but I'm not....I just don' t think that the restricted funds need to be as damaging as you allude to...Sanchez, Vlaar,and Okore are all very similar priced....2 are not in the team,and seem unlikely to be imminently and one is one of our best players....is that funds or talent spotting?

You seem to be misunderstanding my point, I'm not just referring to the impact on the current manager, I'm not.

Lerner has over a number of years through his poor management of the club created conditions in which we are now simply hoping to stay in the division.

No offense intended but I'm not going to recap his mistakes over the last 8 years, they've been done to death and everyone knows them. 

The way he has run the club, the decisions he has made, his lack of financial control, they have all contributed to the position we find ourselves in. They have all contributed to the conditions each of his managers have worked, managers he is responsible for having appointed.

So no, he isn't directly responsible for team performances or the players performances or even the individual signings of players nobody claims he is but as I said he is responsible for not only those who have been appointed to run the team but the conditions under which they have worked. 

You may not agree with the criticism of him, as is your right but please don't misrepresent that criticism as somehow being based upon the performance of the team in matches. 

As for the here and now, Sanchez is being written off far too prematurely and will soon be featuring while Okore simply isn't ready after a serious injury but that is stuff for different threads.

I like Randy. I like that he has put his money in - even when he realised he couldn't keep doing it. I like that he is low profile compared to our former owner. I like that he has tried to be professional in how the club deals with it's customers and the structure of the club itself and left the running of the club to those he has placed in those positions (again, unlike our former owner).

But I can't call him a good owner. His plans have shifted dramatically mostly due to circumstances that he himself created. His lack of knowledge about football and inability to find an advisor to fill that gap has seen him go from bad decision to worse decision. It has lead to a downward spiral that, it seems, we have not yet plumbed the depths of and, as owner, he remains responsible for that.

I still hope that we will be sold - but I fear that the new owner will just continue our downward trend (even though that fear is probably unfounded).

I could imagine the London factor as effecting a players choice but not sure it would effect an owners. Surely we generate more money than palace.

With Palace being located in London they have the opportunity to generate a lot more money than us.

Edited by Swerbs

I could imagine the London factor as effecting a players choice but not sure it would effect an owners. Surely we generate more money than palace.

With Palace being located in London they have the opportunity to generate a lot more money than us.

I don't buy any of that. The real reason is probably the ridiculous price tag Lerner's put on the club and its putting buyers off.

Why do they? Fulham & Charlton didn't earn more than us when in the premier league.

With Fulham, their stadium is located slap-bang in the heart of the most expensive area in London. Even if they were relegated to the conference, the owner could still recoup most of his money just by selling it.

• Like 1

Some of you may want to see where our income comes from, the vast vast majority of it is TV income which is the same income Palace get.

You may see us as much bigger than a Palace or West Brom but the reality is we generate only a few million more per year than these clubs.

Palace has more potential in these modern days.

Some of you may want to see where our income comes from, the vast vast majority of it is TV income which is the same income Palace get.

You may see us as much bigger than a Palace or West Brom but the reality is we generate only a few million more per year than these clubs.

Palace has more potential in these modern days.

Did we earn similar amounts years ago or has the way we've been run effected that? Especially as the last couple of years have seen more money given to league placing.

That's nonsense, it's not as simple as that. We have far more potential than Palace, on and off the pitch. It's an absurd comparison. 

Edited by PatrickCousens
  • Like 2

So you can't charge more for a ticket in London?

So players don't want to live in London rather than Birmingham?

Potential owners aren't interested in London over other cities?

You deny that for teams outside the champions league such as ourselves and palace the largest part of their revenue by a long way is premier league TV money therefore making us more or less financially the same?

No I didn't think so

Â