Thomas Hitzlsperger

AndyBM

Thomas has today announced that he has had to retire at the age of 31 after a series of injuries.

It's a real shame as it's relatively young these days but he's had a great career with 52 caps and 6 goals for Germany, a 3rd place finish at the World Cup and runner-up at the Euros, winning the Bundesliga with VfB Stuttgart and, of course, being a cult hero at the Villa.

Sorry to hear 'Der Hammer' has had to call it a day, I always kind of thought he would return for a 2nd spell at his second home.

He wasn't the greatest players but I often felt he was a far better player than we perhaps saw in his time here and that the fuss about his shot masked some of his other attributes.

Aside from his qualities in the shirt the most notable quality of Thomas was the passion he clearly felt for the club even beyond his days here. In an age where even some homegrown players of clubs don't seem to much care for the clubs they supported as boys, the hammer remained a fan of Villa way beyond the end of his spell here and remains a fan to this day.

Hitz is just a really nice bloke and although not a Villa legend will always be a fans favourite.

• Like 2

He wasn't the greatest players but I often felt he was a far better player than we perhaps saw in his time here and that the fuss about his shot masked some of his other attributes.

Hitz is just a really nice bloke and although not a Villa legend will always be a fans favourite.

This. Top Bloke.

Sad to see the end of his career; his last three or so years haven’t really been very good, so this isn’t a surprise.

As many have said it would hard not to be affectionate towards him, and as TV says a fans favourite. 

I am not going to worry about his future as he seemed a smart guy who can go on to a successful career in business or football.

Thanks for the memories “Der Hammer”

really sad as mentioned not greatest player we had but was underrated due to his tremendous shot. Thought O'Leary management of him was poor especially when I think he might have wanted to stay at Villa.

never really mentioned but his through pass for Lahm goal in Euro 2008 semi final was brilliant at such a crucial time in game

Â