Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I actually can't believe that fans actually have this opinion. It's shocking, it really is. You don't blame him? Are you serious? No one forced him to buy the club and he's done nothing but **** up. And because of those **** ups you've got no problem with a billionaire running the club you support on the cheap hoping to survive each year? Amazing.

This pretty much sums it up for me. You would think he only took over in 2010 the way some go on!

• Like 1

But it's the same. We couldn't afford to compete with the sky 4 with Doug in charge and we can't now. Lerner is not in a more difficult situation. And any issues that do make it difficult have been brought on by his poor decisions.

I actually can't believe that fans actually have this opinion. It's shocking, it really is. You don't blame him? Are you serious? No one forced him to buy the club and he's done nothing but **** up. And because of those **** ups you've got no problem with a billionaire running the club you support on the cheap hoping to survive each year? Amazing.

No I think the issue is spending levels now. Regardless of his previous **** ups, surviving on the cheap is not an acceptable aim for this club.

If it's the same then how come you don't get relatively small clubs finishing in the top 6/7 anymore?

Please do read my entire posts. I don't blame him for not wanting to blow more of his money after what happened before. I do however blame him for signing off on some ridiculous deals under O'Neill, Houllier and McLeish.

This pretty much sums it up for me. You would think he only took over in 2010 the way some go on!

I don't recall anyone denying that Lerner is at least partially to blame for all that wasted money.

Edited by Mantis

I'm always optimistic, but after the match yesterday one of my sons dented my optimism with these stats …. none of our current midfield have scored or assisted (bar the very odd occasion ….  KEA tap in, Westwood's couple of assists last season etc) during their time at Villa or historically (apart from Delph years ago at leeds). 

If Lambert is hoping that he will get any scoring help from our current midfielders it may well be a forlorn hope!

I've looked at other very ordinary Premiership teams and their midfields are statistically much more productive than ours.

Sadly it appears that if we want to compete in the Premiership we cannot do it with £1.5 million buys and £20,000 pw wages. 

Can Lambert change RL's mindset by January?

I dont think Lambert will sign a new contract, I think he may even go after this season

Could you blame him. I dont understand why he came, knowing all the cost cutting that was to come. Very strange. Maybe Lerner said he will give him a truck load once he has got rid of all the chaf.

I don't recall anyone denying that Lerner is at least partially to blame for all that wasted money.

I've seen many. Lots like to push nearly all of the blame onto MON and give poor Lerner an easy ride due to his so-called 'naivety' and now we are supposed to be grateful to him for clearing up his own mess which is obviously in his interest anyway.

I've seen many. Lots like to push nearly all of the blame onto MON and give poor Lerner an easy ride due to his so-called 'naivety' and now we are supposed to be grateful to him for clearing up his own mess which is obviously in his interest anyway.

I never thought this was the case either and dont see very many standing up and supporting Lerner on this site. Everyone knows he has to shoulder allot of the blame. Feel free to reply to this if u support lerner

The "we had this many points against the same sides last season" is an irrelevant and terrible argument. It means absolutely nothing.

Looking at individual games, it is because anything can happen. But over the course of a season, if you beat teams you lost to/drew with the season before, you'll end up with more points generally.

I'm always optimistic, but after the match yesterday one of my sons dented my optimism with these stats …. none of our current midfield have scored or assisted (bar the very odd occasion ….  KEA tap in, Westwood's couple of assists last season etc) during their time at Villa or historically (apart from Delph years ago at leeds). 

If Lambert is hoping that he will get any scoring help from our current midfielders it may well be a forlorn hope!

I've looked at other very ordinary Premiership teams and their midfields are statistically much more productive than ours.

Sadly it appears that if we want to compete in the Premiership we cannot do it with £1.5 million buys and £20,000 pw wages. 

Can Lambert change RL's mindset by January?

All spot on, but Lambert could have used the money he did have to get a better class of midfielder

I dont think Lambert will sign a new contract, I think he may even go after this season

Could you blame him. I dont understand why he came, knowing all the cost cutting that was to come. Very strange. Maybe Lerner said he will give him a truck load once he has got rid of all the chaf.

He earns insane money for coaching a football team in the Premier League though, pretty much the dream for most lovers of football.

Besides, Villa are a bigger club than Norwich any day of the week and it's not like there are many, if any, other clubs interested in having Lambert as a manager. He came here with a decent reputation from the lower leagues and a decent effort from Norwich in the Premier League, but reputations are lost in two weeks. His reputation right about now is being one of the grayest managers in the league, both from his type of football and because of his slightly impossible accent. Chris Hughton came in for him and did better in the league the year after, and was "hailed" to a degree by their fans, I guess that image is about to burst now though.

Lambert still has a lot to learn in this game, I guess he has higher ambitions than managing AVFC like every other manager, but right now he has to show how to get us out of this mess we're in. The team lacks identity and a plan B. Two managers springs to mind, Martinez and Rodgers. Both doing their thing with lesser teams, but sticking to their plan with Wigan and Swansea before moving on to bigger teams just like Lambo. Rodgers has created a different mentality at Liverpool and Martinez has done a very good job at Everton thus far, both teams strictly following a set plan from the tactic boards. We are just doing random stuff, and if we do well it's because we are slightly better than the other team on the day. If Gabby/Weimann are given room on the wings we are fine, if not we have absolutely no plan B and suffer for 90 minutes. I am very happy that we don't have a manager like Sam Allardyce, but without Benteke would we look very different for the objective viewer? I want to play to our strengths and win more games, that does not necessarily mean "beautiful and passing football", because we don't have the manpower to do that. However, I want us to utilize all of our attacking players and not just play for Benteke (and Weimann/Gabby). Our midfield is completely out of the picture, they just exist, they are 3-4 guys running around defending and passing it to the guy who can possibly do something with it. If not, a short pass back to another midfielder who in turn does not know what to do with the ball. The runs are lacking and the cohesion is nowhere to be seen, this is our biggest problem and I hope it will be rectified soon.

The game against Cardiff will be very interesting to watch. I of course hope for a victory (and I don't really care how we get it), but it will be hard to take another game where we struggle to create momentum and struggle to score goals, against a team we should create chances against. I want to see a midfield where the players are involved in the setup, where shots are fired from outside the box and I want to see runs from Delph into the box so that we can free up one of the other players that are normally marked out, like Weimann. I see Cardiff just won against Swansea, that is good for us as they seldom win two games in a row and might give them some inflated confidence.

• Like 3

If he had any shred of decency in him he would have resigned after the Chelsea humiliation last season. He even stayed to humiliate us even further with the Bradford debacle.

• Like 1

Next week is now a big game for us. We go in to it in 14th a point behind Cardiff. 3 points is a must if not I get the feeling the crowd may start to vent some frustration towards Lambert.

I think you're right. Lose next week and I think the majority of fans will turn on him. What Lambert has inflicted on Villa is simply unacceptable in my opinion.

Have we simply become the new Cleveland Browns?

And look how it ended there. Fans delighted to see the back of Lerner.

Really can't see the "majority" of fans turning on him on the back of one game, especially when most fans support him.

Don't think so either, thanks to the McLeish appointment Lambert gets the longest honeymoon phase in recent history

• Like 1