Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Honestly it was a gamble and it showed that he should not play that position at all, he isn`t ready for PL yet. But it was nice to him having a chance and then taking him off when it was needed. Unless this will become a reoccurring move from Lambert, then I see no fault with it. Gabby wasn`t in so he let him have a stab at it. But yes, it was way better when bent came on, I don`t think many will argue with that.

Edited by vandaq

I wouldn't have banked on Bowery to have got it right. Experience is important and, before he became the Villa Park whipping boy, Bent did accumulate quite a lot of that.

Why? Bent was simply in the "right place at the right time" - frankly it is ludicrous to promote Bent on the strength of his blocking a shot. For me it's not a question of Bent v Bowery. Had Gabby been fit, Bowery wouldnt have start

I'm not really promoting Bent vs Bowery, just responding to some posts that suggested Bowery was a better choice than Bent for a key match (which is ludicrous) and the general anti-Bent feeling that pervades these pages. 

I thought Bent made quite a difference to our attacking opportunities when he came on and, hey presto, we scored twice where we had been labouring all match. You will probably argue it was nothing to do with him but I'm still glad he came on and we got the decisive goals.

OK I got the wrong end of the stick. I am not anti-Bent and accept that he made a difference when he came on against Wham but I dont think he should be lauded for his defensive "skills"

I am not sure of Bowery but currently, if all were fit, I would start  with Gabby, Benteke and Wiemann - using Bent as a 2nd Half sub.

I wouldn't have banked on Bowery to have got it right. Experience is important and, before he became the Villa Park whipping boy, Bent did accumulate quite a lot of that.

Why? Bent was simply in the "right place at the right time" - frankly it is ludicrous to promote Bent on the strength of his blocking a shot. For me it's not a question of Bent v Bowery. Had Gabby been fit, Bowery wouldnt have started.

You hit the nail on the head there "Bent was in the right place at the right time" which goes to show that even tho he is a forward he knew where he should be ( at the time ) and I am not saying that Bent should be in the team because he blocked a shot.The reason we got our second goal was because Bent was brought down, giving us a free kick.So the moral of the story is " Bent is valuable at both ends of the pitch "  

I don't believe a word of it. The time to sack the manager was after the Christmas disaster. Now the window is shut we would be better off riding it out to the end of the season. I don't think a new manager would have enough time to make a dramatic change.