Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Strange selection. Could'nt have done the lad any favours either.

I take you've not been "impressed" with Bowery's little cameos? Most people seem to have been. I have been.

The only other option was to move N'Zogbia out wide and bring Ireland or Holman in or go with Dawkins, a lad who has never kicked a ball for us. Unless I'm missing something?

He earned his chance, he didn't take it. That doesn't make it strange. 

On the contrary, I don't think Bowery has done anything wrong at all. I've not been raving about him, but he's done alright.

He is'nt, however, a winger and I thought Lambert did have other options.........hence why I found his decision to play Bowery there 'strange'.

I take you've not been "impressed" with Bowery's little cameos? Most people seem to have been. I have been.

The only other option was to move N'Zogbia out wide and bring Ireland or Holman in or go with Dawkins, a lad who has never kicked a ball for us. Unless I'm missing something?

On the contrary, I don't think Bowery has done anything wrong at all. I've not been raving about him, but he's done alright.

He is'nt, however, a winger and I thought Lambert did have other options.........hence why I found his decision to play Bowery there 'strange'.

What were the other options?

You named three.

On Bowery, I thought he was ok first half.

Seemed comfortable on the ball and just controlled it and laid it off well. Seemed to me form that that he'd be an ok target man (but certainly not first or even second choice)

When he was running at West Ham thoguh he seemed lost and constantly ran into nomans land and lost it.

Second half his calmness on the ball evaporated and he didn't look good at all, imo.

Not a bad full debut, but I'm not expecting anything from him really.

I thought Bowery did okay.  Dont forget this was his full deput. 

All the top teams play with an attacking winger and a defensive one.  I dont mind us doing that and him going back and breaking up play which he did a fair bit yesterday.  If it makes us tighter at the back then its a good thing.

I thought Bowery was completely at sea and totally out of his depth, poor decision to play him from Lambert. Bowery is in no way quick enough to play on the wing, looked like he was going in slow motion at times and he miscontrolled a few straight to an opposition player.

My opinion constantly changes about Lambo. From one perspective I think he will have worked a miracle if he keeps us up because the majority of the players are shite.

On the other hand he makes totally crazy tactical decisions that I just don’t get.

Because Bent is lazy and wouldn't have worked hard enough for the team in the position Bowery played, to play Bent you would have to move Benteke and I wouldn't have wanted him to do that. The only alternative would have been to change the formation but considering the team had probably spent all week being drilled to play a certain way I wouldn't have wanted him to do that so close to kick off just to fit in Bent.

It was a must win game for us,so why did'nt Lambert start with Bent ?

Here is a home game,the pressure is on,we need to win, and .......Bowery starts instead of Bent ?! 

You do realise that Bowery was playing right midfield don't you? So it clearly wasn't an 'either Bowery or Bent' decision given Lambert's tactics on the day.

On the other hand, Bent did a decent bit of defending almost immediately after he came on, i.e. stopping a seemingly certain goal on the line. We need more skill and experience that Lambert's lower-league improvers can give us.

Right place, right time, I would have expected any of our players to have done the same had they been  in that position -  you cannot surely be arguing that Bent should be playing because of defensive "skill and experience"?

I wouldn't have banked on Bowery to have got it right. Experience is important and, before he became the Villa Park whipping boy, Bent did accumulate quite a lot of that.

Why? Bent was simply in the "right place at the right time" - frankly it is ludicrous to promote Bent on the strength of his blocking a shot. For me it's not a question of Bent v Bowery. Had Gabby been fit, Bowery wouldnt have started.

I wouldn't have banked on Bowery to have got it right. Experience is important and, before he became the Villa Park whipping boy, Bent did accumulate quite a lot of that.

Why? Bent was simply in the "right place at the right time" - frankly it is ludicrous to promote Bent on the strength of his blocking a shot. For me it's not a question of Bent v Bowery. Had Gabby been fit, Bowery wouldnt have start

I'm not really promoting Bent vs Bowery, just responding to some posts that suggested Bowery was a better choice than Bent for a key match (which is ludicrous) and the general anti-Bent feeling that pervades these pages. 

I thought Bent made quite a difference to our attacking opportunities when he came on and, hey presto, we scored twice where we had been labouring all match. You will probably argue it was nothing to do with him but I'm still glad he came on and we got the decisive goals.