Paul Lambert

Pilchard

All I see is the 2nd half perfomance at 4-4-2 with gabby/weimann making instant impacts in wide positions. We posed a threat, we also did not concede 2nd half and looked quite solid defensively.

I know hindsight is a beautiful thing, but Im confident we would never have lost last nights game if we had started the first half with 4-4-2.

Edited by hinsley

Lambert should've gone after first leg loss against Bradford but there's no way in hell he'll resign so we're gonna be stuck with him probably full next season too and we'll end up in league 1.

He should have gone after Wigan

• Like 1

Some of thee players army good enough for championship so unless fergie has a magic wand I don't think even he could get team playing well but he wouldn't of brought them in the first place.

Yes mon gave us the best time in ages and yes Lerner bottled it when he realised that he wasn't going to win anything in 5 years but mon put players on stupid contracts including the ageing ones but most of all jumped ship as he knew things were going to be harder. Lerner and mon have done wrong but Things have got worse 10 fold and Lerner is to blame in the here and now.

Lerner should hand the club to someone who is interested.

Lambert is a one season wonder.At least Mcliesh would get bore draws against teams near us in the league some of the time.

We were better in 2nd half but even that resorted to long balls and Pardew brought on big players to help defend and nullfied us.

The first half was inept tatics to dismiss that and say it is players is him covering his own failings.How Lerner is backing him I dont know I can only assume we are prepared to be relegated ..but we will lose ground on all the clubs that stay in.Hell we already have as evidently despite clearing players out this weekend we cant even loan someone in.To put in perspective Norwich are after 2 strikers and will spend up to 10mil.Reading have bid 6 mil for Ince.

Sad times

His tactics are as bad as his post match mumblings. I don't believe he thinks it's just a collection of words that make little sense .

This.

I struggle to understand the guys interviews so you can imagine his team talks and him bellowing instructions from the sidelines are a joke. The guy is totally uninspiring.

Look at Candleface. His team wasnt much better than ours but he is the type of manager who inspires poor players to perform for him.

Baffling that he would play 3-5-2 again after what happened against bradfrod when we had no width. As bad as we are we had the players to stay up this season but the piss poor management by Lmabert has nesured that we'll go down and probably finish last in the league.

The man is shambles.

Spouts the same old drivel post match, I see he was saying it wasn't the system yesterday....Whatever Paul you clown.

Needs to go.  Now.  Whatever faith I had that he could even get us back up should the worst happen has been completely eroded.  You don't win promotion by trying hard for 45 out of 90 minutes.  Quite frankly, as uninspiring as the names of potential replacements like Curbishley are, it has got to the stage where they simply cannot do any worse.

• Like 1

Needs to go.  Now.  Whatever faith I had that he could even get us back up should the worst happen has been completely eroded.  You don't win promotion by trying hard for 45 out of 90 minutes.  Quite frankly, as uninspiring as the names of potential replacements like Curbishley are, it has got to the stage where they simply cannot do any worse.

we said that about mcleish......

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

The fullbacks have no space, the midfield is overrun. The young players panic and put the ball out or pump it back to an opponent. 

Second half we start playing a simple 4-4-2, one of the few times we have done it this season, suddenly the players have options wide to find Gabby or Weimenn, the midfielders have space to pick a pass and options to make it. They look a different team. 

Our current form is down to the manager. 

I don't think we did play 4-4-2 second half - It seemed to me that we played 4-5-1 or more like 4-2-3-1 with Westwood and Bannan holding.

I also don't think that our current form is solely down to the manager - it is down to Lerner, the players and the manager, none of whom are covering themselves in glory

It seemed the plan was originally to play 3-5-2 with Lowton and Bennett pushing up to give us width - the problem was that they were both, Lowton in particular, very reluctant to move out of what became a back five (marking just Cisse). N'Zogbia never got himself behind the ball so that left Bannan and Westwood to cover across the midfield. Newcastle had so much room in the full-back and wide midfield positions that it was criminal

The goals we conceded were good goals which could have been scored against better defences than ours - but they were a result of the easy possession we allowed Newcastle throughtout the first half

The formation, I guess, was designed to make us hard to break down and then give us platform on which to build a more attacking threat later on - but it was obvious that 10-15 mins in it wasn't working. The CBs need to work as a unit but I felt they were too close, consequently Lowton and Bennett, were also too narrow and withdrawn. It needed Vlaar to push Clark and Baker slightly wider and in turn for the full-backs to move up 10-15 yards (saying that the goal came from Cisse exploiting a big gap in the CB line)

After 30mins we went 4-4-2 with Bennett and Zog wider which looked lots better but by then we were two down

After half-time we were set up 4-2-3-1 and just looked a different outfit. We were helped by the fact that Newcastle weren't particularly adventurous, but for me Weimann and Gabby looked so effective that you've got to question why we didn't start this way.

Lambert said after the game that it wasn't about systems it was about players - that's bollocks, it's about both. In terms of systems, I hope and think that is the last time we will see 3 CBs because we haven't got the full-backs able to make it work. Whether 4-2-3-1 is to progressive for say Everton away is another question

In terms of players, Bannan is just too lightweight, Bennett is lacking confidence and needs some time out the spotlight, Baker gives 100% but hasn't really got the attacking skills required. Worst of all in my personal opinion was Bent - people can argue no service, but for me he offers nothing. I really hope he is sold before tomorrow. £65k a week, what a disgrace. I thought Westwood, Gabby and Weimann were excellent. N'zogbia looked like he was trying but faded

I can see why people are so critical of Lambert, and he does make mistakes and seems very stubborn, however he is the victim of three years of mis-management at all levels in our club. The players he inherited are just not good enough - nowhere near good enough, and the players that he had bought are averaged but flawed/limited (people will blame Lambert for this but I believe that they are amongst the best we could get for the money).

Lambert is so short of options it is unbelievable - we need to sign at least three players to give ourselves a chance. Even if we do sign some up, it would still need to be appreciated that these would have the same limitations as Lowton or Bennett or Westwood - potential not experience, good in some elements of the game and not in others

I've just read the report in the Guardian where they are lauding Graham Carr for unearthing Sissoko for only £2m - they forget to say that 8 premiership sides were interested and the Newcastle will end up spending close to £20m for him over the next four years. If we are not in that league we will always look second best, even to teams like Newcastle down in the relegation zone, no matter what formation we play.

I'm still backing Lambert because I don't believe that any other manager we could attract could do any better with the resources available and many would do a lot worse. If we are not active over the next 24 hours Lerner deserves all he gets - sadly we will suffer with him

Awful yesterday, 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 how ever you want to look at it does not work!

Bennett and Bannan are absolute shite and shouldnt be picked to start a game for the rest of the season.

Why the hell havnt be got any central midfielders in?

On last night, of course we were going to have a go second half, we were TWO goals down at home to a team which hasnt won away in NINETEEN away games!! They just wanted to defend their lead out knowing forwell that we dont score much anyway.

7 league games without a win is embarassing, considering we played Soton, Newcastle n Wigan at home during that time. We should have been 6 points better off by know than that we are.

PL reckons we need 6 wins from the next 14 to stay, GOOD LUCK with that. i can only see 5 and thats being VERY generous!

UTV!

Baker is 21 and very promising. Been one of our best players this season. He is learning and will make mistakes. To call him a clown is disgusting and you should be ashamed of yourself.

The issue is we shouldn't be relying on him at this stage in his career.

Spot on Foxy. I can appreciate people with a different point of view but to insult young players in this way is disgraceful. Baker looks to me to give 100% every game, even when playing out of position - he doesn't look like he has the close skills needed attacking-wise to be a full back but you can't fault his effort

I sat with an ex-pro last night and he couldn't believe the abuse some of our younger players were getting from the fans. Bent and Ireland are earning in a week than most fans earn in a year - save your abuse for them

I don't think we did play 4-4-2 second half - It seemed to me that we played 4-5-1 or more like 4-2-3-1 with Westwood and Bannan holding.

I also don't think that our current form is solely down to the manager - it is down to Lerner, the players and the manager, none of whom are covering themselves in glory

It seemed the plan was originally to play 3-5-2 with Lowton and Bennett pushing up to give us width - the problem was that they were both, Lowton in particular, very reluctant to move out of what became a back five (marking just Cisse). N'Zogbia never got himself behind the ball so that left Bannan and Westwood to cover across the midfield. Newcastle had so much room in the full-back and wide midfield positions that it was criminal

The goals we conceded were good goals which could have been scored against better defences than ours - but they were a result of the easy possession we allowed Newcastle throughtout the first half

The formation, I guess, was designed to make us hard to break down and then give us platform on which to build a more attacking threat later on - but it was obvious that 10-15 mins in it wasn't working. The CBs need to work as a unit but I felt they were too close, consequently Lowton and Bennett, were also too narrow and withdrawn. It needed Vlaar to push Clark and Baker slightly wider and in turn for the full-backs to move up 10-15 yards (saying that the goal came from Cisse exploiting a big gap in the CB line)

After 30mins we went 4-4-2 with Bennett and Zog wider which looked lots better but by then we were two down

After half-time we were set up 4-2-3-1 and just looked a different outfit. We were helped by the fact that Newcastle weren't particularly adventurous, but for me Weimann and Gabby looked so effective that you've got to question why we didn't start this way.

Lambert said after the game that it wasn't about systems it was about players - that's bollocks, it's about both. In terms of systems, I hope and think that is the last time we will see 3 CBs because we haven't got the full-backs able to make it work. Whether 4-2-3-1 is to progressive for say Everton away is another question

In terms of players, Bannan is just too lightweight, Bennett is lacking confidence and needs some time out the spotlight, Baker gives 100% but hasn't really got the attacking skills required. Worst of all in my personal opinion was Bent - people can argue no service, but for me he offers nothing. I really hope he is sold before tomorrow. £65k a week, what a disgrace. I thought Westwood, Gabby and Weimann were excellent. N'zogbia looked like he was trying but faded

I can see why people are so critical of Lambert, and he does make mistakes and seems very stubborn, however he is the victim of three years of mis-management at all levels in our club. The players he inherited are just not good enough - nowhere near good enough, and the players that he had bought are averaged but flawed/limited (people will blame Lambert for this but I believe that they are amongst the best we could get for the money).

Lambert is so short of options it is unbelievable - we need to sign at least three players to give ourselves a chance. Even if we do sign some up, it would still need to be appreciated that these would have the same limitations as Lowton or Bennett or Westwood - potential not experience, good in some elements of the game and not in others

I've just read the report in the Guardian where they are lauding Graham Carr for unearthing Sissoko for only £2m - they forget to say that 8 premiership sides were interested and the Newcastle will end up spending close to £20m for him over the next four years. If we are not in that league we will always look second best, even to teams like Newcastle down in the relegation zone, no matter what formation we play.

I'm still backing Lambert because I don't believe that any other manager we could attract could do any better with the resources available and many would do a lot worse. If we are not active over the next 24 hours Lerner deserves all he gets - sadly we will suffer with him

Yep that is spot on for me - we have a young side making lots of mistakes and a young manager also making mistakes. That is a recipe for relegation.

Fact is though if we don't have any money for even loans or free transfers then we certainly don't have money for another round of compensation to find another mediocre manager.

Seems like a fit Dunne will never happen for us.

Which is convenient for Lambert.

I think its shocking how the "old heads" have been treated however poor they have been in the past. A new manager should start with a clean slate, but by making them sacrificial lambs to carry favour with the fans devides the dressing room before you even start. Maybe he knew they would see through him?

I just can'y believe anyone can defend Lambert, this formation hasnt been working for weeks now. So what does he do he plays it again and lo and behold a supposed 3 at the back almost immediately becomes a 5, we sit so deep inviting pressure and before you know it were 2 0 down.

An excuse given the plan was to obviously keep things tight isnt an excuse its a failing because its poor to do that at home to Newcastle and it didnt work again anyway.

Then 4 at the back and like magic we start playing football and start taking the game to Newcastle.

Blame Lerner all you want for not being a top 6 or even top 10 club but its Lamberts fault we are in a relegation fight.

I really want to support Lambert, and I suppose I will continue to do so quietly, but it's getting more and more difficult to defend him with every passing week.

It was the tactics that screwed us over last night, and the buck has to stop at Lambert's door for the way we played in the first half.

The players have to be given the right platform to perform. They need the right tactics, the right formation and enough motivation to go out there and perform to their best. They're not been given that at the moment, and while we can all see that the personnel on show aren't good enough, we can also see that they're not playing to the best of their limited abilities.

Which is convenient for Lambert.

I think its shocking how the "old heads" have been treated however poor they have been in the past. A new manager should start with a clean slate, but by making them sacrificial lambs to carry favour with the fans devides the dressing room before you even start. Maybe he knew they would see through him?

Absolute rubbish - Lambert is desperate for Dunne to be fit and will start him when he is

Bent, Ireland, Warnock and Hutton are not poor little "sacrificial lambs" - between them they are earning north of £200k a week and offer absolutely nothing

"Maybe he knew they would see through him"! How did Bent, Ireland, Warnock and Hutton gain the high ground? Lambert is a CL winner, he's got nothing to prove to those four

Criticise Lambert for whatever you want - there is plenty of things to choose but please "sacrificial lambs" FFS