Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Wow so it's as simple as that - Newcastle spent more so that's that!

Oh wait! How the **** does that explain losing to Bradford over two legs and Milwall.

Because confidence and application play a massive part too.

So many football tactical geniuses on here.

Formations are not rigid and haven't been for a long time. Games are so dynamic and players are so athletic that 5 at the back is 4 at the back with a spare midfielder. Lambert and O'Neill and many other managers have said this. It's the best 11 players and the 'system' is secondary.

Newcastle spent a lot on players in January and we haven't. They already had a much better team than us. It's as simple as that.

In that logic, Barca would win all the time anyway no matter how they set up...?

I doubt they'd get very far if they set up 5-3-1.

I don't think he will. Noises from the club indicate they plan to stick with him even if we go down and I think when it does happen Lambert will still have more support from the fans than McLeish had, meaning that Lerner will feel less pressured to act this time around.

We'll start the season the way we finished this one and we'll find ourselves near the bottom of the Championship around Christmas before Lerner finally pulls the trigger.

Yes I see a very similar scenario too if he stays. Our bunch of scared schoolboys will be bullied to death down there by the cloggers who make up most of those teams. Lambert just is not the right man for us any more. I think he fooled everyone into thinking he was the right man to start with!

Formations are not rigid and haven't been for a long time. Games are so dynamic and players are so athletic that 5 at the back is 4 at the back with a spare midfielder. Lambert and O'Neill and many other managers have said this. It's the best 11 players and the 'system' is secondary.

Newcastle spent a lot on players in January and we haven't. They already had a much better team than us. It's as simple as that.

The thing is it really doesn't take a genius to work out that we need width. The diabolical formation in the first half was shown up with the second half performance. The wing backs haven't got a clue where they are supposed to be playing. Lowton looked a completely different player when he had Weimann in front of him, there was no way that Newcastle team looked better than us tonight, not a chance.

What cost us was the way we set up in the first half, we just happened to be worse than them

Yes I see a very similar scenario too if he stays. Our bunch of scared schoolboys will be bullied to death down there by the cloggers who make up most of those teams. Lambert just is not the right man for us any more. I think he fooled everyone into thinking he was the right man to start with!

Agreed.

We need to get rid of Lambert now, bring Gregory in until the end of the season (might as well go down fighting) and try and plan for a straight bounce back up to the Premier League under a new manager.

Edited by Mantis

Lambert and O'Neil you say?  That's all right then after all you can't get better tacticians than them two?! ITS ALRIGHT EVERYONE, WE'VE GOT IT! STOP WHAT YOUR THINKING OR ABOUT TO WRITE, TACTICS AND FORMATIONS DON'T MATTER! That must be why Newcastle battered us in the first half and we in the second? I didn't realise we had actually swapped shirts at half time!

Yes, but we weren't playing a fluid formation, with players moving as the play demanded.  It was 5 at the back.  If we had played more flexibly, it might have worked better.  But then, we're not Holland 1974.

Other managers have been sacked for doing a better job than him

But of course he's still in a job because there is nobody to replace him

Lets face it you would need to be a mug to accept this job and work under the custodial clown running things

If he was at ANY other club he would have been sacked by now.

He should have gone after Bradford.

None of my colleagues who support various clubs can believe he still has a job.

They all universally concur we are one of the worst sides they have ever seen in the premier league.

Edited by jim