Paul Lambert

Pilchard

He has a young team who for the most part have played together for years with a good bit of success. Suddenly they have a chance to really impress and were gifted a fantastic opportunity to beat League 2 opposition and get to Wembley boosted by the return to fitness of a couple more experienced senior players who should also have a point to prove. Now can somebody explain to me how in the **** Lambert can't seem to motivate these players? Is it him, his staff, the players, the board, the tea and biscuits? Something somewhere along the line is severely broken at Villa.

This is not what I expected from Lambert and I still cannot fathom why it has gone so badly wrong? This is a man with a really promising CV both as a player and a manager he is a winner and someone who seems to thrive when the odds are against him. At Wycombe he did what Bradford have done so far and reached the semi's of the League cup and he held Chelsea to 1-1 draw in the first leg. He took a Norwich side in complete disarray to the 2 successive promotions into the Premiership. Then in his first year in the Premiership he got the promoted team to perform better than the likes of us.

Where has this man gone? He has the same team around him? He had money to spend in the summer? OK he inherited a couple of donkeys? He also inherited International players and a youth set up that dominated against their peers?

I know we have had injuries to Dunne, Vlaar, Gabby and Bent. I know we are the youngest side in the League. I know we are a work in progress.

But where is the progress? We play well against ManU, Arsenal and Liverpool then are truly awful against Chelsea, Spurs and Wigan. Where's the consistancy that Lambert showed at Norwich? During their successive promotions thay never lost 2 games in a row? Where's the fight shown by the Norwich side from last year? I thought we had got a manager with a Plan B?

How can a manager go from blue eyed boy to pantomine villian in less than 6 months? He gone from winner to loser in 27 games? Is it the Lerner curse? Was Norwich's form all down to Delia??? It makes no sense whatsoever, Norwich weren't full of stars, they were basically the same side that got promoted, was it the team that made Lambert look good as they are now doing with Hughton?

On paper we should have progressed this season under Lambert but either this guy has been found out or there are deeper more frightening problems at VP which will stop any manager succeeding?

Honestly, what would be the point in sacking Lambert ( I'm 100% still behind him ) who the hell is going to replace him with the mess we are in, I'll tell you bloody no one, this club was a mess a long time before he got here as the owner is hell bent on stripping the club of all it's top players to try and rectify his cock ups in the past of allowing MON to waste too much money and his own ridiculous record of paying millions in compensation to previous managers, another change in manager will come with yet more compensation paid, more new ideas that will take even more time to implement, no thanks I'll stick with Lambert please even if that means taking two steps backwards (relegation) to move three-four steps forward, Lambert must be shell shocked to see the complete ineptness of some of the players at the moment and that applies to some of the players he brought, stick with Lambert and eventually we will get back to where we belong up that table qualifying for Europe, it may take a while but I have faith.....UTV SOTC

Edited by LeafyVilla

It seems Lambert believed the hype about himself. Why else would he be stupid enough to:

Have team with an average age of 23

Average hight of 5'7 (wild guess with no research)

Almost no experience from the PL (or anywhere else)

Freeze out the few players who actually proved they can play at this level

Buy young players from the lower leagues and think they can just step in and play a key part from day 1

and so on and so on...

But that's all ok because I am super Paul Lambert the next Alex Ferguson and the best young manager in the world

Edited by sne

I honestly think it's the players we have. A Bannan-Delph 2 man midfield is one of the worst I've ever seen. They're so lightweight and scared to pass forward without hoofing it holds us back to no end. We had no other central midfielders to play. Apart from that we have our ridiculously inexperienced back 4. All Lambert needs to do is buy some good experienced players in midfield and defence and players like Westwood, Baker and Lowton will shine. A defensive midfielder and a center back is a must for PL this window, possibly 2 each and I hope he signs them very soon as we are in deep shit at the moment.

I stand by the fact our best players this season have been players Lanbert signed from the lower leagues with games under their belts.

I think it's the first time I've seen him criticise our players too. Perhaps this is one defeat to far for the likes of Delph and Bannan. No Doubting the Wigan performance has seen PL have no faith to use Ireland again.

With the signings he made he took a massive risk. It looks like that risk has gone sour.

Every manager improves results when they first come in... players looking to impress and have an extra bounce in their step. That period has now gone and we are left with 11 headless chickens who are clueless about how to defend or attack properly. The difference yesterday was simply Bradford wanted the result more than us. If it was down to quality we would have won.

I don't mind losing to the Chelsea, Spurs, Wigan or even Bradford but I do mind losing in the manner in which we have. It's simply an embarrassment to our proud club. It's nothing short of disgraceful. I'm behind Lambert but this situation is pretty **** up and it needs to get unfucked very quickly else Lambert will be public enemy number one.

Time is running out.

I guess its better to keep PL even if we are relegated. I do think there is a good manager in there somewhere and we cant keep on firing managers every year, we must have some stability.

I guess he had hoped so much more from KEA, with him beeing our DCM.

He needs to pull his finger out and sign some defenders and midfielders now. Players like Coutnho, M'Vila, Kjaer, Alderweireld. Not players like Dale Stephens or Joe Bennett. They won't turn our performances around.

We are in a crisis and if Lambert is to be backed by Lerner he needs to do it ASAP.

Big week for Lambert coming up.

Edited by jacketspuds

Lambert has done really bad, but sacking him now is not the answer. He should be given the whole season. Hell, even McShit got the whole season ( though he was doing a much better job if we're honest ).

Only a month ago, after the l'pool result, people were discussing how none of the players could be replaced cause apprently they were all that good and talented, now it's all doom. A couple of good results will swing the mood again. We need a couple of decent january signings to survive, not even that expensive, a CB and a DM, someone like Parker on loan and maybe a Distin. Our squad is bad but it's not that bad, especially the attacking options, we just need to be more organized and get a result or two to help raise the morale. That said, if we manage to survive, most of the players Lambert bought should be shipped out. Bennet, Lowton, KEA have been awful. Westwood is alright but hasn't shown anything special yet. Benteke is good, but we shouldn't just hoof it to him.

It's OK to try to play a young side, it's OK to play 3 or 4 youngsters at a time, but what he's trying to do is never going to work, not even Mourinho could get results with a defence consisting of Lowton-Clark-Baker-Bennett, shielded by Delph and Bannan. Like someone said, Lambert must have believed his own hype. These results would have hopefully brought him down to earth.

Why do I feel it is madness to sack him?

We've been atrocious all season and after last night you'd expect any manager to be sacked, but for some reason I feel that sacking him is never going to happen.

Agreed. The cup would have been nice but it doesnt matter. Survival does matter.

Sorry but this makes no sense

We played a full strength side and lost to league 2 Bradford 3 - 1

If we cannot beat League 2 Bradford how can we expect to "Survive" in the Premiership

We really are shit and it should be starting to sink in with everybody how shit we really are

A Wembley appearance would have given some gloss on a dire season

Edited by AshVilla

A good manager can at least organise 11 mediocre players. We don't even have that. He doesn't have a clue, no tactics, no game plan, no fight, no motivation. Appalling results , smashing all the wrong records, sorry but time is up. If he stays it will get worse and worse.