Paul Lambert

Pilchard

We didn't match them for effort last night. It's the managers job to ensure that the eleven players who he picks are properly motivated and ready for the battle. If he can't do that, and the signs were there last night, then we have no hope.

Southampton is now a make or break game for Lambert. Fans will be on a knife edge and if we go behind and are struggling, the mood could turn ugly. If this happens it will become untenable for him and this very fragile team will sink under the pressure.

On the playing front - a top notch CB - and a midfielder would probably be enough to keep us up.

Problem is Lamberts credibility is shot to pieces - Lets say he recalled Hutton\Warnock and we won a game - great - but his young and hungry project would be in tatters - If I suspect he promised to rebuild villa with gems from the lower leagues, and our academy - its not as easy as phoning Randy, saying i need 2 £10m players , on 70k a week.

Ive been thinking relegation since we failed to beat norwich at home - I really can't see any way forward. I reckon PL can't either - which is why I wouldn't be surprised if he quits after the southampton game.

Wouldnt bother me if he went, he doesnt look capable of getting the players up for a game. They all look like piss heads trying to play football. Massive work needed in the next 2 weeks. Last night was the lowest in 30 months of dire absolute shite. Losing 8-0 to chelsea was bad, but conceding 3 to a team 3 leagues below when theres a chance of a final. Jesus.

When players under Houllier or McLeish couldnt be arsed it was their poor man management skills and motivation that were blamed yet under Lambert its the players fault.

I was really pleased when we signed him and he has signed some good players but you cant ignore some things that are making me question him. You cant ignore how bad our organisation is. You cant ignore that simple decisions like taking Bennett and Bannan off last night werent taken when they were clearly struggling. Paul Lambert was a very good midfield player yet we choose to bypass this area far far too much. Chris Herd isnt much of a defender but at the moment he's our best available DM yet Bannan, Delph, KEA,none of whom are DM's are getting picked ahead of him. Why didnt Bowery make the bench?

We are breaking al the wrong records left, right and centre and this season, especially if we get knocked out by Bradford, is somehow turning out worse than last, I dont see how Lambert can be devoid of criticism and blame when he central to everything going on.

The Cuellar calls are a joke, he has been as bad as any of our defenders this season.

Good morning all,

I'm going to try and bring a bit of reality to this topic. Now I know last night's result was disgraceful and embarrassing. The defending was schoolboyish and as you look ahead to the forthcoming league matches with Southampton and West Brom it certainly doesn't look good. But I shall make a couple of points in the hope, once again, that some of you will look at the overall picture and maybe afford Lambert some time.

Whether any of you like it or not - cuts have been enforced on him. I read a lot of you say he doesn't spend his full quota of money but believe me there was NOTHING left for him to play with and what he got he had to fight tooth and nail for! It is the same in regard to the wages - he has to getb them down. If you don't like that those two FACTS then your problem isn't with the manager.

He had only had one transfer window to try and bring in some new faces. Compared to other clubs, he has spent hardly anything. For the state Villa were in when he took over it was always going to require major investment which wasn't there. Now I can confirm he has drawn up an extensive list of signing targets and has made it clear to the powers that be that it is vital more new players with a bit more experience are delivered! If and when they come is now down to the moneymen!

I do think new signings will arrive......and these results will only put pressure on the board to deliver. I will also tell you there isn't a hope in hell of the board sacking Lambert as they are fully aware of what he is having to work with - or as is the case - what he is having to work with...the players simply aren't good enough.

This isn't the time for real supporters to play the blame game. New players WILL arrive this month. After that, you can begin to judge Lambert. Every manager deserves a couple of transfer windows to try and put things right and with the state Villa were/are in the he deserves it more than most. He will turn it around. But results might not pick up until he gets the players he has identified in!

Are you Mysteryman in disguise or Gazton?

I'm not one calling for Lamberts head by the way and it's good to hear that Lambert has targets lined up. Fingers crossed Lerner is prepared to write a lot of cheques this month.

Good morning all,

I'm going to try and bring a bit of reality to this topic. Now I know last night's result was disgraceful and embarrassing. The defending was schoolboyish and as you look ahead to the forthcoming league matches with Southampton and West Brom it certainly doesn't look good. But I shall make a couple of points in the hope, once again, that some of you will look at the overall picture and maybe afford Lambert some time.

Whether any of you like it or not - cuts have been enforced on him. I read a lot of you say he doesn't spend his full quota of money but believe me there was NOTHING left for him to play with and what he got he had to fight tooth and nail for! It is the same in regard to the wages - he has to getb them down. If you don't like that those two FACTS then your problem isn't with the manager.

He had only had one transfer window to try and bring in some new faces. Compared to other clubs, he has spent hardly anything. For the state Villa were in when he took over it was always going to require major investment which wasn't there. Now I can confirm he has drawn up an extensive list of signing targets and has made it clear to the powers that be that it is vital more new players with a bit more experience are delivered! If and when they come is now down to the moneymen!

I do think new signings will arrive......and these results will only put pressure on the board to deliver. I will also tell you there isn't a hope in hell of the board sacking Lambert as they are fully aware of what he is having to work with - or as is the case - what he is having to work with...the players simply aren't good enough.

This isn't the time for real supporters to play the blame game. New players WILL arrive this month. After that, you can begin to judge Lambert. Every manager deserves a couple of transfer windows to try and put things right and with the state Villa were/are in the he deserves it more than most. He will turn it around. But results might not pick up until he gets the players he has identified in!

I have wanted to be positive and we know that Lamberts hands seem a bit tied, but I said on here after hearing his pre-Ipswich press conference that I was worried by his lack of any apparent plan. He was all talk about we'll sit down and see what we can do, and January is a bad month for bringing in players etc. We are a shambles defensively and in midfield, but we haven't hit the ground running during this window.

If new players arrive post a defeat to Southampton, then it might be too late as the fans will have turned.

Lambert looked like a broken man on the sideline last night. He might just realise that the players he has are not good enough and that his transfer kitty is not big enough.

Good morning all,

Problem is what players will come to a club in turmoil and with 50/50 change of getting relegated.

Hairyhands

To claim that you know exact budgets and wages is a big call. Can you not give us anything to back up or prove that you are someone who knows what's going on in the club??

Also you say people who believe he had money left over are wrong?? but lambert said that himself. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would say something for the sake of it.

• Like 1

If people want to have faith in lambert then fair enough but moaning about fans who aren't happy is ridiculous.

And can we stop with the excuses? It's really starting to look pathetic.

The guy was not backed in the summer enough but that's just one problem.

He's been awful so far.

Not sure sacking him will change anything right now but I can't defend what's happened so far.

It's been a complete disaster.

Good morning all,

Good morning all,

What utter rubbish.

If Lambert knew that his hands were going to be tied why did he leave Norwich?

Secondly he did not spend all of his budget and actually stated this himself.

He placed a bid for Clint Dempsey when most of our transfer business had been done in the summer.

I'm sorry but you continually come on here and spout this rubbish without any foundation whatsoever which has me reaching for the ignore button.

I'm sorry but you continually come on here and spout this rubbish without any foundation whatsoever which has me reaching for the ignore button.

Weird...

i am seeing more posters on here every day stating the use of the ignore button as some sort of trophy. I think it's a cop out because it's actually not promoting passive debate!

i happen to believe that the 'ignore button' is a cop out for those who would rather hear everything is all sweetness and light as apposed to the reality of our situation at the moment.

;)

Edited by Stevo985

I wanted PL as Villa boss last year, have believed in a "project" and still hold hope that he can build something here, however recently he has made some wrong calls line up wise and substitutions wise. Have I lost complete hope, no, there is no point in calling for his head, who else is available and how much is it going tho cost, I'd rather spend that on reinforcing the squad with new signings. Also if we do not make some reinforcements and soon we are very much a favorite to go down, again in that senario would I want PL sacked, not sure, would be very disappointed in him but then again he would probably be one of the best candidates to get us back up. Very hard times to be a Villa fan right now and although PL is rightly being questioned we should stick with him, Randy look at this mess YOU have created and give you manager some real support.

I think Lambert's fed up demeanour last night was him knowing that what he had out on the pitch isn't good enough. The tactics/formation isn't the issue for me. The players know they can't cope - hence a complete lack of motivation. They're too scared to want the ball and just panic when they get it. Bennett was like a rabbit in the headlights. Lambert knows they can't cope, Lerner and Faulkner have to know they can't cope.

You read about young players joining big clubs and having the likes of a Roy Keane or Viera breathing down their necks in training from day one - cajoling them and constantly at them to improve every part of their game. We simply don't have that.

The next few weeks are huge - it's up to RL to decide if he wants to finance it, and PL to bring the required players.

Sacking Lambert is madness - we'll be right back here in a year's time with the next guy - either fighting relegation or rebuilding in the Championship. If it's the latter - Lambert's probably the most qualified to do it.

It's major biting of the bullet - but stability has to be the priority.

• Like 1

I don't know how people can say Lambert looks 'lost' or 'bewildered' or 'broken' from a five second cutaway to a shot of a man sitting down on a bench. If he was screaming and shouting, jumping up and down, would that mean that he wasn't lost etc? How do you know what he is thinking? He doesn't give away a great deal to the press either.

And yet Carlos has played all season whilst Vlaar has been on the treatment table for months with no sign of return. We had to pay a transfer fee to make this happen as well. Beggers belief...

Yeah I can see that you are being absolutely fair there. (as I said I would have kept Carlos but there again I don't have access to the medical records that the physio and medical staff have)

We're all hurting at the moment mate but your one-eyed view of things "Beggers (sic) belief"

If Lambert really is having his hands tied then he needs to issue Lerner with an ultimatum - give him the money or he'll leave the sinking ship.

Not too sure with that... He's at the biggest club he's ever been at, then he's got the pay check to consider. Why walk when he can get sacked for money ? But things will never get as bad as mcleish got so he has absolutely nothing to lose by staying.

He clearly cares for the club and wants to do well but in the last few years at our club thats easier said than done.