Paul Lambert

Pilchard

havent you previously said he wasn't backed enough, or as much as some of us said he would be?

Nope not me. Fact is he WAS backed with £24m and he says there was more to spend ?

Aside from buying crap players, what's more concerning is his tactical failings . He is clueless, the worst manager at villa I can remember. This season has been the most humiliating and time is now up for the Scottish dick.

still have faith in him but last night was a worry and seen me turn a little sour on him.

what sort of clueless longball tactics were we playing when Bradford looked terrified when running at them, it was like McLeish mk2

CI is right. Lambert did have money to spend.

We bought a back line minus Clark and they are poor or injured, Vlaar is still down as TBC on thephysioroom.com

We were better off with Collins and Cuellar

Lowton and Vlaar are not "poor". Bennett still has something to prove but was MOTM Saturday. All will look better when a decent midfield emerges

Almost without exception fans wanted Collins gone (and he was supposedly poison in the dressing room), Cuellar was injury prone and a gamble if he stayed.

We were poor last night. Lambert needs to shoulder some of the responsibility for that - Delph and Bannan were awful (although they should have had enough to boss MF against a L2 team)

I'm concerned, not because I think PL is a poor manager but becasue I think he is a good one - RL's policy has us walking a tightrope. Our squad is really poor and we need to spend to improve it - we need 4 very decent players bought in

I do not want to change managers as yet again the money would be wasted rather than going to where it should be - players,

We have some good players at the club of this there is no doubt, if many of our players were transfered they would probably shine in another team which has experience and stability,

The Chelsea result was a bigger set back than we feared, confidence is totally shot, players do not trust other players and end up out of position trying to cover other players.

What should but can't happen is for some players to be given a rest and allowed to recover, this is why we need to bring in new players, players who can give encouragement and guidance, players who the young ones can look up to and try and impress.

PL can see this he is not stupid but judging by his manner he will not be allowed to, he will be asked to carry on regardless and hope he can turn it round, I fear for us if we loose to Southampton and the baggies, there may be no way back.

Nope not me. Fact is he WAS backed with £24m and he says there was more to spend ?

Aside from buying crap players, what's more concerning is his tactical failings . He is clueless, the worst manager at villa I can remember. This season has been the most humiliating and time is now up for the Scottish dick.

More like £18m for EIGHT players

I was really disappointed last night with PL. Not only did he field a selection of clueless players lacking any kind of motivation, confidence or organisation. He sat slumped in his seat with a face like a smacked arse pretty much the whole game. It may have been a bit of "reorgansiing the chairs on the Titanic" but he should have been at the edge of his technical area organising his young inexperienced players.

I think this is what worried me most about last night. You can be misled by body language of course, but Lambert appeared to have accepted defeat from the second half onwards. He just sat looking very miserable. His post-match comments didn't help either - something like "We always concede from corners".

No leadership from the bench, no leadership on the pitch - is it any wonder we lost? Bradford had both of those things in abundance.

I'm left wondering if Lambert has mentally thrown in the towel on this job?

Edited by briny_ear

Zero point in getting rid of Lambert he is not the main problem, experience is.

Replacing him with the greatest manager in the history would make no difference.

Knee jerk reactions are what got us in the shit. I'm sure we could sign any old players on any old wages like QPR but it will not get us anywhere. Fans will feel better for the short term but in the long term will feel like they do now again.

He is the right man for the job. But Lerner and Henke need to influence his movements in the market.

Young and hungry. Yes.

More currently-developed and of a higher quality needed. Also more experience needed.

You don't bring in 8 developed, experienced, high quality players for £18m. For that money you are buying potential

PL takes some responsibility (and I back him to get things right) but the majority of blame lies elsewhere. Money wasted by previous managers, poor purchases and little control from the top - if we are relying on RL to "influence PL's transfer targets" we are doomed

PL took over a dismal dreadful squad and it will take him 18-24 months to build something sustainable - for the time being it will be a very bumpy ride.

Edited by VillaCas

Vlaar - crock

Bennett - garbage

KEA - garbage

Lowton - poor defensively

Westwood - too early to say

Benteke - cross between Heskey and Drogba

Bowery - not PL standard, not a goals corer

Who the other ??

What about his dire tactics ??

You are over complicating our midfield problems, the simple fact is that we get caught with too many players beyond the ball. Countless times last night, Delph and Bannan were in a decent position but got shredded because Weimann, Gabby and N'Zogbia had gone beyond the ball leaving gaps all over the place. There is no defender in this country who is comfortable with players running at him, let alone a couple of kids learning their trade, until the manager realises that we need to keep our shape then we will continue to see teams of all levels cut through us. On occasion, this will see us win handsomely (Liverpool, Norwich) but in the most part, our openess will lead to goals against and with the confidence so fragile this leads to heavy defeats.

The same problem occurs for the fullbacks, (neither of whom I rate, Bennett in particular is a liability) Gabby offers a certain amount of support but it depends whether he is switched on or pondering a complex mathematical equation. Weimann is a tryer but he often ends up down a blind alley high up the pitch or ready to run in behind when the ball is given away and then of course we have N'Zogbia who seems to think he is playing a game of Fifa when you play as only one player and take everyone on looking for a wonder goal.

Our midfield is on a hiding to nothing all the time, early on we came short and knocked it around, as the game wore on everyone ran away, all trying to get off a Benteke flick. They migh not be great but the 2 lads are always under pressure, launch it forward, headed away and suddenly several players bearing down on them. At times Bannan's lack of appetite for any kind of challenge is inexcusable, ultimately that will cost him as he will never have a long career at the top level, unless he has a couple of workers behind him.

One of the most worrying things last night was the fact that we started both halves at great speed, but were quietened and eventually seen off........That is exactly what you would expect from the League Two side. Benteke's finishing was woeful and we should have won this game comfortably, Lambert appears clueless but his players let him down by not being able to score goals against a piss poor opposition. Tactically I believe Lambert is pretty poor and the holes are obvious, but once across the white line, he can't finish the sitters or make them defend corners properly.

the hounding of Lambert by some people is just as embarrassing as last nights defeat. Our best players this season have been players he's signed. he joined us in the summer with a woefully unbalanced squad, he said himself he weren't happy with it once the August window had shut, but in turn you have to give some players the chance to grow or hang them selves. It's sad to see that the majority of players have made it clear they aren't good enough.

Barring Weimann, Lowton, Westwood, Vlaar, Benteke and Guzan. that's still some way from having a decent team. Experience pros like Ireland, Gabby and Bent are showing themselves not worthy of the shirt while the true ability of the likes of Delph, Bannan and Clark has been revealed in the harshest of winters. Regardless of if we escape relegation, the squad needs gutting.

He didn't have to spend it on 8 mediocre players though did he? He could have bought 4 good ones and used the experienced players we have and we wouldn't be in this mess.

but what about when our injuriy hit squad? we'd have had the likes of Burkey, Grealish and Williams all on about 10 appearences each.

Vlaar - crock

Bennett - garbage

KEA - garbage

Lowton - poor defensively

Westwood - too early to say

Benteke - cross between Heskey and Drogba

Bowery - not PL standard, not a goals corer

Who the other ??

What about his dire tactics ??

I'm liking your fair and positive assessment

He didn't have to spend it on 8 mediocre players though did he? He could have bought 4 good ones and used the experienced players we have and we wouldn't be in this mess.

We had this yesterday didn't we - he had to cut the wage bill

Twitter in overdrive that a board meeting has been called - doubt it myself.

Even anyone of the opinion that Lambert should go must realise now would be a ridiculous time to sack him.

Lowton and Vlaar are not "poor". Bennett still has something to prove but was MOTM Saturday. All will look better when a decent midfield emerges

Almost without exception fans wanted Collins gone (and he was supposedly poison in the dressing room), Cuellar was injury prone and a gamble if he stayed.

We were poor last night. Lambert needs to shoulder some of the responsibility for that - Delph and Bannan were awful (although they should have had enough to boss MF against a L2 team)

I'm concerned, not because I think PL is a poor manager but becasue I think he is a good one - RL's policy has us walking a tightrope. Our squad is really poor and we need to spend to improve it - we need 4 very decent players bought in

agree with that, the only slight difference is I would have kept Carlos, he'd walk into the defence now and how he would Elc us

Zero point in getting rid of Lambert he is not the main problem, experience is.

Replacing him with the greatest manager in the history would make no difference.

Knee jerk reactions are what got us in the shit. I'm sure we could sign any old players on any old wages like QPR but it will not get us anywhere. Fans will feel better for the short term but in the long term will feel like they do now again.

agree totally